“Cute Place Place But..” 2 of 5 stars

Killington Mtn Rd, Box 119, Killington, VT 05751   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Killington
“Cute Place Place But..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

We ski Killi almost every President's Day Holiday and booked this on a whim because our favorite lodging places were booked solid. I have to say the old rustic feel of The Summit with the two Saint Bernard’s walking around was very charming. Unfortunately, can't recommend this Lodge due to maintenance issues. The Facilities in general were not maintained very well. Our room heat was balsting and the thermostat didn't work. It was like 100 degrees in the room. We asked the front desk about this and they said open the window/door or try to find the shut off valve on the radiator. We are easy going so that was a solution but then we smelt sewage and then noticed sewage water running down into our room. The lower level smelt like a sewer too so they have issues. After that, we asked for a new room which was better upstairs but again, maintenance issues were a concern in that room too but at least it didn't smell like sewage. The rooms in general are very small and rustic. Breakfast was good but was not included in the room price. The bar and eats downstairs was nice with a large indoor hot tub right next to the bar which was cool. The Grist Mill Restaurant is walking distance next door but decided not to take a chance after our room fiasco and drove to our favorite known spots on the access road. The Lodge staff in general didn't seem that friendly, hospitable or eager to help in any way, except for the two Saint Bernard’s! I can't say anyone was rude though, they just seemed like they didn't want to be there either.

• Stayed February 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Kingston, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Just got back from a weekend at Summit Lodge and will not return. We have been going to Killington for many years and had always wanted to try this lodge. Well we should have stuck to what was familiar.
First, we called and asked about rate for two for two night, they told us breakfast was included, but that is if you only book through them ( booked using Expedia) so no breakfast for us. The staff was not friendly at all. The clerk at the front desk barely said a word while checking in and just stared at us each time we went by the front desk, creepy!
The room was OK, small but ok. The bathroom was small and the toilet seat was broken so you had to be mindful of that. While using the hot tub the staff kept checking to ensure no guest brought their own “ Drinks”, yes I know Vermont laws about liquor but this was annoying!
The dogs were about the only thing we liked about the lodge. We do like old world charm and cozy Inns, but this was lacking the charm and friendly atmosphere you would expect from quality lodge. First time / Last time.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury,CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Summit for 4 days over New Years. We had a wonderful time. It is a very warm homey atmosphere, perfect for some quality family time. My kids, ages 7 and 9 absolutely loved it. After a long day of skiing, it was great to come back and soak in the hot tub. The outdoor pool was fabulous, a real hit with the kids. It is also convenient to have a place for dinner on site. We met a lot of interesting people and honestly felt like it was a place we had been going to for years. The staff was all very helpful and polite. On the negatives, the walls are paper thin. You hear a lot of noise from rooms next door. Also, remember, it is a rustic lodge. The rooms are adequate, but don't expect much. The bathrooms are outdated, etc. These things did not detract from the overall stay. It was the perfect ski retreat and we will definitely return.

• Liked — The warm family feeling and of course the pool and hot tub!
  • Disliked — The thin walls.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

If you like cookie cutter hotels, this one is not for you. On the other hand, if you like something different with arguably the best property in the Killington Basin, the Summit is for you. I take my family there during the winter and summer. First of all, winter or summer, the views are spectacular. During the summer, they have wonderful red clay tennis courts to play on, no instructors or supplies, but the courts are great. There is a nice pool with a bar adjacent to it. The Summit has a nice outdoor eating area, as well as an indoor area. They have shuffle board courts, horse shoe pits, and bocce ball courts. Adjacent to the property is the Grist Mill (same owners) which serves great food all year round. There is much to do in the area ranging from golfing, hiking, swimming, alpine slides, and mountain biking. The region is what you make of it.
There is no doubt the bathrooms need remodeling/updating. It's probably my biggest gripe, but the property/location more than makes up for it.
If you are a real skier or snowboarder you'll love the Summit. Besides much of what I mentioned above, after a hard day on the slopes, it feels great to do some Après skiing at the summit.
They have wonderful fireplaces and great rooms to relax in. You could also relax in the Jacuzzi, or sauna and then head up to the bar. They usually have entertainment. When that gets old, head over to the Grist Mill for a wilder experience. If that doesn't do it for you, head over to the Wobbly barn. Do I need to remind you that Killington has some of the steepest and most technically challenging terrain in the East? I mean if you’re a great skier/boarder you are going to gravitate to the place anyway. If you’re a beginner or intermediate, Killington has near 200 slopes. The place is huge, with terrain for everybody. I don't like writing this, because I hate crowded slopes, but face it, on the east Killington is a beast.
I lean toward the rustic side for my resorts, if I'm skiing the east and I need a place to stay at Killington, I would recommend the Summit to all Vermont adventurers.

• Liked — The property and the amenities
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Upstate New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

We were warmly greeted by the front desk person on arrival. Check in was quick and easy.

The Summit is not a large property with just 45 rooms, and it is VERY charming. The sitting room is large and comfortable with a nice fire and very rustic woodwork - just what i was looking for in a ski lodge.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable and clean.

The Lodge is very close to Killington ski area, maybe 1-2 miles.

I would stay there again without question.

• Liked — The Summit has a very warm and cozy ambiance
  • Disliked — Had no issues
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chester, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

I loved the Summit Lodge, I was a little worried after reading the other reviews but I have to say happily surprised when I got there. It is warm and inviting all of the staff was wonderful. Our room was small but cozy and clean all of the common area's are very inviting. I plan to stay there again with my family next season, it's very close to the mountain and they have a fantastic hot tub for relaxing after a long day of skiing! I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great place to stay near the slopes!
Kim

• Liked — Warmth and coziness the staff friendliness
  • Disliked — room was a little small but adaquate-
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

I usually don't write reviews...I just don't go back. In this case our group of nine were very dissapionted.

It felt as if somebody died the day before. A very somber feeling by almost all of the staff. It was as if they were scared to be happy.

Jim F

Stayed March 2008

Been to Summit Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!