“Christmas breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brandon, Vermont, United States
“Christmas breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We just had the most wonderful time with our three young daughters at Middlebury Inn's Christmas character breakfast in the founder's room. The food was yummy, the tickets were affordable for local families, and the room just looked perfect, with tasteful, festive decorations festooning the classy function space. Comfortable, quality chairs and the smiling staff kept the buffet well-supplied. One even volunteered to take our whole family picture with one of the characters so Dad could be part of it. The half-dozen or so Christmas characters in costume were very good with the children, and the balloon for each child was a welcome surprise. Really a very special morning, like an hour at Disney but without the plane ride. Thank you, Middlebury Inn!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
This is the second year that we have sponsored the BMP Character Breakfast and we think it's a perfect fit for the Middlebury Inn. I'm glad you agree. The holidays are a special time in Middlebury and the Better Middlebury Partnership does a great job of turning our town into a magic 'Disney like' wonderland. The Character Breakfast is just one of the special events that locals and visitors can enjoy. We'll see you next year.

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Gloucester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was looking for a getaway in the mountains. Booked a deal for 2 nights for $199 and a $30 credit toward food. We arrived 2 hours before check in time it was 1pm, we were able to check in and were even upgraded to a king bed.The room was nice with a jacuzzi tub in the marble bathroom. We were on the top floor with a nice view of the commons. They have complimentary coffee/tea in the AM and afternoon tea with scones or cookies in the afternoon. Walk to everything downtown Middlebury has.

Room Tip: ask for the top floor for best views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
You hit all the high points - early checkin, large rooms, good view, complimentary afternoon tea, convenient to downtown - I couldn't have said it better. And you got a good deal through TravelZoo! Thanks for visiting.

Windham, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My sister and I recently enjoyed a two day stay at this hotel. Historic, beautifully restored, right in the center of the most charming little Vermont town. Service was excellent and so friendly and laid back but the real joy of the trip was the food. Breakfast, lunch or dinner the menu was thoughtful and varied. Prices were reasonable. Quality of food and presentation impeccable. Quite a bargain in my opinion.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to stay in main part of the inn because they have a travel lodge too.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
My Chef was thrilled to read your comments. He and his staff work hard to create menus with fresh Vermont ingredients and prepare the selections with care and attention. I'm glad you noticed and commented. We also have a TripAdvisor site for our restaurant - Morgan's Tavern - please pay us a visit.

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at the Middlebury Inn for one night on a brief business trip in November. I was pleasantly surprised on check-in to learn that I had been upgraded to one of the hotel's suites. While my co-workers commented on the small sizes of their rooms, mine was very large and spacious. Actually, it consisted of two rooms, each with its own bathroom. The smaller room, without the bed was kind of like a narrow sitting room with couch and TV. On my trip I certainly didn't have any use for it and I found myself trying to imagine if I would use it on any type of trip. In any case, it was nice to have so much space. The hotel is obviously old, so you need to accept the fact that the floor creaks and there aren't many square corners, so things may look like they don't fit together so well. Also, minor things might not be where you expect, such as light switches (which I fumbled around for 2 or 3 minutes in the dark to find). But, overall, I thought the decorating was well done. The one thing I did not like about the room was the heating. Both rooms had radiators and window mounted heating/air conditioning units. Both units were cranked up as high as they would go on heating when I arrived, and my room must have been 80 degrees. The noise level of the units was also quite loud and eventually I just had to turn them off.

The location of the hotel seems ideal. While our stay was brief, we found plenty of restaurants to choose from just a short walk from the hotel. Once you're there, you really don't even need your car to enjoy the downtown area. It's nice to check out the downstairs lobby, which is well decorated and has some impressive old pictures of the hotel and local area.

We only had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. There were not many people at the hotel at that time, so they did not set up a buffet. The menu had plenty to pick from and all my co-workers seemed to enjoy what they ordered. The price was quite reasonable at about $10-12 for a full breakfast.

For what limited conversation I had with them, the staff were courteous and friendly. The room preparation and maid service were spotless. I definitely would like to revisit this hotel sometime when I have some more leisure time.

Room Tip: The main hotel seems nicer than the building in back.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Creaking floors seems to be a comment that is getting alot of use lately and although we try to remediate this 'feature', it's not always successful. I guess I've become used to it, but through our guest's ears, I'm starting to think we need to address this.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the upgraded room, however. As part of our 'HUG' program, we always upgrade a number of reservations each night when availability allows. Thank you for your detailed comments - I appreciate the thought that went into it.

Oxford, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Found this hotel through TA reviews and it was a good choice. Charming architecture, nice big bedrooms, very helpful staff. Decent food in the restaurant. It's a 5 minute drive to Middlebury College or you could walk.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
We are located overlooking the Green in Middlebury and we couldn't be more convenient to both downtown and the beautiful Middlebury College campus. The college was founded in 1800 and our Inn dates to 1827 so we have a long history together. I'm happy you made the connection through Trip Advisor and thank you for your nice comments.

Sintra, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very friendly personnel. Lovely old hotel with accommodations for three senior women at a very reasonable rate. Played cards in the lobby and they gave us recommendations for a late-night snack. Excellent buffet breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
All the way from Portugal to our corner of Vermont! I'm happy that you found our nice old Inn a pleasant place to stop over and I appreciate you're nice comments. I hope we gave you a packet of our Middlebury Inn Playing Cards.

Rochester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned from a quick stay at the Middlebury Inn in VT. Had never been to the area before. Loved the historic building, front desk staff was very welcoming, location was perfect. Walking distance to the main street of shops and the village. We stayed in the main Inn. The rooms were what you'd expect for a building of that age... 'charming' but not modern. Bed and Bath were clean and comfortable. Room got a little chilly at night (I liked it!). Seemed like it might be quite chilly later in the season. Would definitely go back and especially for a fall visit to the area and town. It looked like a great spot to have a Thanksgiving getaway.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Charm and History are our middle names. We're far from a cookie cutter hotel chain and that's why many of our guests keep coming back and I hope you'll do the same. You're correct that fall is special in Vermont and although we call November 'stick season', Thanksgiving can be a comfortable and traditional time of year to experience all that we offer. Thank you.

Geoff Conrad

Been to Middlebury Inn? Share your experiences!