“Awful breakfast” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Amuse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 54 restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Amuse offers sophisticated dining in a casual restaurant atmosphere. Our menu draws inspiration from the finest local, seasonal ingredients, provided by the region's finest purveyors and harvested from our own organic gardens. We take great care in preparing your selection, to highlight the textures and flavors inherent to each element. Reservations are suggested.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awful breakfast”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

There were very few choices, almost nothing without cheese or bacon. I had to ask for plain scrambled eggs, which were so heavily infused with salt, I had to turn those back as well.

Visited August 2013
EssexResort-VT, Manager at Amuse, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Ellen Z,

It is unfortunate that the gift of a stay you received at the Essex Resort & Spa did not meet your expectations and I apologize that our variety of culinary offerings did not satisfy your standards. Our Chefs represent a wide range of experiences, influences and personal flair. However, our menu draws inspiration from the finest local, seasonal ingredients, provided by the region’s most respected purveyors and harvested from our very own organic gardens. Our Chefs build each dish from scratch, taking great care to highlight the tex¬tures and flavors inherent to each ingredient.

We love when the food prepared by our culinary artisans is appreciated but we also need to hear when an individual guests has an experience that is far from the norm such as yours. This will be used as an opportunity to ensure our hosts, servers and all members of the food and beverage team understand the importance of providing a full description of the numerous organic, vegetarian, light and healthy options offered as well as our ability to craft dishes with respect to allergies and personal preferences. An entire gluten free menu is also offered.

Your comments regarding the Spa have been shared with our Spa Director, Karen Smegal, she was delighted to hear of your satisfaction with the staff, cleanliness and amenities. Again, it is unfortunate that we did not make you aware of the large indoor pool housed in the Spa. I am certain you would have enjoyed it.

Thank you again for your reviews and I do hope you may consider a return visit so we may another opportunity to provide you with the superior levels of service we are known for.

Nazba Jenulevich
Director of Human Resources
Essex Resort & Spa

71% Recommend
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
“Breakfast Buffet Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Breakfast Buffet amazing for the price. Delicious Delicious.... Servers wonderful, food made to order price is fabulous... Food allergies not a problem..

Visited August 2013
MA
“Wasn't Worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We ate at Amuse during our stay at the Essex. We waited a couple of minutes to be seated, which was fine. I was surprised that there were very few tables occupied in the dining room once we got there. We waited quite a while to even order drinks and get water. Our waiter was pleasant but did seem a little frazzled and maybe even nervous. The food was OK - my meal of short rib ragu over gnocchis was a little under seasoned. My husband's steak was a bit overcooked. The best part of the meal was the dessert we ordered, which was a pear tart with Maker's Mark ice cream. We just didn't feel the food was worth the price of the entire meal - over $130. Our dinner at The Tavern, also located at the Essex, was much better. If we stay at the Essex again, we'll skip Amuse.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
JGVT, Manager at Amuse, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Ddupont 1

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. I am happy to hear that you dined with us during your stay and that you enjoyed The Tavern. I am disappointed to hear about your Amuse experience. It seemed that we fell short in providing timely service and well prepared dishes as we are so accustomed to. I apologize and hope that when you return to The Essex that you get in touch with me personally so I may ensure that you have an enjoyable experience. I encourage you to try Amuse again. I am sure that we can show you that we provide timely service and exceptional culinary offerings if given a second chance. We are in the process of putting out a new dinner menu and we have a mouthwatering new dessert menu starting at the end of the month.
Please know that I have taken your comments to my serving staff and the Executive Chef. We offer continuous training to our staff and your comments will help ensure that our future guests have an enjoyable experience. Again, I apologize and thank you for your review. Hope you visit again.

Best Regards
Mary Ingrisano
Restaurant General Manager
maryi@vtculinaryresort.com
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food in an impressive inn setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The Amuse restaurant is part of The Inn at Essex complex of hotel, spa, tennis and golf. The meal started appropriately with an "amuse bouche" of chopped apples, a mousse of apple and cider, and a shot of apple flavoured vodka. We then, for our entree had Faroe Island Salmon, with fennel purée , and a pork tenderloin with asparagus and crispy cauliflower. Both dishes were imaginatively plated and the flavour was superb.
There was not enough room for dessert, so we left feeling very satisfied, having enjoyed an excellent dinner

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Ok not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We went for a couple of breakfasts (weekend) in April. Fun, food adequate, staff nice, experience ok. Coffee came cold and was quickly replaced on request. Whip cream on waffles--ugh! -- but it may have been listed on the menu and I missed it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to Amuse? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Amuse, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.