“Wow........” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nipper's Cafe & Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Road
Description: Welcome to Nipper's Cafe and Steakhouse. Offering the best outdoor dining in Southern VT. We offer magnificient views of Mount Equinox. Winter hours 2014 until March. Monday, Thursday & Friday 11:30am-2pm & 5pm-8:45pm, Saturday 8am-10am and 5pm-8:45pm and Sunday 8am-12pm & 5pm-8pm. We strive to make every meal you dine with us a memorable experience. Nipper's has become popular amongst the locals and tourist for serving up outstanding fresh food at reasonable prices. Please note we consider ourselves to be a two star restaurant. We are not a four star dining experience. We serve only Certified Angus Beef (CAB) steaks and fresh seafood. Whenever possible we use all local produce or preferably the vegetables come from our own gardens and all of our sauces are handcrafted on the property. We invite you to join us for a delicious home-cooked meal either in the afternoon or evening hours. Nipper's is the perfect setting for any size gathering and we want to make sure that your dining experience is enjoyable so you will return. Catering, private parties and to go orders are available. We offfer a casual dining experience at a reasonable price. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Cape Cod
“Wow........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

After reading all the glowing reviews on trip advisor, I was only too happy to suggest to my husband and the other couple we were vacationing with to go to Nipper's. When we arrived, we were greeted and told to take any table that we liked. We sat down, we were warmly greeted and the waitress took our drink order. The menu looked interesting......I had checked out their website earlier. For appetizers we ordered mussels, potstickers, and shrimp on pinko breadcrumbs. The mussels were a bit tough, the potstickers were probably bought at BJ's or Costco, and the shrimp was greasy. For dinner three of us ordered the filet; I ordered the lamb. The filet was not really thick and overlooked. We've cooked better filets on our grill! My lamb consisted of three lamb chops, and as much as I love lamb, I gave up after the second chop.

On the positive side, the waitress was really nice, and very attentive. If you are a real foodie, though, it is easily forgettable. There is nothing impressive about this restaurant at all.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SallyH123, Owner at Nipper's Cafe & Steakhouse, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
WOW is right. I’m assuming you thought you were going to a Morton’s. We are a very small and unassuming restaurant. We are not a five star steakhouse. To me it is very funny as I look over your other reviews – I am sure you were comparing us to Morton’s steakhouse, etc…. as I had overheard your conversations of the best steakhouses to go to or the best ones you’ve been at that evening. I will admit that we cannot be compared to any in New York City. What we try to offer everyone is a fresh, delicious cooked meal at reasonable prices. My husband is a very good chef considering the fact that never attended a culinary school. He is self taught. That being said all of the meat we purchase at the time of this review are choice not prime. Many vegetables come from our own gardens on the grounds. The pot stickers are purchased not from BJ’s or Costco and you are the first to state a complaint. Most people love the homemade sauce peanut teriyaki sauce that comes with them. I am very surprised that the mussels were tough – I don’t eat them so I can’t comment but I can note that you didn’t complain to your waitress Sarah that evening so I don’t know why you are stating it now – why didn’t you refuse them at that time. It is called panko shrimp – the shrimp is breaded with panko crumbs and deep fried. Not sure what you were expecting 99.99% of the people love these – you are the .01% that didn’t. I have a girlfriend who craves them and will come in and eat two orders. Our menu specifically states an 8 oz filet – an 8oz filet isn’t that big. It is the size of a burger and you got the full 8oz they are proportioned upon receipt. Perhaps you were expecting a 10oz filet? My recollection of your evening once your dinner came – you made a huge ordeal of cutting your meat (lamb chops ) since your arm was in a sling – and contemplating how they should be cut since they were thick and had a bone. You stated to your server that the meat wasn’t MR but that you wouldn’t be sending it back – what exactly do you want us to do if you agree to keep the meal and don’t want a replacement meal. If you didn’t want to send it back than stop you shouldn’t right a negative review – you had the opportunity to have it corrected – you didn’t allow us and you certainly didn’t want the meals cooked over and we would have been happy to do so. I will admit my husband failed to cook your meals perfectly the first time. You certainly weren’t in a hurry to leave the building you stayed for quite some time. I’m sorry yes you have the right to comment that the meat was a tad over cooked it certainly wasn’t any more than M/MW. I think that you are just one of those difficult people The week before my husband prepared to 8 oz bourbon steaks MW that should have been cooked MR. The people commented I picked up the plates returned them to the kitchen and they were re-cooked to perfection. The couple was ecstatic and I was happy because we did our job right even though we needed to do it twice to make sure it was done right. There are all sorts of variables that go into cooking – the meat, timing – especially if you are cooking for more than one table. Can we make mistakes of course we can – will we correct the mistakes to ensure that you and everyone else will of course we will. We are disappointed in ourselves that you didn’t enjoy your experience but please if you want to point out that the meat is over cooked than allow the cook to re-do it. It isn’t a big deal and I think more chefs would appreciate that than having someone sit behind the computer and write a negative review.
If you are looking for the five star dining experiences we have several great options in town. If you are looking for delicious home cooked food than please stop in and visit us – we are not over the top but we attempt to put out a good product and if we fail at it please just tell us and we will re-cook it. We honestly want to make sure everyone is happy.

wellesley ma
“Great food, great company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We went to Nippers for somewhat of a late dinner for the area, 8:30 PM. We were greeted, seated and served by Karen, the owner. Our meal was delicious. The potstickers were some of the best we ever had and the salmon with ginger and wasabi was unique, spicy and delicious. The atmosphere is homey and welcoming, like visiting a good friend. By the time we left, we felt as if Karen was our good friend. We swapped stories and laughed like we had known each other forever. We have tried many great restaurants, we will include this one in our list of favorites.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SallyH123, Owner at Nipper's Cafe & Steakhouse, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
It was a pleasure to meet you guys - I enjoyed the time and learning about the six kids - wishing you much luck with everything and hoping when you find yourself back in Manchester, VT you will stop back in. I'm sure the room was amazing at the Reluctant Panther. Thanks for finding the time to write the review with your hectice schedule.
Manchester Center
“Great local gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Had breakfast at Nippers for the second time yesterday. What a great local experience. The owners (cook and wait staff) are young folks from the Manchester area and their product is really superior. The sparklingly clean facility offers an ideal mix of breakfast choices, benedicts, mexican and traditional. I had the Irish benedict ( poached egg on corned beef hash and english muffin with hollindaise) and my pal had a small order of pancakes,can't imagine what a full order would look like. Extra real maple syrup was freely offered. Can't wait to try their dinners!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for coming in again it was nice to see you. Many thanks for taking the time to write the review they really help us out. Look forward to you joining us for dinner in the near future.
Kiamesha Lake, New York
“it was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

i dont know why people voted this the #1 resteraunt in the area...the YeOld Tavern was so much better. The food was just ok , service was good , very small place.

Visited October 2012
SallyH123, Owner at Nipper's Cafe & Steakhouse, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
First off it should be noted that you or anyone else shouldn’t be allowed to post reviews until you understand how Tripadvisor works. It is simply a numbers game that is all. Nobody voted us #1. If you had read the previous comments that we have written you would see that we pointed out on several reviews what we feel would be the top restaurant choices when dining out in Manchester, VT – it should also be noted that you will pay significantly more than you would pay if you were dining with us. That being said – it’s based on the number of reviews you receive in comparison to the other restaurants and the quality of the reviews you receive – you are being compared to all restaurants or eateries – meaning a four star restaurant all the way down to take out burrito joints in Manchester, VT. Once again it is an overall comparison that is all. All of the restaurants are just lumped together in one category.
We are quite familiar with Ye Olde Tavern and we send Michael the owner a tremendous amount of business when people do not want to dine with us that are staying at our motel. All of our motel guests enjoy it as well as we have had some very good meals. You can’t compare us to the Ye Olde Tavern – that is an old building with a ton of charm and numerous rooms for dining. We are newly created, very small dining establishment seating 25. The price point is something else to be considered – I believe the most expensive item Michael offers is approximately $30 – however are menu offers one item at $24 a filet and another item at $23 a ribeye – the majority of our prices are $16 - $19 and including burgers starting at $9. I know that your tab at the Ye Olde Tavern would have been considerably higher than your tab at Nipper’s Steakhouse.
It should also be noted that I understand that you may enjoy a meal at one restaurant over ours, but I also know that we have had a ton of customers who prefer our food over other restaurants as well.
Now when reviewing it is not about comparing one restaurant to another restaurant yet that is what you did. Yes, I understand you had a great experience at the Ye Olde Tavern, but was your experience really that bad at Nipper’s. Did you really understand where you were going. For example we get a ton of business from both the Reluctant Panther and The Equinox Hotel - they want to go some place that has delicious home cooked food but they don't want to pay a fortune since they are already paying an arm and a leg to sleep at nigt. These people truly understand what we are and they know what they are looking for. We don't try to be something we aren't and we don't advertise ourselves as something we are not. They aren’t looking for a high end restaurant – they are looking for a casual restaurant, with delicious home cooked food which is priced reasonable. It is quite apparent that you assumed you were going to the best restaurant in town – I can’t apologize for this because it is ignorance on your part we haven’t misled you or anyone else, but sometimes people don’t understand what they are reading when they read the reviews. You simply didn’t read the reviews and you didn’t understand how Tripadvisor works.

My last point I am going to make is what does size have to do with it. How odd to have to point this out. Some of the best restaurants are small. We have very little refrigeration and everything is fresh, fresh, fresh. We don’t advertise to be a huge restaurant and we certainly don’t attempt to do 200 meals on any given evening. We are a very small 25 seat restaurant and we are quite happy with that. Since Adam and I do the bulk of the work.
California
“Best Lamb Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Just arrived earlier today for a 2 night stay at the Stamford Motel. It was early in the evening after a long days journey and my wife and I were famished. The motel's Nipper Cafe did not look like much from the outside so we thought we would go elsewhere for dinner. Then we read the reviews and decided to see if this rather typical looking motel cafe
could have such wonderful food. Once inside we quickly discovered that our initial assumptions were very wrong. The dining room was tastefully appointed and our server, Sarah, very pleasant. We chose the lamb chops and pork loin with bleu cheese. Both dishes were exceptional. Without doubt, my lamb with balsamic reduction is the best lamb preparation that I have ever eaten. Prior to leaving, I felt obligated to thank the chef, Wes, for such a wonderful meal. If your in Manchester and need to do dinner, please give this cafe a try. You will not regret it.

SallyH123, Owner at Nipper's Cafe & Steakhouse, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
We are so very happy that you had two great meals with us since you joined us for breakfast the next day. Appreciate the fact that you so quickly wrote a review. Many thanks for staying with us as well.