“Passing through” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 34 restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner
New London, Connecticut
“Passing through”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Heading back north for one final weekend of skiing. We have been to Sam's before but usually on a Saturday night when it can be packed. This time we decided to leave home early enough on Friday to grab some dinner. Fantastic meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Mount Holly, Vermont
“Very Mediocre”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Food is worse than diner, service poor. Discounts mean smaller portions,and
lousy meal. Go to DJ's for great meal and service every time.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“just right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went here for my wife 50th after a day of skiing at Okemo. Absolutely perfect dinner. Food was excellent and the service was great . Loved the atmosphere, casual but candlelit and intimate.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“It is basically a diner that serves various steaks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Probably our waitress - Tracy - influenced my rating significantly. She is just a horrible waitress. With completely wrong attitude.

I'm not a steakhouse snob. I just expect things to be reasonable relative to competition, location, etc. The restaurant looks and feels reasonable inside and outside. The pricing is reasonable. The quality and food is reasonable. The salad bar is not. The service is not. Children menu is not.

Wife, two kids and me. Since children menu is a joke we decided to share. We ordered several appetizers, a t-bone steak to share for all of us and a desert and a glass of wine and several cocktails. Actually, I did not think that t-bone steaks in steakhouses come in different sizes. If I knew that this one will be so undersized, I would have ordered lamb for kids. Last time we ate a t-bone in Old Homestead and ... it was 3 times larger.

Once we mentioned "share" to Tracy she just changed. 1) She did not come even close to our table to take drink orders (never happened with me...don't normally drink orders get taken in the very beginning of the meal?) until she served us the appetizers; 2) After we mentioned that we would like to order drinks, she said: "So, you want to order a bottle of wine?" Really?! I answered "No" and she started to walk away. Really?! I asked whether we can order something else besides a BOTTLE of wine. With a weirdest smile she stopped said yes...

Ignore 5-star ratings here. If this is a 5-star place, what is "Downtown Grocery" then...a 25-star place?! I've read several "outstanding" reviews here on tripadvisor. I personally (say 'personally' to stress that I'm biased) think those reviews are too light/artificial. Quite a few people mentioned how they liked pork tenderloin and salad bar...well not exactly steakhouse staples.

I kept asking myself what does this combination of salad bar, weird bad service, sucky looking bar (bartender was ok) and just ok - almost 'TGI Friday' - quality meat reminds me of?

Diner.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
The Jersey Shore
“Outstanding experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

So many factors go into a restaurant review and on this busy Saturday night, they did everything right. Great service, food and even though it was a very busy Saturday, we never felt rushed. Pork tenderloin and pot roast stood out along with the tuna appetizer. Great beer selection as well. We will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere