“Just what I wanted” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Barnstead Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manchester
The Barnstead Inn
You added The Barnstead Inn to your Saves list
Bonnet Street, P O Box 988, Manchester, VT 05255   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Manchester B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“Just what I wanted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My stay at the Barnstead Inn was exactly what I had hoped for. I was visiting friends living on a farm west of the tiny village of Dorset where accommodations were considerably more costly and without knowing how great the location of the Inn was, I booked it because it looked nice and was reasonably priced. As it turned out this location was perfect. Manchester Center has stores, restaurants, and most importantly the Spiral Press Coffee Shop (more about that in another review) within walking distance from the Inn.

My room was small but very comfortable in the large green Main Building which appears to have been a barn at one time. Exposed heavy timbers in the room remind you of its past. There was a refrigerator, a flat screen TV and a clock with iPod dock so in spite of its small size there really was nothing missing that I had to have. The lack of a phone in the room seems to me to become less and less significant as cell service improves even in rural areas like Southwestern Vermont.

I had a comfortable Queen bed and a high-backed lounge chair with closet and chest of drawers that were more than adequate for my 3 night stay. As it happened, the weather turned wintry while I was there and the well-heated space and faux wood stove were quite welcoming when I returned on a very snowy night.

Neil the proprietor couldn't have been nicer. When I was outside brushing 4 inches of snow off my rental car the morning after the big snow he came out with a large tool that made the job much easier. I hadn't asked for this nor his company chatting with me while I was attending to cleaning up the car, but he stuck around. This is the kind of personal service that one hopes for at small Inns like the Barnstead. . .friendly and attentive without being intrusive. After I had checked out and headed down the street for coffee Neil called me on my cell phone to let me know I had left my iPad in the room. At that point it was easy to return for it so I really appreciated his efforts.

There are many choices for lodging in the area around Manchester but when I am back there I will return to the Barnstead.

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room facing the parking area which made me a little self-conscious with the cur...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hyannis, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here in the early '90s after a disappointing stay at the Equinox. We found it charming and friendly, and wanted to return for ski season. But life got in the way, and the years slipped by. Finally returned for a brief stay last week and were not disappointed. This is a quaint country inn with a variety of accommodations to satisfy any budget. It is conveniently located a short walk/drive to the center of the village, and a short drive to several Ski areas. We stayed in the Green River room which was large, tastefully decorated and very comfortable. The fireplace was great. Didn't stay long enough to get a feel for service, but based on other reviews this doesn't seem to be a problem.
Overall a clean relaxed country inn that I will return to.

Room Tip: The website is very helpful in selecting a room, I would tend towards the larger(albeit more expensi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had the good fortune to spend a lovely, stormy/snowy weekend at The Barnstead Inn in Manchester, VT. Our experience was nothing short of amazing-beautiful, clean, charming room; warm and inviting, with so many quaint Vermont touches that made our stay so enchanting. Innkeeper Neil went out of his way to accommodate us and to make this such a wonderful experience. We were in the Green Room, a lodge room that feels like the best of Vermont. Furniture is so comfortable and many pieces are antique, and the bed is a dream. The bathroom and jaccuzi was so relaxing, and the fireplace made a perfect touch. With shopping and fine restaurants only just down the street, we were able to make the most of our stay. We plan on booking another stay before we leave to try another room. If you are looking for a romantic get a way, this is the place to make a reservation! Close to ski areas, outlet shops and beautiful grounds. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: The Green Room is wonderful-one of the nicest I have ever been in!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I spent a recent weekend in Manchester Vermont and stayed at the Barnstead Inn. The inn was once a farm and the rooms are in the restored barn complete with much of the old beams and woodwork. We stayed in the Battenkill suite, a very private and cozy bedroom with a king bed along with a separate sitting room with love seat, chair, and gas fireplace. The Barnstead is a clean comfortable place that is carefully maintained by the owners who are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NEW JERSEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was surprised to read a negative review about the Barnstead from a few months ago. I actually question if they had the name right of where they were staying since it was so totally opposite of anything we have experienced there!! My husband and I have stayed there several times and plan on going back next month. The rooms we have been in have all been great, Neil and Cindy are always gracious hosts, and we love the convenience to town. My husband is an avid fly fisherman and loves that he can walk into the small stream down the block to "play" before he goes to the big rivers. Our last visit was the days before "Sandy" hit and we drove home the first day of the storm. Neil even called us that night to see if we made it home to NJ okay. Great place to kick back and relax and enjoy Vermont

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I had an amazing time at the Barnstead Inn and cannot wait to go back! The rooms are great - we stayed in the Green River room - absolutely amazing. Really great size, very comfortable, warm/cozy atmosphere, clean, plenty of room for a couple - includes a sitting area as well as a kitchenette, plenty of closet & drawer space, a fireplace, and a big bathroom complete w/ a jacuzzi tub. This room truly made our trip amazing - it really felt like we were staying in a house which is exactly what we were looking for. It was also very private, which was nice. Prices were also very reasonable.

The Inn is also in a great location - just a 10 minute walk into Manchester Center!!

Neal (owner) was a great host - very accommodating and made us feel right at home... it really never felt like we were at an Inn, which is tough to find these days!

Room Tip: Green River Room! Highly recommended!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I started visiting the Barnstead Inn with my parents and brother when I was a kid. We would drive up on a Friday night, get up in the morning and drive to Bromley or Stratton Mountains just 10 minutes away for a day of skiing. Now that I'm married, my husband and I continue the tradition every year, and he loves it just as much as me. We have brought our friends up and they love it too and return with us every year. The Barnstead has the old Vermont charm that I remember from my childhood, back when the old Jelly Mill was still around and Manchester was a little less built up (don't get me wrong, I love all the shopping and dining that's available now, and the Barnstead is less than a minute drive to the center of town). The rooms are very quiet and warm, with quaint, adorable decorations and comfortable beds. The bathrooms are clean and the water is always hot. The mini-fridge in the room is the perfect size to hold our cold apres-ski beers. Neil and Cynthia are always warm and welcoming, and remember us year after year. We feel like we are visiting a home away from home when we stay at the Barnstead, and we can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Barnstead Inn? Share your experiences!