“Awesome place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Saugus, Massachusetts
“Awesome place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was my 3rd year in a row going to the winter carnival. Lots to do for the kids and the adults. We rented a Terrace room for the first time . Very large with a great view of the lake! This is an old hotel with a lot of charm.I have seen a few reviews were people whined about petty things go stay in a big chain hotel. I go away to relax and thats what you get at Lake Morey Resort! Wireless worked great also. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Jr suite has a cool living room but no view. Terrace rooms are huge with awesome views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks for taking part in winter carnival once again. I must say the winter weather cooperated this year providing for ideal skate and ski conditions throughout the season. This hotel is held together by more than just screws, nails, and wood. The charm is a result of decades of caring family ownership. When these walls talk, and sometimes they do, its stories are priceless.

Hope to see you again,

Mark Avery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We've visited this inn 2 times in 2 months this winter. First with my husband to skate on the groomed 4.5 mile lake behind the inn and relax. The place closes down early when nothing is going on (front desk, door and lobby closed, locked, lights out when we returned at 10:30pm). The next time we brought our kids for winter carnival and we all had nice time skating, movies in their movie theater, family games, swimming etc. There is little to do (seemingly nothing) in the immediate area which is typically what we look for but I wanted to try nordic skating and found the clean quiet inn to be a bonus...also free skate rentals for guests.

• Stayed January 2013
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We're glad you took the opportunity to try our nordic skate trail, and enjoyed our offerings during school vacation week. Lets put it this way, last Sunday I boiled sap into maple syrup- a six hour endeavor that consists of watching water evaporate (kind of like watching paint dry). So seemingly not much to do in this area?

Enjoy

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had a meeting in the area and had spent a night there a few years ago. I booked the hotel several weeks in advance but received an email that the restaurant would not be open unless I was part of the conference; I didn't think much of it. The night I arrived there were many people there for a farm conference. However, it ended the next day and when I returned that evening, mine was one of only 3 cars in the lot, and the front door was locked with lobby lights out. No more guests on my third and final night, a Friday. As a solo female traveler I felt very uneasy and did not sleep well. I wish they had informed me what their hotel is like in the off season and given me the option of staying in an almost empty resort. At least they still had coffee available in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Certainly at times it is quiet here at the hotel, particularly during the 'in-between' seasons of November, December, and April. I apologize you felt uneasy, though we do have staff who occupy the hotel throughout these quieter times to ensure everyones safety.

Happy Holidays,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed overnight recently and found the hotel desk staff helpful and pleasant, we were upgraded to a lakefront room, great view, room was large and updated, same with the bathroom, morning buffet was good, typical of most buffets and the meal voucher paid for the breakfast. We were expecting from past reviews to find a tired building-it was but the grounds were well kept, hallways could use updating, especially the carpets. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and the surrounding area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thanks for your input. All hallway carpets are being replaced this winter during the off-season. It will be an extensive project, but easier just to finish the task all at once rather than over a couple seasons.
Glad you enjoyed your stay, hope to see you in the future.

Albany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I took a chance for our fall college break and bought two nights through travelzoo. When looking over the web site I noticed the no denim and appropriate dress restrictions and packed accordingly. Our room (328) has a spectacular view and we truly enjoyed that. Wi-fi was intermittent unless in the lobby. The resort itself has a nice ambiance and we enjoyed spreading out in one of the lobby level rooms and reading our Sunday NY Times. Golf was great and we, too, took advantage of the over 55 prices at the golf course. All in all we had a great stay from an accommodation perspective.
The food was the rub. The prix fixe was quite limited. The appetizer and salad were fine, although my smoked salmon was minuscule. Neither of us found much that we liked among the 3 or 4 entrees and did not enjoy them at all. The cheesecake for dessert was reminiscent of Sara Lee. The service was mediocre. Breakfast was a buffet that was overpriced for dried scrambled eggs, thawed pastries and tasteless sausage and bacon. So, IMO, their food model did not work for me at all. Had much better meals when we went to the Fairlee Diner ans Jesse;s in Hanover.
Would I go there again? Yes, of course which was why I gave it 3 stars. I would just not eat there. And, btw, despite the numerous exhortations about no denim in the dining room I counted 6 customer wearing the offending garment - dress code indeed.

Room Tip: Third floor overlooking lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I will speak to the Chef regarding the food. Our dress code was put in place 10 years ago. We have found in this time of informality that our requirements are becoming increasingly difficult to enforce. This Winter season we plan to update this item with the attempt to accommodate all. To interject my personal opinion, I would welcome the day when our society returns to an era where a special occasion may warrant a special fabric, when we can cut the tether to our electronics without the fear of the end of days.

Enjoy,

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We just returned from an overnight visit at Lake Morey Inn. I will say, when we drove up, I was a little disappointed by the appearance. When I saw "resort", I was anticipating a more luxurious building. It looked more like a "motel". But other than the initial impression, we were very pleased. Our room was right on the lake, and it had a HUGE window so you could enjoy the view. I would highly recommend asking for a room with the view. In the fall, the colored leaves reflect on the lake and the mist from the lake in the early morning is breathtaking. We did enjoy a great meal there. It is a "set menu" with a choice of 3 appetizers, 2 salads and a 4-5 entries. We both ordered the filet and we were pleasantly surprised. Everything was great. The next day we played golf across the road. Great course, beautiful VT. They had a "senior" (55+) mid-week special $28 for 18 holes with a cart. For once I was happy to be 55! The fall was a beautiful time to go although based on the location, I can only imagine how great the summer would be too!

Room Tip: Views of the lake are spectacular!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
MassMoma,

Glad you had a great getaway.

Bangor, Maine, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed there with my wife because she had a meeting for 3 days.Although the stay was fine i found out while dinner was provided for my wife, I tried to get something to eat at the bar because there is not too much to choose from in town, Well i was told by the friendly bartender that they do not serve any food at the bar and if i wanted something that i would have to go change my clothes because i had a tee-shirt on and needed a collared shirt. While he told me that he was eating dinner at the bar,which made wonder if he could get something why couldn't I?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Scott,

It makes me wonder as well.

Ughhhh.

(This will be addressed)

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!