“Beautiful inn with a great atmosphere and location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Elope to Vermont
Ranked #2 of 2 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful inn with a great atmosphere and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My fiance and I stayed in the English room over a long weekend in January. The inn is beautifully restored and was the perfect spot for a winter weekend escape. The breakfast was delicious, especially the muffins (the innkeeper was kind of enough to pack up extras for our long drive home). We found the inn's library to be the perfect spot to sip wine and relax after two days of skiing at both Stowe and Smugglers Notch. We look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

I was at the Governor's House for a second Jane Austen Weekend this fall - a promised journey into the early 19th century, complete with lectures, tea, carriage rides, dinner, puzzles, Austen chat, quill pen writing, fashions, and quizzes. The Innkeeper was very knowledgeable about Austen and her world and brought it much to life, and encouraged our discussion - the food was delicious [wonderful breakfasts, tea, dinner and brunch], the rooms cozy and well-appointed with period-like furnishings, a small store with a good number of fun Austen-related items, and a full video library of all things Austen as well as Dickens, Trollope, Gaskell, etc... - a veritable BBC enclave - and each room has its own TV for private or shared viewing.

The Inn is a large Georgian home, not far from Stowe Vermont, a town filled with all manner of goodies - the fall season certainly adding to the ambience. I have found on other such literary weekends in other inns that the weekend works best when there is an eager and interesting group of people participating - and if they "gel" or not is not the Innkeeper's fault, but depends on this confluence of a variety of people largely known to each other. Austen is certainly a topic that brings out the best in everyone, and hours of chat are endless, one weekend far too short - so far I have been to two of these Austen weekends and each has been so different! - and each filled with great memories to treasure, new Austen friends made.

I shall eagerly go back for yet another - it is a lovely place and a it doesn't get much better than being here to retreat for a weekend or two into the late 18th and early 19th century!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Southwest Harbor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

An old friend and I go antiquing every year and this year we found ourselves in northern Vermont. We spent a couple of days at Govenor's House, a wonderful old Inn nestled in the center of the village of Hyde park, just outside of Stowe. This beautiful old home was elegant and comfortable. The archetecture is amazing and well restored and maintained. The Innkeeper was warm and welcoming, and was very helpful with everything from restaurants to antique stores. The food was delicious and creative (baked apple pancakes, Monte Cristo style french toast, fresh fruit...). The rooms were spacious,comfortable and very well appointed. I can highly recommend this Inn for anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I went for a Jane Austen weekend in August of this year and I was really excited pretty much up until I met the innkeeper. The room was small and the bed was hard plus there was a shared bathroom but I figured it would be ok. As I went to leave the next day to go visit friends in Stowe after breakfast the innkeeper repeatedly asked if I was interested in the horse ride (I wasn't) and where I was going. I really didn't feel like I needed to tell her where I was going. I also was pulled to the side and scolded for using my cellphone on the patio. It turns out you are only allowed to use your cellphone in your room.Every time I came into or left the house she would hover and ask where I was going. In addition, after I came out of my room she must have been listening to my conversation because she mention several things I had been speaking privately to my husband about...it was creepy. I decided to leave early and she asked me what time I was leaving "If I even really had to leave". Her attitude definitely ruined it for my enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

My and husband and I came to The Governor's House with about 25 friends and family for our wedding. Suzanne is an excellent hostess and she took care of the whole event. We did not have to worry about a thing. The food was amazing, the rooms are gorgeous and everything is maintained to a super high standard. It is such a romantic place, the house is stunning and it is the perfect location for a wedding. After the event all of our friends and family said how beautiful the wedding was. I cannot express my gratitude to Suzanne for giving us such an amazing day!!!! If you're looking for a wedding package on a budget, The Governor's House is the place for you!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hyde Park, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

My daughter planned her wedding and reception here at the Governor's House. Everything was perfect! This beautiful historic building was the perfect site for a small family and friends wedding. The dinner, prepared and served by our host Suzanne Boden, was delicious and elegant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

I will try to keep this short and sweet. The inn itself is marvelous. What ruined our experience was the inn keeper. Instead of making us feel relaxed and at ease, she made us feel tense. She monitored everything we did. She would not allow us to open the windows ourselves. She would come into the rooms and turn off the ceiling fans if they were left on. She would close our windows. Move our bags - IN OUR OWN ROOM. Talk about controlling! It was unbearable. We are seasoned travellers and don't complain often but in this case we have to say something.

We would never return. It is quite unfortunate because the inn is spectacular, the food was great and well, Vermont is just beautiful. But if you are looking for relaxation and a feeling of peace, don't go there because she will stress you out and make you feel uncomfortable. She treats the inn like a sanctuary. Why does she rent rooms, then?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Governor's House in Hyde Park? Share your experiences!