“The best moderately priced accommodations in Vermont.” 5 of 5 stars

Handy Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   27 Susie Wilson Road, Essex, VT 05452   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Essex
Shefford, Canada
“The best moderately priced accommodations in Vermont.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about these suites. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I have read some of the comments about the breakfast. As far as we were concerned it was certainly sufficient with OJ Coffee regular toast or English Muffins, Doughnuts and Fruit. Indeed at that price and considering the fully equipped kitchen I was surprised that they served Breakfast at all. Will certainly return there when I am in the area.

Room Tip: We had the suite 106 on the Ground floor which was near the pool and also the Breakfast room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Handy Suites, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you so very much for your enthusiastic response! We are so proud of our hotel and work hard to make it a place to visit again and again. We look forward to seeing you soon.

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have stayed here several times when going to the Champlain Valley Fairgrounds - the hotel is very close and makes for an easy commute. The suites are wonderful - like a small apartment. Since the continental breakfast only has bread, donuts, coffee and juice, it was great to be able to make our own breakfast in the suite's kitchen. There is a small market just down the street for supplies! Christina, the manager is very helpful. Our only complaint is that some of the furnishings are somewhat worn and a few things could use a handyman (windows latches and dresser drawer broken). Also, the hallways are quite hot - not air conditioned, I guess!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for telling us about your stay! We are currently updating our furnishings, so the next time you visit you will see all new! The hallways do tend to be hot because the hot water pipes that bring every room instantaneous hot water run through the floor/ceiling. However, each room has independent thermostats for heat and wall mounted air conditioners, so once you enter your Suite, you are in control. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had never heard of the Handy suites before and were a little apprehensive. Christina, the manager managed our reservations wonderfully. She gave advise about the Champlain fair that was going on. The suite was much more than we needed, but we sure appreciated the roominess and cleanliness of the place. Breakfast was continental, only rolls and coffee, which isn't my favorite, but not bad. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We are always grateful for such kind input. Yes, the breakfast is simple, but that is because each suite has a full kitchen where you can prepare anything! We try to get your day going with the Continental Breakfast: Fruit & juice, English muffins & bread for toasting, coffee & tea. On the weekends we also add coffee cakes & mini muffins. We hope that you will visit again.
Attleboro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have used this hotel for several years now. When I do the Vermont Fair/Expo it's my home away from home. The rooms are little suites will a bedroom off to the side. Kitchen - dining area are small but work well. The living room has a couch converts to a pull out queen bed. It's the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on. We travel with several people and this year I had the pull out bed. I had to put a blowup mattress on the thing so I could sleep.
Breakfast is coffee and donuts, sometimes you may find a banana. It's ok but, if you have time to cook in your room your better off.
The pool is great and it has a slide. Room is always clean and they never short you on towels. The staff is great and the manager (Christina) is around alot. I think the only down side to this hotel is the musty smell in the halls. I will always come back to this one.

Room Tip: You should take 4th floor to have a quieter room. Other floors 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, you will hear eve...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Great to hear your thoughts, thank you. We are currently updating our furniture. Although sofabeds are notorious for their discomfort (we all remember sleeping at Grandma's!), we will be happy to provide you with an additional blanket or matting to make you more comfortable. As to the smell in the hall, the suites all have FULL kitchens, and we are fortunate to have people of many ethnic origins who cook in their suites. Occasionally the odors will linger, and we do our very best to keep those odors from lingering. I do so hope you keep your word and keep "coming back to this one"!
upstate New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at Handy Suites in July 2013. I am in my mid-50’s and traveled with 3 grandchildren. Our trip was a 2 night stay to visit my son. The suite style rooms met our needs perfectly. One bedroom with a separate kitchen/dining/living area. The kitchen had few supplies but the staff quickly supplied anything we needed. Bedroom size was generous with a TV and a comfortable bed. The couch, which appeared to be fairly new, converted into a bed. The pull out bed was horribly uncomfortable.
Continental breakfast was sparse but again met our needs.
We enjoyed the pool! And the pool side was a bonus with the grandkids.
The front desk staff went out of their way to accommodate any request. I would defiantly return. Only complaint would be the pull out bed.

Room Tip: I asked for a newer pull out bed but it did not seem to score me a better one
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Well, thanks for your kind review. The pool slide IS a blast for the kids (adults too!). Sofabeds are self -admittedly sofabeds. I wish they could invent comfortable ones. However, we have just put in new furniture, so I hope you will give us a chance to show you that we are always improving. And thank you for mentioning that the front desk staff will bring you absolutely anything you need for your room. We hope to see you again!
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here to attend the Champlain Fair on Labour Day weekend. I liked the affordable rate for a busy weekend. I liked having breakfast in our own kitchen area. It beats the free breakfasts at hotels where you have to jockey for a place to sit down and is full of very young kids. The hallway was overheated and did have a weird smell, but the room was fine. The bathroom was not fancy but had been redone and the exhaust worked well, which is rare even for more expensive hotels I've stayed in recently. The bed was not a pillow-top, but clean. The bedroom was in its own room. I enjoyed the amount of space we got. My daughter liked the slide at the indoor pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your staying with us and your comments. We have recently begun installing the new furnishings, and albeit that sofabeds have a reputation for uncomfortable, the new ones are better! We are also looking forward to King sized beds soon! Bring the family back, we hope to see you soon.
Ridgewood, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I originally gave this place 4 stars on another website but I'm downgrading it to 3 hear. While the suite a great size for families, the pull out bed was incredibly uncomfortable. My kids can normally sleep on anything but this was terrible for them They ended up sleeping with my wife and I slept on the sofa. It was more comfortable closed than open.

The place is dated but we pretty used the place just to sleep and shower. We didn't stay there to hang out. The hallway does have a musty smell but the rooms don't. They seemed clean and there were no unwanted critters roaming around. Handy Suites is in a decent area. Go to the bagel shop across the street since the breakfast at Handy Suites is lacking.

The highlight for the kids was the pool. There's a great slide that the kids just loved (me too).

Also, there's a small laundry facility in the building which came in handy at Handy Suites.

The place wasn't horrible. In fact, if we go back to the same area in Vermont we may stay here again. It's not luxury but it's good for a short stay, just don't sleep on the pull out bed.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Handy Suites, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are in the process of updating all of our furniture and carpeting, as we are about to celebrate our 10th anniversary in July! The hallways do tend to have a cooking odor as all of our suites are equipped with full kitchens. People take advantage of that to save money from eating out, so sometimes you can smell bacon & eggs or dinner. Our new sofabeds are more comfortable, but they still are sofabeds. I think everyone agrees, they aren't as comfortable as a "real" bed. Pool slide is the BEST! I'm glad even you had a chance to try it out. We do so hope that you will visit again.

Been to Handy Suites? Share your experiences!