...sometimes you just need to call a spade a spade.
We booked the Val Roc through Killington's "Snowblind" deal. Despite reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I felt like I wanted to give the place the benefit of the doubt because we'd be staying here regardless.
So while hoping for the best, we pulled into the parking lot and were pleasantly surprised with the first impression. It seemed like the exterior had gotten a fresh coat of paint and it had just snowed a bit so everything had a fresh sprinkling of snow.
As a group of 5 + our dog, we stayed in Room #12 (1 double, 1 single, 1 queen bed). Based on another review, we brought along an air mattress to sleep on. It's a basic economy room with mini fridge, microwave and small coffee machine. The rooms were drafty and so we cranked up the heat and shoved some towels under the door and served as a quick solution. Showers were sufficient with plenty of hot water, albeit very low water pressure. Everything was in working order and from a perfectly sufficient for a budget weekend. And at this point, I felt like we were getting what we paid for and I was prepared to write up a good review for the motel.
What made everything that was decent up until this point go completely down the drain happened from this point forward. As we were all getting ready to sleep, EVERY one of us couldn't stop sneezing. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was but most likely there were dust on the blankets or something and we shook everything up once we started getting into the beds. I have asthma which always gets triggered in very dusty environments and needed to use my inhaler in order for prevent my chest from closing up. Luckily I bring my humidifier whenever I travel and so I had it pointed directly at myself to help ease the discomfort. At this point we tried to called Killington Central Reservations but because of the late hour, we couldn't reach anyone. We decided to tough it out and eventually fell asleep.
The next morning we had an very basic breakfast that consisted of bagels and coffee. When we explained our issue with my asthma and the general discomfort caused by sneezing from our entire party, the owners agreed they'd change out the blankets for us.
After a day of skiing, we returned to our rooms with our beds haphazardly made. Seriously? They just kind of slapped another blanket on top and the bottom of the sheets were just hanging onto the floor. Clean towels were folded but thrown onto the sink like they tossed it onto the vanity and called it a day.
Since we were checking out the next morning, we decided to just suck it up and stay here one more night. With a bunch of sneezing and another puff of my inhaler, we had another night of fitful sleep. The next morning, we packed up quick and got out fast.
I've stayed at plenty of budget motels before but this place might just take the cake. I wanted to give a fair review for this place but I can honestly vow to myself that we would never stay at this establishment again. I'd recommend other travelers to stay elsewhere. There are plenty of budget-friendly motels that provide better sanitary options.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.