“A work in progress” 3 of 5 stars

802-482-5500
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hinesburgh Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Hinesburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mechanicsville Rd & Rt 116
Transit: http://hinesburg.org/hinesburg_rides.html http://www.cctaride.org/pdf/Current%20Web%20Schedules/February%202013%20schedules/46.pdf
Monkton, Vermont
“A work in progress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Gosh, I really wanted to like The Public House, but I left a little disappointed. They had only been open a short time and I understand there are a few bugs to work out.
The presentation of the dishes could be improved. The portions are not large, but certainly adequate. I was surprised that they ran out of chicken pot pie, one of their feature items, by 6:45pm.
I will go back again because I want them to succeed, and I hope the wrinkles have been worked out.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I can't say enough about how great our experience was. We made a reservation for 10 and got seated in their private dining room. What a great room! Large round table with ample seating for our group. The room was cozy and warm on a snowy Vermont night and helped our family gathering to feel like we were at home. Our server was awesome, accommodating our group that included a toddler, two small children, a teenager and 6 adults. She was friendly and efficient and catered to the kids, even bringing their meals out with the appetizers.
The food is simple and delicious. The kids' menu is well thought out with a flat fee and several sections to choose from. I really hope this restaurant makes it, what a great addition to the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Williston, VT
“It's okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

It's the new place in town. The design of the restaurant is pretty cool. People with intelligence put it together. Large, large windows allow for a sunny eating environment. Don't know what they will do in the summer when people are baking from the sun, but we don't worry about that too much in Vermont. We were sat near the bar after parking = plenty of parking. The bar is obviously going to be a big attraction. The cost wasn't great: we had a cup of chili, four sodas, shared a fish and chips, and a hamburger for $43 (with tip). I expected more like 30-35. Wife and daughter went to bathroom and said it was freezing - "hole in ceiling." Must have had frozen pipes or something. Overall, it's okay. It's a MUCH better environment than Papa Nick's, Good Times, or Paisley (Paisley's is the worse of the four), but the quality of food and warmth of the staff is better in those places (so far). Don't know how Hinesburg is going to support this many, but if the food improves, this could be the place to go.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
“Nice New Spot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I stopped here 1/14/2013 around 5:30pm. Our first time at this place since they opened we guess a few weeks back. Didn't know they were open. The buidling was nicely done, especially the entrance. Very casual comfortable entrance way. We were greated promptly by a very polite girl. The seating area very open but nice. Rather fancy chairs and table considering a painted cement floor. They could have done better with wood, but still okay. We felt immediately like this was a bit "crunchy" though I hate to use that word. Guess the atmosphere just seemed a bit stuffy. We intended to just have a drink and a couple apps. They had a few microbrews on tap, so at least I found something I liked. We ordered mussels and a pretzel that were both on the app portion of the menu. Their entree options didnt really excite us so glad we were not too hungry. The pretzels were fairly average in size but not at all what we expected. They were more like a twisted bread and tasted excellent but we were expecting a pretzel type taste. Still good though. The mussels were divine...Excellent flavor. Our waitress wasn't overly social. All business and we had to have her go get us the grilled bread that should have come with our mussels. All in all, we enjoyed the taste, but still not real comfortable with the atmosphere, just not what we are used to in other area places. Not sure we would go out of our way to go there, but the location and only thing like this for 10 miles is good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hinesburg
“It's about time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Finally, a nice place in our small town. I've eaten here several times and never been disappointed. this place really is a 'public house', the tv at the bar is only on for events and then the sound is off. This fosters a spirit of conversation among the patrons you just don't find anymore. The decore is spares but warm and open. The food is mostly local. I've had the pork chop which was excellent: the fish and chips was delightful, non battered baked haddock, light and clean. My favorite has been the local beef born and raise just down the road here in town! Amazing. The short rib was some of the best meat I've ever eaten and the burger is outstanding and a great value; all grass fed too. The place is just what this town needed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food