“Inn it great!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Ludlow B&B and Inns
Rishon LeZiyyon, Israel
“Inn it great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Okemo Inn in Ludlow VT, built in 1810 as the private residence of Reverend Peter Read, was my home away from home for a week in October, and staying at this quaint and cluttered traditional New England home was a real delight.
If you have a car – and in Vermont, you gotta have a car – it is also perfectly located for jaunts and day trips all over Vermont, which in itself is the perfect place to discover America. Okemo Inn is just a minute's drive from Ludlow and its restaurants – from the Cool Moose to Sam’s Steakhouse – and close enough to the city of Rutland to feel comfortable, but secluded enough to let you know you’re really in the Green Mountains.
My wonderful hosts, Ron and Teri, were very gracious and made me feel right at home. Every little nook and every stenciled wall in their 10-room inn is evidence that they put their hearts and souls into this place for the past three decades.
I started my day with a hearty breakfast, including a fresh muffin and juice, eggs, waffle or pancakes, bacon or sausage and much more (check out the pics), not to mention a pleasant conversation with some of the other guests (one morning I even saw a deer passing by the big leaded windows. I tried to ambush it again in the mornings but to no avail, so I don't have a picture).
And after a long day of hiking, driving and exploring (more on that in my next post) I unwound in front of the big screen TV in the little sun room. There are also two parlors where you can sit and chat, play card and board games or read quietly – just pick one of the countless thrillers, novels and magazines stacked or strewn about every which way.
As for the rooms themselves, they are simple but very pleasant. All have two queen or king size beds, and the rates are reasonable. The rooms are en-suite, though some of the bathrooms are a bit small, and the shower itself could feel claustrophobic if you are very large or tall. I stayed in Reverend Read's former parlor. Though my bed was a bit too hard for my taste, these little issues did not detract from the lovely time I had at this beautiful and eclectic inn. I've stayed in many hotels, motels and B&Bs, and some of the little touches at the Okemo Inn really made my day – like the powder room by the dining room, which was well hidden behind a very old wooden door. Inside was a large shelf with a nice assortment of sanitary products and other stuff, just in case you forgot to bring your own.
So if you're just like me – if you love quaint little inns with a bit of history and a lot of charm, and would much rather stay in a place filled with character and warmth instead of a soulless motel (even if the decor is not exactly your cup of tea) - this is the place for you.
(This review was published in my blog - http://im-translator.net/2012/11/25/okemo-inn/)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
West Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed at The Okemo Inn many times, usually at least 2 times a year around Labor Day and for New Year's. Usually four of us stay at the Inn. Ron and Toni Parry have owned this Inn for 40 years. Ron takes our breakfast orders, cooks, and serves the morning sumptuous breakfast. We always have a muffin and some kind of fruit with whatever we order. Toni has the dubious honor of cleanup and housekeeping. They are a great team! The Inn has been decorated with many treasures they have either made themselves like cane chairs and Shaker baskets or with collections of milk glass and books. The rooms are so comfortable and you can tell they are decorated with love. The front porch is to die for. It's huge, and we sit out there for hours just enjoying each other, the views and the wonderful experience of being at the Inn. It is conveniently located near Okemo mountain for skiiing, and it's a short drive to find any kind of restaurant you could want.

Room Tip: The room on the 1st floor adjacent to the big porch is my favorite room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Amherst, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had a large group of eight. 6 twenty somethings and two 50 somethings. The inn was great for evening card games and lounging in the common areas as a group. With the exception of the teeny bathrooms, the accommodations were spacious and comfortable. Breakfasts were delicious.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for the Okemo ski & stay package. definitely a worthwhile deal. the Okemo Inn is conveniently located, only 5 minutes away from Okemo mountain & close to the "town" area where many restaurants and stores are.

This is the first B&B i've been to, so I don't have anything to compare it to. However the decor of the Inn was very cozy. The Inn was super clean and there was only one other group staying at the Inn w/us so it was very quiet and calm.

We didn't receive the hot cider and warm fire in the den like other reviewers, but we didn't request it and I didn't want to trouble the innkeepers. One downside was that the bathroom was super small but what do you expect for a building built in 1810.

The home cooked breakfast was amazing--fresh muffins, eggs cooked any style, bacon/sausage, toast & one of the days there were home fries. There was also unlimited tea/coffee available.

Overall I liked the convenient location of the inn, the home cooked breakfast, warm accommodation (I expected it to be cold), cleanliness, and price of the Inn. I am definitely going back next year! (or maybe this year?!)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorktown, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I had a 3-night stay here on a summer road trip. Our large room was nicely decorated in blue and white and had a comfortable king-sized bed. There was no TV in the room, though a big one was available downstairs in a common space. We did not receive Wifi in our room (again, downstairs only). I had to ask for a hair dryer, which was promptly provided. The en-suite bathroom, retrofitted into this 19-century building, was teeny, with a 32"-square shower, a small sink, and, of course, a basic toilet. No wasted space!
Toni and Ron, the owners, were very accomodating, and the resident cat, Snoopy, presided over the TV room. Ron cooked up a made-to-order breakfast every day, eggs or pancakes or French toast, all very fresh and nicely done.
The atmosphere downstairs is country-clutter, with some very interesting antique oddities here and there. There is an attractive, small swimming pool outside, but we didn't try it out. Parking is available right outside the door, and it's just a short drive into town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My wife, 17 year old son and I took a last minute weekend away and the Okemo Inn was perfect for us. The room was very clean and inviting. The bathroom had just been updated with new fixtures. The beds and linens were clean and comfortable. The carpeting in the room looked brand new. We enjoyed reading in front of the fireplace and striking up a conversation with some other guests. The Inn has a lot of charm. There are a number of different areas to sit and relax if you have the time. Coffee and tea were available all day/evening. While there is a bar, they must not have an active license as they weren't selling liquor. However, the owner was happy to open our own wine and provide glasses.

Breakfast was more than the usual continental bagel and danish. They cooked eggs and bacon to order which was perfect to start our day. Muffins, coffee tea and a selection of juices were offered as well.

The location is perfect, situated between the main entrance to Okemo and the Jackson Gore lodge area. It is also close to the restaurants in Ludlow. We spoke with the owner who in addition to giving us a list of restaurants was happy to suggest some of his favorite places.

We have skied all over New England and stayed in any number of places, some good, some not so good. All too often the smaller owned places are just a bit too run down to be comfortable. This was not the case with the Okemo Inn. While it was affordable, it was also clean and pleasant. I wish we found this Inn years ago for our trips to Okemo.

Room Tip: We stayed in room ten which is accessed from the outside only. It was newly renovated
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We chose this B&B based on the reviews of others and are so glad that we did! We almost didn't make the trip due to an injury and I was on crutches, but thanks to owner Ron, he was kind enough to move our family to the 1st floor so I would not have to walk up a flight of stairs.....super nice! The B&B itself was utterly charming. When you first walk in there was a TV area with a large flat screen and couches. There was also 2 other sitting rooms with working fireplaces and comfy sitting areas. There was a lovely dining area set up with individual tables set for each family looking out into a large backyard. Each morning we watched the finches feed in one of many bird feeders while enjoying a yummy breakfast that consisted of a choice of either eggs or pancakes/waffles along with homemade muffins and a variety of juices (orange, apple, grapefruit). In addition to breakfast, Ron always had a choice of teas and hot cider available throughout the day along with various jars of candy, nuts and all sorts of goodies.

Our room was comfortable with 2 double beds and the room was very clean and neat. There was a large dresser and ample closet space. The only drawback was the size of the bathroom which was small. There was only about a 2 foot wide walking strip between the bathroom sink and the shower. The shower itself was a walk-in and at only 5'4" my head was touching the shower wand.

The Okemo Inn is literally 1/2 mile from the entrance to Okemo Mtn which is a big plus for us. All in all a great little gem!!

Thanks Ron for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Okemo Inn? Share your experiences!