“Cozy Vermont Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Grafton
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Grafton Inn is famous for its imaginative cuisine, thoughtfully prepared with fresh locally sourced food and exploding with flavor. Our knowledgeable service staff, led by Chef Martin Schuelke, is eager to explain ingredients and methods, and to help you explore our Farm to Table cuisine with us.We are open seven days a week from 6 – 9 p.m. A children's menu is offered. Reservations recommended.
Pittsfield,MA
“Cozy Vermont Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Friendly wait service. Old beams and wide floor boards for authentic historic feel. Sit by the fireplace before and after dinner.

Visited November 2013

Woonsocket, Rhode Island
“Phony 'local food' image, too quiet, decent food, kind servers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Hubby and I had breakfast here twice, as it was included in our room rate. To me, the breakfast that the Old Tavern at Grafton has to offer was the saving grace of our stay at the Inn (which was just "okay" for us)... but it still was not incredible. Good, but just good.

It is very pretty. Warm atmosphere. It gives off a higher-class vibe. For someone with facial tattooing, big lobes and an even bigger laugh... it made me feel a little strange at times. Sort of out of place, I suppose. I feel like the volume was considerably quiet and I am someone who loves to converse and laugh, but even at a normal level, it sort of felt like I was doing something wrong because it was just THAT quiet.

Our sever was an absolute darling; she was our server both days (thank you, JoAnn!!) To start, she brought out some hot scones. One day, I believe they were something like cranberry-raisin and the next, blueberry. Hot and delicious; even just the scone could have satisfied my appetite at breakfast. We ordered proper breakfast as well.

On day one, hubby got the french toast and bacon and I had plain buttermilk pancakes with a sausage link. It was satisfying and tasty, but I feel as though most people would find it to be a small portion for some reason. On day two, I had blueberry pancakes and hubby got a couple of scrambled eggs, home-fries & rye toast. Again, good. They also served coffee which was actually great coffee (from Mocha Joe's) which made me happy. Good coffee is a huge plus in my book. They also offered juice; I had grapefruit, hubby had V8 and there were a few other selections too.

Overall it was tasty, but clearly, it is the atmosphere that most people are going to value and pay for. One thing that I found really comical: after breakfast, we went back to our guest house to grab something, then we were heading out for the day. This place is really quiet (Grafton), so we were a bit taken aback when we heard a massive truck coming down the street. ...A SYSCO truck. I said to my husband, "They CAN'T be coming here..." but sure enough they backed in. Hubby and I are very much into our own local food scene (weekly farmer's markets, CSA shares, etc) and the Inn and the Old Tavern restaurant here attempt to be all about local this and local that... the tavern gave off a vibe that you were eating eggs from down the street and that someone there used a grain mill to make your pancakes. ...But a quiet place with many neighboring farms that touts the beauty of utilizing local things sort of had its image smashed when a big, industrial SYSCO truck was delivering what I'm sure is mass produced swill there.

Still, it was a fun experience. Average breakfast fare with great service. I'm still glad I got to go, but would not go out of my way to stay at the Inn or dine at the Old Tavern again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“The Old Tavern isn't anymore what it once was”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We spent just one night at the Grafton Inn. I had visited the inn several times years ago and had nice memories. In fact, nothing had really changed - but the people. We had booked a suite with a king bed. And we had a conformation. But when I arrived with my wife and my son at 1:30pm, the elderly woman at the front desk told us o wait at least two hours because our room wasn't ready. When we came back, she told us that we could get an ordinary room with a queen bed. When I insisted to get the room I booked and I had a conformation for, she was cool and indifferent saying: "Well, I don't know who confirmed it. What can I do?" I said that Dorothy confirmed our reservation, and that if she couldn't give us the room we booked we wouldn't stay. Then we got room number 5 which was directly above the restaurant and very, very noisy. The Grafton Inn is very old and the walls are thinner than paper ... We could even understand the conversation in the restaurant. When we had dinner the host was as cool and indifferent as the woman at the front desk. As we were the first guests at the restaurant she tried to give us the worst table (as usual). When we refused this woman really gave the impression as if she was personally offended. It was very, very unpleasant for us.
The dinner itself was very good, the service even too fast. The innkeeper walked from table to table and had some kind words for his guests. That was nice.
Apart from the noise (bring ear plugs!) the suite number 5 was clean and cozy. The breakfast the other day was not more than average and small. All in all it was a disappointing stay. Above all because of the staff which was, well, unfriendly.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Excellent Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner there with exceptional service. Well worth it! A place not to overlook. Beautiful setting. Very romantic.

Visited July 2013
Sutton
“I love fine dining and this was as fine as it gets! Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Beautiful dining room with antiques and a small intimate feeling with wait staff that are very friendly and accommodating

Visited March 2013