“The Manchester View, NO MORE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Manchester View

You added Manchester View to your Saves list
Manchester View
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   77 High Meadow Way & VT-7A, P.O. Box 1268, Manchester, VT 05255   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Manchester
NJ
“The Manchester View, NO MORE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I just returned from Manchester. We stayed at The Manchester View and will not return. We stayed for three nights (told had to book three). The first two nights were spent in what we call "the room from hell".

First, when I called for reservations, I had booked a room (cheaper) for two nights. In about 15 minutes, the motel called me back and said the room was not available. They had The Robert Frost Room available. Since we decided on trip at the last minute, there were not too many rooms available in some of the nicer establishments. I agreed to book the room and then was told I had to book for 3 nights not 2. When I got my confirmation in the mail, I noticed they charged 50%, not the usual one night deposit. We arrived at the hotel and were shown the room. The room is in an old barn and it appears that this room is the last they usually rent. The tile floor in the bathroom looked as if it had not been washed in months. There was no deadbolt or extra lock on the door. If I leaned on the door, it probably would have opened. The room also had a musty odor. I immediately checked their website and saw that they had a queen room available. I went to the office and asked if we could move to that room. The owner told me no because maybe she would book it. I believe that she didn't want to give it to us because it was a cheaper room even though I did not even care if I paid the higher price. She said that maybe on Sun, I could change rooms.

So, we go to room and put on air conditioner. The air conditioner was so noisy that we didn't sleep for two nights. I mean it banged loudly when it went on and off. It was like living in a construction zone. We also heard the water leaking from the conditioner onto the rug.

On Sunday morning, we asked if we could finally change rooms.
We chose a room and were told it was fine for us to change to the other room. In about 15 minutes, the front desk called and said we'd have to pay another $20.00. I said no. They gave us a different room. It was better.

I found that the establishment cuts corners, plays "games" and is just worried about booking a room and have no concern for their customers. In the eight years that we've been visiting Vermont (at least twice a year), I have never seen owners that are more worried about the money than the customers. We will not recommend this motel and we will not go back. It's back to the Palmer House for us.

Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

We have been staying at the Manchester View for several years as our daughter and family live close by. This time, when the weather was extremely hot for June, we were told that our grandchildren couldn't swim in the pool as they were not registered guests. They have used the pool before without any comments. If they are so concerned about liability, the reason they gave us, then why not have us sign a waiver or something. We would have paid a few dollars for a day pass. What are they thinking...we were there, as always, to visit family? This seems family-UNfriendly and will make me look around for other options in the area. There are MANY other places to choose from!

It was the owners that made these comments. Jason is great and helpful...it's just that his hands are tied.

• Liked — scenic views comfortable large rooms
  • Disliked — friendliness of owners
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Manchester View three year ago just before we were married in Manchester. For our anniversary this year, we wanted to go back to the Manchester View to celebrate.

I first called and left a message on the Manchester View's voice mail to make a reservation. I never received a call back. Since no one returned my call and after waiting 3 days, I decided to book a room online. I put in all of our reservation information and received a reservation request. I then waited for my reservation confirmation. I waited and waited and waited. Four days later, I called the inn and finally got someone on the line. Turns out my reservation request was "lost". They did not apologize for failing to call me back or to complete the reservation.

Instead, after "finding" my reservation request they told me I could not book a room as there was a minimum 3 night stay during the month of July. I explained that nowhere on the website did I see this and the problems I had even getting someone to talk to me about the reservation. The man I spoke to, Jason, understood my confusion and told me it "happens all the time". He said if it was up to him, he'd let my husband and I stay the two nights because of all the available rooms at the inn. He assured me that he would talk to the owner about allowing us to stay the two nights and get back to me by the next day. Needless to say, he never got back to me.

I waited another 3 days before calling the inn and having to relay my entire reservation request story again! The women I spoke to on the phone, Judy, told me she would talk to the owner and get back to me. Five minutes later she called to tell me that the owner would not accommodate us and we had to make a 3 night reservation if we wanted to stay at the inn. When I told her how dissatisfied I was, I found out that she didn't even ask the owner, instead talked to the assistant inn keeper Laurie, who wouldn't even call me to tell me. I asked her to pass on my dissatisfaction with the owner and again, she told me she would only speak to Laurie and would not tell the owner!

I am extremely upset and disappointed by the lack of customer service at this inn. I will no longer stay here and I advise anyone else to avoid this inn at all costs so you do not end up like me, without a room.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mount Olive, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

We were in Vermont skiing for the weekend at Stratton. We didn't book a place, and we came upon the Manchester View, which looked nicer than some of the motels in the area. The man at the desk was very friendly, and even gave us the discounted midweek rate even though it was the weekend. We chose the queen deluxe room, which had two double beds. There were may other choices, but we really didn't need anything else. The room was large and clean, and had comfortable beds. There was a small balcony looking towards the mountains, and over a snowy hill. It was beautiful. There were several other suites that had access through a small lobby in the motel building, which looked nice for a couple's getaway. We ate at Candelero's in Manchester, a Tex-mex place that was awesome (we didn't get to finish the nachos). Would always stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly staff, location, view
  • Disliked — Nothing much
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

Very large room with an excellent view, friendly staff, close to town. I recommend it!

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — no refrigerator in room, $3 continental breakfast fee
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Queens, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

We chose the Manchester View after lots of research, looking for a place that offered B&B comfort, without being a B&B. We were not disappointed! Our room was very cozy, nicely equipped, had a real fireplace (wood was restocked daily) and a private deck with a lovely view of the mountains. The location was just five minutes from all the shopping and restaurants in Manchester.

Everyone at the Manchester View was very nice and helpful, but we wanted to mention that Jason at the front desk was especially enthusiastic and EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the area, which came in handy as we were only visiting for three days and needed some recommendations.

We fully intend to return to the Manchester View for the 2008 foliage season, but next time we'll stay longer!

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

Stayed at the Manchester View for 2 nights in October. We arrived exactly at 2:00 and were told our room was not ready. The woman made us feel like it was our fault as we were remined that "check-in is at 2:00 you realize". I guess they weren't expecting us to be on time. We had the "Green Mountain Room" which was beautiful and spacious. The bathroom with the walk-in European shower and spa tub was clean, modern and nicely appointed. The large stone fireplace gave a real country feel, along with the country decor. We believe the room above is a small apartment for someone associated with the motel, and all we could hear was him walking around at all times of the night and going in and out of the small shared hallway. The breakfast was appropriate for the $3.00 charge. Hostess was extremely friendly and prepared our breakfast "to go" upon our request. The room charge was $299 per night as were most of the other accommodations in the area. The Manchester area has great shopping and plenty of places to eat. I would suggest the "Ye Olde Tavern" on 7A. Excellent service and food. Overall our stay at the Manchester View was nice but will probably try other establishments in future trips.

• Liked — Mountain views, spacious room and bath.
  • Disliked — Noisy upstairs occupant
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Manchester View? Share your experiences!