“Great Breakfast, Awful Beds” 2 of 5 stars

Cascades Lodge Killington
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   58 Old Mill Rd., Killington, VT 05751   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Breakfast, Awful Beds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

This was our first trip to Killington and wanted to stay at the most affordable place that was close to the mountain. The only thing that saves this place from a 1.5 stars is the service, the breakfast, and the hottub. Check In was a breeze but when we went to our room there was this stench in the hallway. It smelt like Mold mixed with skunk. It was awful. Now, when I called them, I requested that a necessity was to have a microwave in the room. I was told that there would be one in the room so we had brought a cooler with lots of food that depended on a microwave being there. We arrived and there was no microwave. That was my first issue. Now, some may say that's ridiculous, but having planned lunch and dinner around items you have in a cooler--renting a bigger car = more $$ it means that you could've saved more money and prep time had people known wth they were talking about. I will say that the receptionist's were very nice and understanding and they used their microwave to heat up our food and we were told that we weren't the only ones who were told that. So my response was, get it together people...

The next thing was that our room was FREEZING. Now, I like the cold--really I do, but we had done everything we could to get our room to a more comfortable temp but nothing worked. And then, the beds, yes after a day of ski/riding you should fall right asleep but why was I unable to do that? I felt like I was going to sleep on a sheet of ice. The beds were so hard and uncomfortable. I was already sore and I woke up each morning feeling like I needed to go to the hot tub. One thing that made our stay much more tolerable was the breakfast. They really had a AWESOME breakfast. I almost felt as if they were saying "We know our BEDS suck, but we'll make it up to you with our great breakfast" To give you an idea there were, Breakfast Burritos, Pancakes, French Toast, Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Fruit, Bagels, Cereal, Juice, Coffee...and it really helped start our day. That would be one thing that saved their rating. Walls are paper thin, this is true. Nobody went to their restaurant so that told me a little about their restaurant. Overall, I would not spend this amount of money for this hotel. While the Breakfast was great, I would prefer getting a good nights sleep and finding breakfast somewhere. There are plenty of hotels off the mountain and you should look into some of those that are probably cheaper and give you more for your money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Norristown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

Talking to the local ski shop guy about hitting up Killington for the weekend, he mentioned he was going in 2 days. Said he and his buddies always stay at the Cascades... committed the name it to memory before leaving the store. If a the ski shop goes there, must be decent.
I have terrible luck in ski lodging...most places I stay at have smelled like mildew and make me want to sleep fully clothed. My luck has changed.
They were very accommodating in my late arrival and having a pet friendly policy. Rooms were super clean and smelled great. Has a pool, hot tub and sauna for the aching bones. A bar/lounge area with pool table, games, TV, fireplace.
Food was awesome. Felt like I should have paid for breakfast buffet. Thinking of the hash browns is what got my cousin up one morning!! HAHA!! They really were that good. I hope they don't change the way they make hash browns, the texture and taste is spot on. Very nice selection of breakfast foods. Started the day off this good smooths out all the bumps in the road later on in the day.
Breakfast was so tasty, we tried out the bar/lounge for dinner. The burgers was char-grilled to perfection and hot wings tasted exactly like they should. Digested on the plush couch in front of the wide-screen tv, then rolled into bed.
Great was to spend the birthday weekend. Will be back when Killington has some more snow.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Newtown, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

Stayed 1 night Columbus day weekend. 2 cars in the parking lot out back. Ours and a very obnoxious guy from New Jersey, Pounding on the floor above us until almost 1 am. Finally went up stairs and he denied it was him. The fact that the Innkeeper would put us directly underneath makes you wonder. Carpet tired. Rates the same as everybody else. No reason to go there. Go next door to Mountain Inn for better bet

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I traveled to look for fall foliage with my 90 year old aunt. We stayed at Cascades Lodge and I was very touched by the kindness and care we received. The receptionist, Pita, was the most helpful and friendly staff I've ever encountered in any hotel. She is so wonderful that she even gave my aunt a pair of her own socks! The room was spacious and very clean. I also had my dog along and our room had its own patio and sliding doors-extremely convenient.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Don't come here if you want glitz! If you want great rooms, friendly service, and closeness to the ski slope, come here. We spent a wonderful week and we'll be back next year.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

Since I used Trip Advisor to assist in booking my trip, I feel I should at least write about my experience to help others.
I traveled with 3 friends, all low 30s. I chose this hotel because of the proximity to the mountain, on-site bar/lounge, breakfast, and pool/hot tub. This hotel met all of my requirements. It's def. just a place to hang your hat while you are enjoying Killington.
Breakfast is a standard continental style: eggs, bacon, toast, cereal etc. I’ve heard there is a really good breakfast somewhere down the road but you can’t beat that this is included with your room.
Proximity: Walked 4 minutes to Ramshead lodge (you can take the shuttle right outside as well) and was quickly on the lift to explore.
Bar/Lounge: Nice fireplace, couches, 50"+ TV, and draft beer. We watched the Olympics and drank beer - couldn’t get better than that.
Pool/Hot Tub: Great place to relax for a few minutes after riding. Nice Plus
Rooms: Standard Hotel rooms, nothing crazy, just a place to sleep. The sheets/bed was clean and comfortable.
Hospitality: Tia was great. Even helped clean up a friend because he “ATE” too much at the Wobbly Barn. Good stuff.
In summary, if you want somewhere to crash while you enjoy the mnt. + Killington’s restaurants/bars – don’t pass this place up. It’s perfect.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
eggsrgreat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Just came back from a great 2 night stay at the Cascades Lodge in Killington. After much effort into determining where ww would stay for our skiing weekend, I selected the Cascades Lodge. I was VERY PLEASED with my selection!

The facilities are very comfortable and meet all of our needs, not to mention being right next door the the lifts (free shuttle or 5 minute walk). The rooms were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the complimentary all you eat buffet breakfast each morning. I enjoyed the hot tub to rest my "skiied out" body and the kids had a blast in the indoor pool.

The location is right in the heart of many dining choices , as well just next door to Black Dog Deals, where we easily rented out skiing equipment for the weekend.

Were normally the Hilton, Sheraton and Embassy Suites type of family, but even though this is a level below, I would be a repeat customer and do it all over again.

If your still undecided on where to stay when coming to Killington, trust me, this is a good option!

Oh yeah...they have a nice lounge area, where you can sit by the fireplace on comfortable sofa's and watch the big screen TV, while enjoying a nice beverage or play a game of pool.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Cascades Lodge Killington? Share your experiences!