“Last On My List” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Green Mountain at Fox Run

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Green Mountain at Fox Run
Fox Lane, Ludlow, VT 05149   |
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Ludlow
Chicago, Illinois
“Last On My List”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

I've been to many weight reducing/ health spas and this was my least favorite. My accomodations were horrible the first week of a two week stay and no adjustment was made to the bill - a dungeon of a room: no air conditioning, no phone in my room and in the basement with a view of the driveway above my head. The walk to the main facilities at night was horrendous - no lighting and lots of wild life - the wild life was the best part of the trip - but preferably in daylight! The meals were too caloric for some of us who did not have that much weight to lose. The philosophy is good for those who have never been off their butts and have eating concerns - higher caloric meals (average 1600 to 1800 a day) are OK for those with many pounds to lose. The workouts really did not start until the second week - after all the lectures the first week. I think this is too expensive not to jump start the first week. I was anticipating two weeks at a health spa that motivated me to start a new life style, but after two weeks of working REALLY hard I had lost nothing! Worst success story of my life. I've been more successful 4 days at other places. I think the meals were too caloric for me. But I made lots of new friends that I keep in touch with. The hikes were beautiful and the staff was great! The surrounding area was beautiful!

• Liked — Hills of Vermont - the scenery
  • Disliked — Dungenous room and I paid the same as all the other clients - worse room on the sight!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Roslyn New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

This is a very special, women only health "spa". I have been there many times over the last twenty years and successfully kept off over 50 pounds without dieting! I think it is a unique and special place. The food is healthy and delicious. Green Mountain is not a fancy place and not for people looking for a fancy pampering "spa" experience. I always thought that when I reached my goal weight I would go to a fancy "Canyon Ranch" type spa but Green Mountain has me hooked. If you are interested, they will have you out there hiking, snow shoeing and doing all kinds of activities you never imagined yourself doing. They also offer the traditional exercise classes for people who want to stay indoors and lectures about health, wellness and making positive changes to your life. Most of the participants are overweight and looking to make changes in their size and health. Green Mountain is for people who want to live a healthier, happier life and can help you on the road to making positive changes in all areas of your life.

Stayed July 2006
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

Wow, what else can I say. I had attempted everything there is in dieting and had no success. I was at my last attempt and signed up to go to Green Mountian for a month. I would have never imagined what was to happen.
I had the opportunity to meet some of the most wonderful women in the world.
The staff was top notch, very knowledgable and helpful. I learned not how to diet, but how to live.
I was not ready for another diet, nor did I want one. We had great meals of chicken, beef and pork. Now some of the dishes I had never had before and some I might not want again, but they were great in that aspect also.
Physically, they inform you as to what you need in a day and then tell you of all kinds of other things that you can do to change up your routine. We went on "vermontings" which was a great way to see the local area and it's beauty. Staff accompained you on these and were again knowledgable of the area.
With these two things I lost 11 lbs and 8 ins. I can not say that will happen for you, but I was very excited. Went from a 18/20 to a 16/18.
However, in addition to the food and exercise, Green Mountian has sereral slots a week allotted for your emotional well being. I learned more about myself and was more willing to make some changes after being empowered to do so.

Green Mountian, Thank you for changing my life. I have made it through one holiday and am feeling great. I can't wait to come back.

For those of you out there, it is a wonderful opportunity. Do it for yourself, you deserve it, you need it and you will not be sorry. The staff is there to help you all the way...even after you leave.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Be ready to meet some wonderful people
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

I have mixed feelings about Green Mountain, having visited several times over the past two years. I love the concept, the program and the staff. The atmosphere is great, and the program really does work. The fitness classes, along with the behavioral and nutrition components, are terrific. But management is inconsistent. My first visit was fantastic, but my following visits got progressively worse, and I don't think I'll return any time soon. The resort runs on a bare-bones staff, so if the fitness director is sick, expect to be told that you'll be offered an exercise videotape instead of a live class -- and that's if a staff member remembers to show up with a videotape at all. Many of my classes have been taught by completely unqualified (and, at times, unkempt and unwashed) college interns who've just rolled out of bed. (There have been some great interns, but they were exceptions.) At times you'll have to wait for interns to finish using fitness equipment, even though they're clearly told that paying guests get the equipment first. When I arrived for my third visit, there had been a change in chefs, and the food was middling to awful -- so bad that one night, I -- the compulsive overeater -- sent my dinner back to the kitchen. Expect relatively spartan rooms and a living room with broken furniture sorely in need of replacement. Be sure to check your bill carefully; my last bill contained a significant error, and the "guest services" coordinator did not take kindly to being questioned. There is no pool on site -- not a big deal for some, but expect to drive 25 miles to Rutland if you want to swim (the resort will offer you a whopping $5 gift certificate if you agree to drive other guests in your own car). Kvetching aside, the professional staff is great, and you will meet wonderful women from all over the world. It was my understanding when I last left that management was trying hard to improve the operation. I hope that's the case -- I would like to go back if it's improved.

• Liked — Professional staff
  • Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — Negotiate your rate. They're flexible in the off-season.
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

I signed up for month at Greem Mountain with about 90 pounds to lose and a number of health issues (high cholestoral, elavated liver functions, etc). It was my last hope before considering weight reduction surgery. It was a wonderful program that helped me relearn how to eat and I left feeling comfortable and confident working out in any gym. I have been back six month and am 1/2 way to my goal of losing 90lbs and feeling like I need to go back for a six month recharge. Plus, the area of Vermont they are in is so beautiful, I could live there. The daily walks and pilates are a real highlight. Also, the chefs really work hard personalizing the food to your needs. I am a picky eater with food allergies and they made me a special meal almost every night...and did it with a "can do" attitude.

Don't expect luxury. If you need 300 thread count sheets or a warm cream manicure, this is not the place for you. The facilities as someone said during my stay...are one step above a drug rehab center. They obviously put their money into great staff and not their public spaces or rooms. This didn't bother me but some felt that the value for the money was missing because of the run down facilities. For me, the lectures and fitness classes more than made up for this.

I plan to go back every year for the rest of my life. I think it will help me continue to live the healthy life I need and want.

• Stayed October 2005
Laconia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2006

I'm fortunate to have stayed at Green Mountain for 6 days in early May. I found Green Mountain in Spa Finder - a great spa website - but had known no one who had personally visitied.

Everything about the brochure and their website is 100% true. My time spent there was beneficial on so many levels: I learned healthy eating habits (the food was wonderful), I re-energized my fitness program by finding activities that I love to do (not HAVE to do), I met wonderful women in a beautiful setting.

The resort itself is in need of some updating but I found the rooms clean, comfortable and perfectly functional.

The staff is unsurpassed....friendly and well educated.

I could go on and on but perhaps I should sum up my visit by stating that I am returning again in three weeks for another slice of heaven!

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2005

Every year, I head up to Ludow, Vermont, to a women's health spa called Green Mountain at Fox Run. It's the best place I know to let all your worries melt away. They have a wonderful staff, including nutritionists, behaviorlists, exercise physiologists, and chefs. I love the food and I don't have to worry about whether or not what I'm eating is good for me. Although they give you about 1500 calories a day, that 1500 calories sometimes includes ice cream, cheese cake, or pizza.

I go by myself -- because I aways meet interesting people. You can get a single , a double, or a triple room. I get the triple because I'm cheap. But I usually wind up really enjoying my two roommates. This spa attracts well educated, well informed women. The mealtime conversation is great.

Vermont is picturesque. And if you want to leave the campus, you'll find neat little shops, factory outlets, and great restaurants nearby.

Check it out yourself. Go to fitwoman.

Been to Green Mountain at Fox Run? Share your experiences!