“dont stay here” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
NYC
“dont stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

This hotel was a disaster! Acoustics in the rooms were awful. Every sound was heard. Children ran up and down halls unsupervised by parents or hotel staff. rooms were sub-par bathrooms small and cramped. this should not be listed aa a luxury resort and spa- it has holiday in quality with ritz carlton prices!! The rstaurant was mediocre and breakfast is not included. It is a colossal rip off. I cancelled all future reservations and would never stay there again. SHAME!!

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

Four women friends and I stayed here for 3 nights in January, and we vowed to make it an annual getaway. From the graciousness of every staff member we met to the pristine spa and accommodations, we loved every minute at The Equinox. We had suites in The Charles Orvis Inn, two doors down from the main hotel. Each suite had a fireplace in the living room, full kitchen, and a bedroom with lovely bathroom (2 of the 3 suites had whirlpools). We made good use of the basement billard room as well as the spa every day. After a day of skiing, there's nothing like a eucalyptus steam or soak in the outdoor jacuzzi. We also utilized their free shuttle service to area restaurants each night (very handy and safer if you happen to have a few drinks before dinner!) as well as to Bromley or Stratton mountains to ski. (The room rate included a $25/day activity fee which covers the local transportation, use of spa, pool and jacuzzi, and housekeeping gratuity.Very well worth it!)
The hotel is renovating the rooms in the main building, and from a tour of a finished model, they wil be luxurious in a more "W" Hotel mode than the previous traditional Equinox rooms.
All in all, we wish we could have stayed longer.

Stayed January 2008
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

My husband and I- -plus 2 other couples stayed at The Equinox Jan11-13 in a 3 bdrm townhouse. We are in our late twenties. I don't agree with all of the negative reviews posted about the townhouses/resort. We travel often and are used to staying at nice hotels...and we enjoyed our stay here. It's what we expected for a Vermont hotel.

The townhouse is set up with 2 separate bedrooms downstairs w/full bath and a staircase which leads to an upstairs suite with bedroom, living room and a large kitchen. The bdrms and suite all have their own card entry doors. The kitchen has all of the amenities--stove,full size fridge,toaster, small coffee maker,dishwasher, silverware,plates, glasses and some pots/pans. There is a nice breakfast bar with stools that face the cooking area, so everyone can hang out in the kitchen. We made dinner both nights we were there (we brought a few useful items from home to cook with ie. large pan/pot,etc). The townhouse definitely has that new england feel, but it could use an update in the kitchen area and a newer television would be nice. One of the bedrooms downstairs had a flat screen on the wall, but the other bedrooms had old tvs. There is also an electric fireplace that adds a nice touch and a porch off the back.

The resort is beautiful, especially with the snow everywhere. The spa is next door to the the townhouses. It has a large indoor pool and outside hot tub. There's a very nice lounge area with a fireplace in the spa that some people hung out in during the day. We didn't eat at the resort, so I can't comment on the food. The Marsh Tavern looked like a nice place to eat at. It has a nice bar and large eating area w/fireplace.

Manchester is a very cute town with great outlet shopping and great restaurants. We enjoyed walking around town and also went skiing one day at Stratton (about 20mins away), which is also a great area to spend time in. We definitely plan on returning some day and would love to stay at The Equinox again.

Tip: For a great breakfast go to "Up for Breakfast" in the center of town on main st.

• Liked — I like staying in a townhouse.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

My husband and i stayed here jan 10-13 with our 2 children, 11 and 13 years old. We thought it was beautiful and couldn't understand any of the bad reviews we had read prior to our arrival. We stayed at the townhouses which were very nice. They were very clean and roomy enough for a family of four and our dog too. The Tavern Marsh was very good, although a bit expensive. But service was great and the atmosphere was very cozy, right by the fire place. The colonade was also great for breakfast in the morning. The only complaint, if that, was the "gas" fireplace in the townhouse was not real It didn't give off any heat, it was really just for show. And the kitchen in the townhouse could use alittle update, but it really was just fine. I would recommend this resort, as long as you can afford it, since i do believe the rates are alittle high.

• Liked — atmosphere-beautiful
  • Disliked — fireplace-not real
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
east lyme, ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Manchester VT is beautiful and this place was the perfect place to stay while visiting. We seemed to be the only ones with no children. Many families were staying there. We had the most beautiful room (306) it was very large and clean. Very quiet. Staff was very friendly. The only only negative thing I can say about the place was that they did not serve food between 4:00 and 6:00 and people were coming in off the slopes or from shopping and were very hungry. It snowed every day we were there. The whole town looks like one of those villiages that you shake up in a snowglobe!

• Liked — My room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Wallingford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

We just got back from 3 days at the Equinox with our two young children, and we had a wonderful experience. Although we ended up eating room service or eating out so we wouldn't have to bring our kids to the formal dining areas, we did feel comfortable taking them to the pretty pool and everyone was as nice as could be. We went the week before Christmas, and the resort was very quiet and peaceful. The staff was attentive, the food was good, and the lobby and common areas of the resort were beautifully maintained. The furniture in the room was getting a bit worn (not a very charming set of furnishings and worn down, too), but the room was huge, with a very high ceiling and pretty views out the two large windows. The room and the lovely large bathroom (which was charming) were very clean. My advice: make sure you stay in the main building (there are townhouses that look bland across the street), plan to use the pool and the spa, and try to get a good rate on the hotel website (our room was part of a 3 night deal and it made the resort reasonable). We'd definitely return when our kids get a bit older!

• Stayed December 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

Keeping in mind, the Equinox was originally built in 1769, you go for the charm and ambiance of it. We were lucky enough to arrive just after a sizeable snowstorm. It made everything look especially festive. Manchester is lovely to begin with, and the Equinox is the gem of Manchester. I had driven by it so many times before..Always curious about it, but had never stayed there before.

We stayed in a room with a king sized bed, chair, TV, wardrobe, rocking chair, TV/armoire. The room was a good size as was the bathroom. A nice plus was 2 white bathrobes for our use.

The hotel itself is quite interesting, and I wish we could have stayed longer than one night so we could have "explored" a bit more, but what stood out most of all for us was the way everyone from start to finish was so accomodating and friendly.

I am a nurse by profession. I continually make the care and comfort of my patients my priority. Yet so often in business it seems we don't see the same care translate in practice. It was SO refreshing to spend time at a place that continually responded to our needs in a professional, courteous manner.

Examples: While my husband and I were waiting at the elevator, I mentioned I had left my bottled water in the car. One of the employees heard me say this, and immediately obtained some bottled "Equinox" water for me from a nearby service closet. Later, we realize the bed had down pillows, and my husband has asthma, and can't sleep with down pillows. We called the front desk and almost immediately the pillows were replaced. Anywhere we went in the hotel we were greeted warmly, (Often by name!) and felt welcome.

MOST importantly, After returning home, I was upset when I realized I had left a bracelet behind in our room. (It was a great personal favorite of mine.) I called the hotel, but feared I would not get the bracelet back. I knew had left it on the sink, possibly under a towel and feared it would be lost in the laundry.

Not only did the housekeeping staff find my bracelet, they and the staff at the Equinox assured it was sent to me FEDEX and it arrived the NEXT DAY! Now that is going above and beyond for the customer! I am so grateful for their care regarding that matter.
Many hotels may not have bothered to even look for a lost item.

In short, The Equinox is a lovely hotel, and the service is top notch. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel, Friendly staff, Mountain views at breakfast.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!