“We LOVE the Summit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 hotels in Killington
New York
“We LOVE the Summit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stay here every season, usually more than once. Yes, it's old and dated and the matresses need an upgrade. But, the decor is homey and in good taste. We happily overlook the drawbacks because its such a warm, friendly and charming place.

Staff is awesome and the Dogs even better.

The location is convenient and the Breakfast is fantastic. We especially love the Blueberry pancakes.

This is a diamond in the rough and we were pleased to see the new tv's this year. If management were to invest in higher quality mattresses, pillows and bed linens, the place would be heaven.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are much quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
holbrook ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Think of a Currier and Ives winter scene,The snow is falling and a sled with a family glides up to the Summit Lodge.The children are excited and the parents are happy.Step inside and be greeted by the friendly staff and the 2 Saint Bernard dogs Rachael and Teddy.We have been going to the Summit many years and have never been disappointed. The entire lodge is rustic wood decor,The family room is large and inviting with a huge fireplace that we sat before every night,The food is excellent there is a heated pool and hot tub a sauna and a great bar restaurant.The rooms are clean and give the feeling of antique furniture to relax in and forget about the busy world you left behind.Inn keeper,owner Bill Bauer is very friendly and professional He is about the hotel all the time and even took time to discuss whats going on in the Kiillington region.My family never had such a relaxing and exciting vacation that we experienced at the Summit.We plan to return in the summer the lodge has air conditioned rooms with new LCD TV's.When I went back to work I couldn't stop thinking of our step back in time.

Room Tip: There are a few family rooms that can accommodate a large family
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is my first time to Vermont and i stayed for Valentines day thru the weekend. Upon arrival Lera gave me a brief tour. Through out my stay she was VERY helpful. Bill who i didnt realize was the inn keeper til the second to last day i was there also was great with providing us details where to go shop and eat in woodstock.

The Summit is PERFECTLY located with in a mile or two of great restaurants and Killington mountain. We had dinner the first night at the Summit and the food was delicious. I then ate at Birch Ridge Inn, Peppinos Ristorante and On the Rocs Lounge. I will leave reviews for each when im done with this one but i must say if you are going to go out and eat these 3 spots were unbelievable!

Now the Summit isnt a 5 star resort but it isnt a 2 star either. its tough to rate it cus it has a lot of good and little things that they should take care of to make it even better. Rooms are very small i will say but i didnt come to stay in the room. tv's are fine. bathroom a tad small but who cares. the mattress on the bed i felt every spring. rooms have no iron so u must go to front desk and ask for one. if you want room service you have to ask the day before to get breakfast. Hot tub is good but get there early cus the kids will take over the area. pool i didnt get to try i just didnt think i can go out into the cold to stay in it and risk getting sick. game room is eh. they do have a washer and drier. It is a bit old but like i said its just the little things that make a potential 2-3 star resort into a 5 star. Plus side is they have a place for you to leave ur skiis and boots and lock it up at night.

When i come up again i will definitely look into staying here but will also look around to see what my options are.

If it is your first time skiing go to snow shed.

DO NOT MISS BREAKFAST. It is delicious!!!! wish i wouldve taken advantage of it instead of sleeping in and missing it. breakfast ends at 10am

Ask for a room with a view of the mountain.

Room Tip: second floor even number rooms have a beautiful view of the mountains.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cranford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just came back from a weekend trip - a father & his two sons.

On a positive note, the staff was very fair with their treatment of my situation. My son became ill over night with a fever and they allowed me to be charged only for 2 nights instead of 4 nights. We had to leave early. That was a very nice gesture. Also, for the most part, the staff was relatively nice. The location was also very convenient being only a couple of miles from the main lodge at Killington. The dogs were absolutely adorable and a very nice theme.

The negative:

The entire hotel is extremely dated in every part to the point where "rustic", or "homey" can not be used as a euphemism. All the carpeting, fixtures, windows and furnishing must have been last updated 30 years ago. The breakfast room's skylights had mildew, or mold around them. The breakfast was nothing like the special Vermont "lodgy/B&B" that you would normally expect in VT.

As for the rooms, I can not speak to other types of rooms other than the economy level. Besides the walls & floors being paper thin, the room was very small especially considering it was meant to sleep 4. I would imagine that most of the people visiting, go for skiing and most likely have lots of clothing. I was there with my 2 young teenage boys and we hardly fit. I could not imagine having a fourth person. The bathroom was no larger than a normal sized powder room, but included a shower with very low water pressure. Again, very, very old a cheap quality & I question the cleanliness. There was a piece of the flooring missing beneath the sink. The bedding was something like my grandmother had on her beds > 30 years ago. The mattresses were poor at best. By the second night my back hurt pretty badly. It did seem as though there were clean sheets, but the blankets had holes in them and some old burn marks. Although, I really don't go to VT to watch TV in my room, it would be nice to have a newer TV where the remote works.

I really don't like writing these types of reviews, but I feel that other customers should be alerted before staying somewhere, and maybe the owners will pay attention to these reviews & use it as constructive criticism. I'm very surprised to see that the hotel actually received lots of favorable reviews. I may not know how it ranks relative to other hotels in the area. If the ratings are accurate from a relative standpoint, I would hate to see some of the other places. Also, from what I understand this hotel's rates are fairly economical compared to other hotels in the area.

I think the hotel is very conveniently located and has a layout that can work very nicely only if the owners paid as much attention to the hotel as they do to their dogs, even though they are awesome dogs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Summit is a great place to stay for all ages. The staff was very friendly and showed us to our room and made the hotel feel very welcoming. The hot tub is great to hang out with fellow skiers and tell your tales of the day's skiing adventures and don't forget to find the famous Saint Bernards. The Summit is a very warm welcoming and great place to stay without all the frills. The room was a little old, but it didn't take away from the overall good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that have mountain views from the second floor and if you choose economy rooms expect...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Halfmoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our golf league stayed overnight and played two rounds of golf at GMNGC. Golf was arranged for us by the Summit Lodge. The food at the Summit Lodge was the best. The owner, Bill, set us up on the outdoor patio for dinner with a delicious BBQ Buffet. The Summit Lodge staff was outstanding in every way and made our stay enjoyable. The resort was everything we were looking for for an overnight golf league getaway. Looking forward to returning.

Bill F
Halfmoon, NY

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hazlet, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

This was our first stay. We were originally worried about getting to and from the mountain, but the shuttle made it easy. Coming home to relax in the hot tub with a drink and play with the 2 saint Bernards made each night fun. The rooms and decor are older, but that's what we loved, it felt like a true ski lodge. Overall a great stay and we will be back...

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Summit Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!