“Very Well Done” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palmer House

You added Palmer House to your Saves list
Palmer House
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   5383 Main Street , Route 7A North, Manchester, VT 05255   |
Special Rate
Palmer House Special
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Manchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stonington, Ct.
“Very Well Done”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I were traveling to Northern Vermont from Southeastern, Connecticut for a wedding and decided to leave a few days early. We also decided to take the back roads, namely Route 7, and just take our time. We weren't sure where we were going to end up at the end of the day so we made no reservations but when we had decided that we'd had enough of the car, we found ourselves in Manchester, Vermont where there are plenty of of options. My wife is a "first impression" kind of gal so when we came upon The Palmer House, I pretty much knew this was going to be where we'd be resting our heads. The large property is beautifully maintained and the gal at the desk, Amy, was one of the best in the business. A real professional that was committed to insuring our one night stand in Manchester was going to be a good one. If the truth be told, The Palmer House is much more than a house. It's almost a resort. From a par three golf course, croquet court, tennis court, fishing pond and more, it would have been better if we were going to be there longer to enjoy it all. Our room was big, quiet and more than adequate. It was also affordable as they could have charged us more considering the many recreational services that they offered. Oh, I should mention that if your traveling with children under 12, you should choose another option. I love my grand children but I was OK with that. Well done Amy and well done Palmer House. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time for such a great review! Amy received her well-deserved pat on the back from your kind words upon your departure...but now she gets to see it in print as well. I'm so glad you found us as you sauntered along in your leisurely journey and it's just too bad you could not have stayed longer. But then again, there's always your return home! We do look forward to seeing you again.
Tina Fries

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I feel like Goldilocks - I've tried several different accommodations in the area, and the Palmer House is the pick of the litter for anyone who is traveling with wheels! I made my original reservation through expedia and about 2 weeks before my reservation, got a phone call from Palmer House. I'd reserved a "handicapped room" but expedia is rather vague about what actually that means. The Palmer House called to be sure exactly what I needed, and when it turned out that my room wasn't perfect for me, they arranged for something more suitable. I'd have coped with the original, but this was vastly better.

Not sure what the people fussing about "tired" room decor are talking about - my room (one of the suites at the back of the complex) is luxurious and beautifully appointed. The $2.50 breakfast is advertised as "simple" but it was more of a continental breakfast with varied choices. For $2.50 not bad at all, and a way to quickly get breakfast out of the way to go have fun.

My stay was four nights, and I am thrilled with everything about it. Lovely room, palatial bathroom, beautiful grounds with wildlife, scooter-distance to town, quiet as can be. Every encounter with hotel staff has been happy.

The only small bone I can pick is that the wifi arrangements are adequate for email and a little web browsing, nothing more. That was fine for me, but if you are a heavy net user, you may find it frustrating.

Otherwise, bliss. I shall be back, no question!

Room Tip: The suites at the back are large and luxurious. If you have disabilities, reservations staff are hap...
Green Features: I appreciate having a recycle bin in my room! The water saving fixtures in the bath were extremely high quality and were both green and comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hello and thank you for your warm and gracious review. I'll admit I'm standing a little taller today since I was the one who called you to find out about your needs! It really was a pleasure to be able to tailor your stay with the right room and have you so happy about it! But not to toot my own horn, EVERY ONE of our staff cares deeply and is ready and willing to help...as I'm sure you found out. I do understand your feeling about the WI-FI but it is our hope that one can do a little more drinking in of nature around them and a little less computer work...at least for a couple days. That way, we send you off refreshed and ready to tackle the world again, until you return for more R & R with us! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Be well,
Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is just amazing, room are very large a great bathroom well everything you could expect from an hotel.
What about the service... We arrived very late and a special enveloppe ready for us , people very supportive and nice.
Some of you may think that it is older... Well this is your judgement, of course it is not a brand new one , but the 2 Swimming pools, indoor and outdoor , the golf and the tennis court give you excellent service.in addition the location is great and quiet.
Go...

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for such a lovely review. We are thrilled you were able to take part in our resort amenities and be pampered a bit! I don't know if this was your first visit with us, but we certainly hope it won't be the last.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your views.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We had a very positive experience at the Palmer House. Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, and great location. Walked to everything in downtown Manchester, including lots of good places to eat and hike.

Sure, the room decor is a little dated, but the beds were comfortable and it was quiet, very clean, and the grounds were immaculate and enjoyable. We used the indoor pool and hot tub, and enjoyed sitting by the outdoor pool on a sunny May day. I even knocked around the 9 hole pitch and putt course on the grounds. We would have stayed longer if our plans hadn't made us move on!

Room Tip: Number 39 is a winner - on the end with easy access to both the indoor and outdoor pool.
Green Features: Gotta love Vermont - truly a green state and Palmer House is living it - even has solar panels on the roof!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review. It was very up-building to hear such a positive response to your stay with us. Everything from extremely helpful, friendly staff to comfortable, clean rooms and your use of so many of our amenities...well done! And yes, do come back and stay longer. We will look forward to it.
Millbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed for a relaxing weekend. Well kept clean and great service. Ruth at the front desk was very helpful and gave great recommendations for dinner and activities. Short walk to restaurants and shopping. Great indoor pool, the workout room is small, but very useable. We'll be back!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for taking time for a review. I'm glad to hear your weekend was restful and that a clean room and good service allowed you to relax! Ruth is always a cheerful source and it sounds like her suggestions worked out nicely.
Very happy to hear you will be back,
south of the border
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My daughter and I came for two days in the off season. What a wonderful stay. Everything is immaculate and cozy. This place has many amenities of the larger corporate resorts but without the BS fees, restrictions, and predictable decor. Loved its connections to Manchester offerings: I walked the short trail past their stocked pond thru a lovely marsh (with nesting red-winged blackbirds) into the town's extensive rec area. Great for families. In-town shops and restaurants are only a 5 minute walk. A long paved walkway along rt 7 or the trail entrance to the town rec area will serve well for runners. Loved the staff at the motel, they gave me excellent restaurant recommendations, details about the property and were super friendly. Golf, tennis, indoor and outdoor pool, Ye Olde Tavern (great traditional meal) right next door. Don't miss this special place.

Green Features: Appreciate the green status. The motel is clearly working hard.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hello and thank you for such a warm and kind review. We certainly appreciate your recognition of our goal to offer a clean and cozy room ("immaculate" is nice to hear!) Our amenities are plentiful and it's good to know you utilized so many of them..in fact, you reminded me of ones we have that I had lost sight of. It's a real plus to continually hear the compliments that our staff receive and boy, do they deserve it! Please do return, we will look forward to it.
Blountsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The hotel was absolutely beautiful. It didn't really have a hotel feel. It was older, but very well maintained. The property had so much to offer a small trail, great views, golf, and a pool. It is a beautiful place especially in the fall. We would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed the quaint charm of the Palmer House which has been in the same family for 60 years. The owners take a special pride in its upkeep and there is quite a bit to keep up! From the indoor and outdoor pools, to the 9-hole golf course, to the views....ok, well we can't take credit for that but those trees better turn yellow and orange in the fall or branches will roll!
So happy to hear you will return, we will look forward to it.
Tina Fries

Been to Palmer House? Share your experiences!