“Great family get away” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Great family get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Wanted to get out of New York city for the holidays and was happy I picked Equinox. The town is great with the best of everything the shops, mountains to hike, and the great hotel resort. The spa and swimming pool was great. The hot cider and free bingo with resort bucks was also fun.
The room and amenities are fabulous. The Hotel staff is super friendly and helpful. They keep a fire going with tables and games in the perfect atmosphere for a glass of wine. Everything you need and want within a 2 minute drive includining a movie theater, quality outlet shops and great restraints. I will continue to frequent here with my family.

Room Tip: If you can get a corner room on an upper level you have windows on two sides and it is very quiet.
Green Features: They have a green choice program which will get you a few starpoints if you opt in and lighting etc to save energy. The room did not smell like some hotels with too much chemicals and fragrances.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Good Evening and thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post your review! I’m thrilled to hear you had the opportunity to explore our town and all of the activities offered at the Resort throughout the holidays. We take great pride in our property and our attentive ambassadors who will do anything to make your stay perfect. I hope we will be able to have you and your family stay with us at the Equinox again soon, and look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We go to the Equinox Hotel whenever we can and visit on average 4-5 times per year (for the last 5 years) Located just 3 hours from home in suburban NYC, it's the perfect spot for a family trip or even a couples getaway.

We have stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the world but the thing that really sets the Equinox hotel apart is the staff and the service. This past weekend we visited and it was my daughter's birthday. I called in advance to seek the concierges' help and by the time we got there we had a perfect weekend of adventure planned and it seemed that everyone at the hotel knew that we were celebrating. Astri and Richard at the concierge desk are amazing at their job and helped us plan celebratory dinners and came up with an incredible agenda that included snow mobiling, skiing, tubing, sledding. There were even balloons in our room awaiting my daughter when we arrived. Even the manager of the hotel came over to us to wish my daughter a happy birthday. We arrived early but hungry and eager to eat at the hotel’s Marsh Tavern restaurant but we had our dog with us and our room was not yet ready. The restaurant manager offered to have someone dog-sit so we could eat lunch.

Besides the service, the hotel is charming, warm and inviting. The common areas are our favorite place to sit, especially to have hot chocolate by the large fireplace in the library after a hike. The rooms are updated and nice and can be adjoined to make them very family friendly.

The restaurant, the Marsh Tavern is fantastic and also very accommodating. My daughter has a life-threatening food allergy and the waiters are always informed and careful. The food is consistently delicious.

The other thing to add is that there is so much to do in and around Manchester. We enjoy winter sports at Stratton and Bromley. We also love the hiking that is right outside the hotel’s back door. Thanks to the concierge’s recommendations we have enjoyed the local farms and farmer markets. My kids can spend hours enjoying the hotel’s gorgeous pool. During holiday weeks, the hotel adds a game room and kids activities. We also love the restaurants and shops of Manchester.

Room Tip: I like the higher floors because there is less traffic. Also the back of the hotel has beautiful mou...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Good evening and thank you for taking the time to post your review! Thank you for spending such a special occasion with us, I hope that your daughter had an absolutely wonderful birthday weekend. I agree that our restaurant staff is extraordinarily accommodating for any dietary or allergy restrictions, and our Concierge takes great pride in creating a personalized experience for our guests. I look forward to your next visit with us in Vermont!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We first visited and stayed there three years ago and had two of the best meals of our life there. We ate in the casual side (not the fancy part) and it still was just incredible. We have since driven hours out of our way just to go back to the restaurant two more times (most recently in December). Both amazing. Literally the best soup we've ever had. If you stay here or anywhere nearby go to the restaurant and eat. (The resort is lovely and we had an amazing trip three years ago, but this review is for our most recent visit to the restaurant)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Evening! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Equinox. I'm extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants. We take great pride in our talented culinary team and the unique savory experience they create for our guests every day. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Manchester!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My boyfriend booked us here over a long weekend in January and I enjoyed our stay immensely. The location is very close to some amazing outlet shopping, both Bromley and Stratton mountains, and great dining options. We took advantage of the hotel spa and received some of the best massages we've ever had. The indoor pool is fantastic, although the hot tub area could have been more built out to avoid those awkward full tub situations.

We enjoyed some wine,cheese and chocolate at the Falcon Bar along with some music from a live band, then played a few games of chess/checkers in their library, and finished off the night out by the outdoor fire.

I would say if you're in the area and looking for a great overall experience - this is the place for you.

My only constructive criticism would be to upgrade the robes since everyone seems to be wearing them (they need to be softer) and use local shampoo/soap/lotions considering how many local options there are in Vermont.

Room Tip: Perhaps steer clear of the rooms on the ground floor near the elevators. There is a lot of traffic a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I took our 3 children to VT for a long ski weekend. We chose the Equinox as we are Starwood fans. The building is beautiful. It transports you back in time with the long hallways, crown moldings, and dark mahogany furniture. You pull up to a majestic white building with giant columns, reminiscent of something from the Golden Era. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The area is perfect for shopping in Manchester and Bromley and Stratton mountains. Equinox is a wonderful stay for couples and families. Highly recommended!

Stayed January 2014
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Overall, my wife and 8 month old son had a wonderful visit to the Equinox. We went for a long weekend to enjoy some skiing and escape the tri-state area to refresh. It was our first time in Manchester and we both really enjoyed the town. I skied (despite the rain) and my wife enjoyed the property. First, I want to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and our stay at the Equinox. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. We're already planning our next trip. That being said, we did have some issues that I'll outline below. Travelling with a 8 month old has forced us to get suites when we travel. This makes it easier to put the baby to bed, while allowing us to stay up past 7:30 and enjoy a nice evening. On this recent stay we booked a suite with points (48K for 2 night) through SPG Gold concierge. My reservation experience with SPG is always flawless. I was very excited to check out the digs upon arrival as the photos online looked pretty nice. I've always been extremely happy with the suite accommodations at the various SPG brands (W, Luxury collection, Westin, etc.) I learned that our suite was in the Orvis Inn, which is next to the main hotel. Not ideal consider my wife would be spending most of the weekend on property with a 8 month old and the weather was less than ideal, but not a deal breaker. When we got to our room, both my wife and I were disappointed. We were in room 632 (i think) on the 3rd floor. Given the pitch of the roof, it forced an interesting configuration of the room. This suite was not consistent with the Luxury Collection brand. Period. I expect a certain level of wear in a hotel room but the furniture in the living room was really worn down. The cushions on the couch were so worn down and flat in frat it almost rendered it unusable. We kept sliding off the front. Light bulbs were out and the kitchen was in desperate need of a refresh. Granite counter tops alone do not make a kitchen nice. The biggest issue of all was the bathroom. It was borderline unacceptable. Had we been staying for longer or our stay required us to actually get dressed nice for an event, we could not have stayed in the room. One of the nicest aspects of staying at a St. Regis, Luxury Collection, W or suite in any hotel, is the bathroom. You want a wow experience. This was certainly not impressive at all. It was actually depressing and from the 90's. If you were taller that 6 feet, the shower was not an option. The mirror was unusable. That's right, the MIRROR in the BATHROOM was unusable. It was positioned on a slant along the ceiling (again, 3rd floor roof pitch). You could not look in the mirror unless you tilted you head back at a 30 degree angle. How anyone could think this was acceptable is beyond me. The whole room was just old and worn. I actually felt bad for the hotel because I know certain guest would allow that room and suite to tarnish their entire stay. We are not those people and still had a great stay and vacation. Admittedly, I am bummed/upset that I used 48K points for THAT suite, but given our baby, we had to do what we had to do.

The public areas of the hotel are great. The pool and spa are great. My wife said she had a wonderful 80 min massage in the Spa. We order room service (off marsh tavern menu) one night which was really good. All in all, we really enjoyed it. Looking forward to returning, especially now that I know the room situation. Definitely will be staying in main hotel next time.

Room Tip: If you are booking a suite, try to get 1 of the 2 in the main hotel. The Orvis Inn is a little long...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

When you think about the Equinox in Manchester, Vermont, you think elegance... excellent service, outstanding rooms. The reality was a slap in the face. Booked a 'queen superior room' and would never stay there again. They put us in their 'townhouses', which was a room about 14x25, bathroom included. There was not enough room for a table and chairs, we had an ice bucket but not ice machine any where around; received two bottles of water but no glasses/plastic cups--even in the bathroom for rinsing your mouth after brushing your teeth. I am thoroughly disgusted and will be sure that I tell all of my friends about our accommodations. Shame on you, Equinox, for stooping to this level.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a "Superior Queen Room." You're better off at the EconoLodge.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!