“A Country Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Underhill
“A Country Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This restaurant is a gem. We have been regular dinner customers for about a year and we are always pleased with the food and the service. We haven't been in since they apparently changed the menu but the quality of the food in the past has always been solid. As I read the reviews below I was frankly surprised by how negative they are. I felt I had to comment and stick up for the place because some of them seem unnecessarily mean for the sake of being mean. Sure, we've had to wait for our food sometimes but the staff is always friendly, they know our names and we always feel welcome. We've sat at the bar on occasion when there wasn't a table available and had great service and conversation with the bartender, whose name escapes me. Its a good neighborhood spot. This is a country restaurant on a country road in a country town. We don't expect 'city' service. Its sad that so many of their reviewers seem to enjoy beating them down. Some people need to relax.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

55% Recommend
Vermont
“Slow service bumming me out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We continue to give the Village Cup second chances, but now it has become a running joke with our neighbors. Bummer because it is close to home (less than a mile away). We are usually not this critical and have NEVER posted a comment about any restaurants but like a previous poster, we have loved this spot for many years (including the prior owner). The service is consistently slow and it does not really feel like the welcoming local restaurant that it once did. There is always a prolonged wait time to get seated, long wait time to have someone come to your table after you are seated, and the most frustrating is the wait time to get the check. We have even gone up to the counter to pay more than once. The other very disappointing issue it the lack of a dessert menu. Why? Even just a little list sharing what you have each day. Recently the waitstaff didn't even know what was available. Bummer. I do hope things are remedied as this could be a wonderful treasure of the town of Jericho.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Vermont
“Slow and disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We continue to return to the Village Cup because it is close to home and a beautiful setting. We are not picky critics. I have never posted a comment about any restaurants but have given this beautiful little spot many, many chances. The service is consistently slow. There is a prolonged wait time to get seated, long wait time to have someone come to your table after you are seated, and most frustrating is the wait time to get the check. There is a regular turnover in waitstaff, orders get mixed up, and the kitchen does not seem to be able to keep up with the orders. I was really pleased to see they had washed the windows so we could enjoy the view. For a while things were running well here, I am not sure what happened. I love the coffee but can not do the wait. I hope they rally and address this issue.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Out there somewhere
“You will be disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I recently received a reply from the manager of the Village Cup after I posted a very poor review and rating. I was pleased to get the reply which included an apology for the poor quality and service, an explanation of what she believed went wrong, what is being done to try to address the problems and an offer of a gift certificate if I were to try them again. I hesitated as I found many, many other recent poor reviews as well, but decided I had nothing to lose since I pass the place frequently. I stopped in this past week and this is what I encountered:
There were only one or two tables with customers as it was after the lunch rush.
While waiting to be helped, two employees stood behind the counter whispering for a full 5 minutes without stopping to see if there were customers at the counter. (Five minutes is not a long time and I am not being picky but it was more the fact that one was even facing me but never acknowledged that I was standing there.)
The gift card I was told would be waiting for me was not anywhere to be found.
The hostess on duty was very kind and was willing to make up the gift card for me which she did.
While waiting 20 minutes for the gift card I was hoping to order a specialty coffee, but no employees acknowledged me at the counter – one server was behind the counter digging in her purse and checking and texting on her cell phone, one employee who I asked if she was the barista said no and disappeared never thinking to ask someone to come out to help me, and two other employees worked all around me clearing tables but never offered to help me either.

Clearly the problem in this place is not the chef or the menu as suggested by Tammy the manager in her reply to my review. The problem is lack of leadership from the top down, poor training, and hiring lazy people who lack good waitstaff or customer service skills. All of the people I encountered in both visits lacked initiative and common sense (except the hostess who was bright enough to have another gift card made up).

Finally with gift card in hand, I turned to walk out and another patron approached me saying, “So you have had problems here too?” She then went on to tell me about the poor service she had had that morning as well. There was absolutely no one in the place so there is no excuse whatsoever.

Even with a $25 gift card burning a hole in my purse, I stand by my original review.....keep driving down the road and find somewhere else to eat. You will be very disappointed if you stop here. It’s too bad....ever since the expansion it has been this way.....overpriced poor quality food, terrible service. The previous café was small, but at least you could get coffee and breakfast in under an hour.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Vermont
“Very slow and inattentive”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Waited 20 minutes just to order coffee and juice, finally placed our order and 45 minutes later the waiter came out to say they ran out of what we'd ordered. When breakfast finally came, they had not brought any utensils, condiments, butter or syrup. Had to ask for everything. Food is overpriced and crappy. Food was thrown on the plate with no garnishment at all and looked very unappealing. The place was packed but there is nothing else in this area. They should be prepared for a rush at the height of foliage season but were not. Very disappointing. Could be great but just isn't. Keep on driving down the road.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere