“Adequate room - nice fitness center” 3 of 5 stars

Pico Resort Hotel & Condominiums
4763 Killington Road, Killington, VT 05751   |
Ranked #13 of 13 hotels in Killington
Livermore, Maine
“Adequate room - nice fitness center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our 1 bedroom suite with kitchen was adequate but not special. Beds were not comfortable and the blankets and comforters looked like they needed a good washing. Housekeeping brought us clean towels each day but otherwise didn't seem to clean anything. Even though the resort was practically empty on the summer week we were there, we got a room facing a noisy road and parking lot. It would have been much nicer facing the mountain. It was very tricky to find the reservation counter - apparently during the off season, check-in happens in the Sports Center. We walked all over the place before running into someone who could direct us there. They really need some signage to let people know where to go. The fitness center and pool were really nice, clean and well maintained. Both Jacuzzis were being repaired or chemicals being adjusted so were not available for part of our stay. Staff were very pleasant but were never readily available - you had to push the telephone button and they came from a back room. Overall we would stay here again if necessary but it wouldn't be our first choice. There are nicer places in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the mountain - there will be much less road noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Just a concerned warning to anyone making reservations through Killington.com …..beware of the “bait and switch”. I have been staying up at Pico Resort and Condominiums for five consecutive years and am very familiar with the Killington area having spent a number of ski seasons there. Last year I had a sub-par experience, but this year was the worst. I annually stay in a particular condo in the “I “ building, and was assured at reservations three weeks ago that we (myself and four daughters) would be in the same three bedroom condo again. Upon arrival, we were diverted to another building and a two-bedroom condo with a pull out couch. I agreed to the different building to be accommodating and then went to visit relatives so I didn’t know it was two-bedroom until too late since everyone there leaves at 6 and there was no after hours phone to call except Dwayne, the manager of the Grand”, who made it clear that he could care less in an amazingly cordial tone! When we go into the room itself later that evening there was no cable TV. active (Pay your bills Dwayne!), the logs were unseasoned so all we had was smoldering for the fire, and now I had to sleep on a pull out couch that had NO SHEETS. I looked all around, but sure enough, no sheets in the house. It was gross. When I got home after the weekend, I decided to call Killington to voice my displeasure at being initially misled, and tell them that their accommodations are sub-par given what is charged. I opined that I should be offered half the money that I spent back since I did not get the room I was told, did not have TV. service, could not build a fire, and slept on a gross pull out bare mattress. After a couple unreturned calls, Dwayne referred me to Tammy (the Pico manager) who made it clear she could care less in an amazingly cordial tone. Tammy said any more questions would have to wait because she is going away until November 7 on vacation. I hope your vacation was better than mine Tammy, although I can safely assume that the staff was infinitely more available and professional than Killington’s. Seriously folks, going skiing at Killington is a real expense, and I highly encourage you to not stay at a Killington based resort. There are so many other really great options adjacent to the mountain. If you have to deal with these cordial morons, then please make sure you get written confirmation that includes the room that you were promised. At least you will have your information well defined before you are screwed and then cordially dismissed.

Room Tip: Book outside of the Killington.com resorts
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed at Pico because we were going to a wedding in Mendon . We were quite impressed with accomodations. Going to bed at night we heard water rushing through the brook next to our condo,it was very soothing. There was a full kitchen with utensils etc. We couldn't find any sugar for the coffee and a non stick fryng pan but everything else was there. The staff brought a whole stack of fresh towels the second day ! The king size bed was very comfortable but the twin beds were more for a child than an adult. The living room was quite cozy with soft ,comfy couches. The bathrooms were nicely decorated and the essentials were provided. We needed a late check out and the staff was able to give a one hour extension and the keys had to delivered to the sports center or we would be charged a $75 late fee. All in all not bad

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Clarksville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Last minute New Year's vacation with my kids. Got on the Killington website, I guess they own Pico now also, and tried their Book Blind deals. I had a budget of about $1,000 with three kids, and gave it a shot with the two night (minimum) stay. I think I got something like 40% off on lift tickets too. I was surprised that even though I booked via Killington, I was staying at Pico but then learned lift tickets were good for both. Check in time wasn't til 5pm which seemed late to me but I don't ski much so this is new to me.
Drove to Killington early and had a great day but that is a big mountain for beginning skiers. Lifts shut down a little earlier than the advertised 4pm and we were stuck far from our car on accident. There are several lodges on the Mountain and they all look alike. Mountain maps and trail names didn't match up. Shuttles came every 10 minutes, yeah right try 30 minutes. Then when it comes they can take only three. Which kid do I leave behind? The three people behind us were happy.
Finally back to the car, exhausted, wet, and cold. Drove to the Pico Condos. Front desk was pleasant but inexperienced. Went in room and "Oh my". The building seemed dated, one kid asked if the elevator was going to make it. The room was at the end of the building (I am 6'3" and my 14 yr old is taller) and the ceiling had a drastic slant to it. I was also upset that there was no fireplace, since all the pics and descriptions had them. I didn't think changing the room would be a problem since the place looked deserted. The guy at the front desk was a really nice kid and tried to make some calls to help us out. Told us to wait in the room and he would call us in 10 mins. Took my cell# because he didn't know how to call the room??? 30 minutes later I come back to the desk in no mood to argue and willing to cut my losses. I did get a little frustrated when I told the desk guy what I didn't like about the room and he just relayed the part about the fireplace. Sorry but my head hitting the ceiling in half the room, the funky smell, etc. was really the point. Apparently using the Blind booking option gives you no rights what so ever. You got the discount so you take what you get and stop bothering us. I was a little frustrated but just wanted to unpack and get the kids some food on New Year's Eve. The desk kid said he found a room not at the the end, of course he did the place was nearly empty. We went into the 2nd floor room and Wow, what a difference. Fireplace, nicer kitchen, cleaner, everything, now that's what I am talking about. Now we just had to find the key to the wood shed to get wood, nope we got the spare at the desk. It was my B-day so I wanted a glass of wine. The kitchen had everything from a garlic press to a Turkey baster but now cork screw. My son came back with the front desk guy's really nice swiss army knife.
So to rate: the new room was clean, even though $300 is a lot for a night to me, apparently it is low end for ski resorts so a decent value with the lift ticket discounts. I found the bed very uncomfortable (firm). Next day we skied Pico Mountain. This was a better Mountain for us. Never got lost, got down the hill before legs were burning, short walk back to room, not as many people. Ordered Pizza, wings and calzones from the local favorite spot and it was very good and delivered hot and not too late for New Year's Eve. Next night Dinner at the Southwest Grill near Killington. Amazing dinner and service, of course a lot more $ than pizza. Kids loved the chicken in a maple syrup creation, table bread was jalepeno corn bread. I wasn't too impressed with dinning, bar, etc. at the condo's. Again all the thanks in the world to that kid at the front desk, because the people he called on the phone for help at first didn't care about my family at all. I don't think I will book "blind" again with kids but it was an adventure and worked out in the end.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Pico just can't beat Killington. The skiing is way better at Killington and Bear Mountain. I stayed here for one night before moving to Killington Mountain and stayed at a couple hotels there. This place was just so deserted and lonely. I felt like the only person in the world!

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Very lonely and out dated.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pico Resort Hotel & Condominiums? Share your experiences!