“Really wanted to be optimistic, but...” 2 of 5 stars

Val Roc Motel
Route 4, Killington, VT 05701   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Killington
New York City
“Really wanted to be optimistic, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

...sometimes you just need to call a spade a spade.

We booked the Val Roc through Killington's "Snowblind" deal. Despite reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I felt like I wanted to give the place the benefit of the doubt because we'd be staying here regardless.

So while hoping for the best, we pulled into the parking lot and were pleasantly surprised with the first impression. It seemed like the exterior had gotten a fresh coat of paint and it had just snowed a bit so everything had a fresh sprinkling of snow.

As a group of 5 + our dog, we stayed in Room #12 (1 double, 1 single, 1 queen bed). Based on another review, we brought along an air mattress to sleep on. It's a basic economy room with mini fridge, microwave and small coffee machine. The rooms were drafty and so we cranked up the heat and shoved some towels under the door and served as a quick solution. Showers were sufficient with plenty of hot water, albeit very low water pressure. Everything was in working order and from a perfectly sufficient for a budget weekend. And at this point, I felt like we were getting what we paid for and I was prepared to write up a good review for the motel.

What made everything that was decent up until this point go completely down the drain happened from this point forward. As we were all getting ready to sleep, EVERY one of us couldn't stop sneezing. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was but most likely there were dust on the blankets or something and we shook everything up once we started getting into the beds. I have asthma which always gets triggered in very dusty environments and needed to use my inhaler in order for prevent my chest from closing up. Luckily I bring my humidifier whenever I travel and so I had it pointed directly at myself to help ease the discomfort. At this point we tried to called Killington Central Reservations but because of the late hour, we couldn't reach anyone. We decided to tough it out and eventually fell asleep.

The next morning we had an very basic breakfast that consisted of bagels and coffee. When we explained our issue with my asthma and the general discomfort caused by sneezing from our entire party, the owners agreed they'd change out the blankets for us.

After a day of skiing, we returned to our rooms with our beds haphazardly made. Seriously? They just kind of slapped another blanket on top and the bottom of the sheets were just hanging onto the floor. Clean towels were folded but thrown onto the sink like they tossed it onto the vanity and called it a day.

Since we were checking out the next morning, we decided to just suck it up and stay here one more night. With a bunch of sneezing and another puff of my inhaler, we had another night of fitful sleep. The next morning, we packed up quick and got out fast.

I've stayed at plenty of budget motels before but this place might just take the cake. I wanted to give a fair review for this place but I can honestly vow to myself that we would never stay at this establishment again. I'd recommend other travelers to stay elsewhere. There are plenty of budget-friendly motels that provide better sanitary options.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Valroc motel. We were concerned about what to expect after seeing comments on trip advisor. Our room was clean, comfortable and had a refrigerator and microwave(perfect for the leftover turkey we brought along) The location is great, close to the ski lifts and 20 minutes to Woodstock. Woodstock is a picture post card village and we got some early Christmas shopping done. The price was reasonable and we were allowed to bring our dog. The outdoor hot tub was a treat. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We left this place at 3 AM! No kidding!
We arrived around midnight after a 5-hour drive with our 2 young children. We booked through Killington Mountains central reservation system online. It was a deal called "Snow Blind" where you have no idea where you will be staying until after you've paid your non-refundable bill in full.
We knew from the price (a little over $100 per night) it would be utilitarian but not run down, smelly and disgusting! Budget does not need to mean dirty. Our blankets were stained and with cigarette holes. The wallpaper was peeling at every seam. There were nails in the wall where pictures no longer hung.
But of everything that was wrong with that room the smell was the worst. It smelled like an entire football teams sweaty socks. We tried to stay and deal with it since we had already paid but also I had started my journey that day in Dublin, Ireland but at 3 AM, neither my wife or I could sleep, and couldn't stop scratching... To make a long story short we ended repacking the car, strapped the kids in and escaped the fourth corner of hell...
We finally wound up at the Best Western in Killington/Mendon and the manager cut us a break on the first "night" since by this time it was 5:30 in the morning. We paid about 2 thirds more for that room but it was absolutely worth it and there was no comparison in the quality and cleanliness not to mention that the Best Western serves breakfast in the AM with some hot items like waffles.
On a bright note Killington Central Reservations refunded our money promptly after sending an email to explain the situation...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011 via mobile

We decided to drive to killington last minute and this was one of the only affordable spots close to the mountain that was still available. The room had a very musty odor to it and the bathroom was frigid. There was a fridge in the room but it wasn't plugged in and there were no spare outlets if we wanted to plug it in. There was also overflowing dumpster pretty much directly in front of our door which wasn't too stinky because it was cold and luckily it didn't attract too many critters. We arrived very late at night when the office was closed and they were kind enough to leave a note and our room unlocked with the key inside. The hotel works in a pinch if you want to be close to mountain but not pay a fortune for a last minute trip.

• Stayed December 2010
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Val Roc for some early season skiing. We skied all morning on good conditions for mid November. We got back to the motel and soaked our sore bones in the hot tub. We saw that they had a tennis court and the net was still up. We borrowed racquets and balls and got to ski and play tennis the same day!

We asked about a place for dinner and being early season many places were not open yet. The owner recommended the Long Trail Brewery which is about 10 minutes away. Terrific choice, we sampled a variety of different beers (coffee beer?) and burgers in the brew pub.

The room was very comfortable and the owners were helpful with local advice and even gave us late check-out at no charge so we could change out of our ski clothes for the ride home.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

This was the dirtiest, smelliest hotel I've every stayed in. We had no other choice or would have switched. Ended up driving into Rutland to buy Febreeze at Walgreens just so we could tolerate the smokey mustiness. The bathroom had a beer opener nailed to the vanity?

We couldn't imagine sleeping in the bed so ended up lying on top of it (maybe not a good idea either) and leaving at first light. The people who run it were not friendly or helpful. They must make enough on ski season to get through the rest of the seasons, because they clearly didn't care. It's too bad because the location is gorgeous. Imagine the Bates Motel in a Sound of Music setting and you get the picture.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

This motel is inexpensive, but somewhat rundown. Room had musty odor and drywall in ceiling was stained from an old leak. Bathroom was very small and claustrophobic.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Val Roc Motel? Share your experiences!