“Great mid-week break” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Great mid-week break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed here from Tuesday, April 1 to Thursday, April 3 on a midweek break. I recommend calling the hotel prior to booking online because I was able to get a much better deal through the hotel directly. I stayed in room 211 which is a deluxe room with the big whirlpool bath and an electric fireplace. The room was perfect, the bed was comfortable. My only suggestion, which I have already made to the front desk was that a charging station for travelers with several devices. I was told that these are being installed in all of the rooms and a note was made to do this in room 211. I booked two special activities during my stay – a knife skills course with the culinary Institute and a facial at the spa. Both were excellent. What I particularly appreciated about the facial was the knowledgeable aesthetician and also the fact that no attempt was made to sell me a new skincare line. After the facial I sat in the upstairs sunroom for several hours reading and relaxing. The food was fantastic. Among the dishes that I enjoyed were the eggs Benedict, the chili, the potted salmon, the smoked gouda soup and the winter salad. I might also add that I was alone on this trip which made no difference whatsoever in the excellent level of service that I received at this hotel. I recommend it highly for a break whenever it suits you. I'm certainly planning to return!

PS I have one small suggestion which is that the number of signs in nearby which indicate where the hotel is located could be made a little larger and more numerous. I took a wrong turn and a few well placed signs would have really helped.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear MinMontreal,

Thank you so very much for choosing the Essex Resort & Spa for your well deserved mid-week break. We have recently installed multi-port connection cubes in every guest room. Each one provides easy access to power and USB slots. They have been a huge hit with our guests and in fact they are so popular that some of our guests may have forgotten they should remain in the room upon their departure. Prior to your arrival we certainly should have made note of this and replaced it so you could take advantage of this great feature. Our maintenance associates have been made aware and will replace it. Thank you for your praise of Kristen at the Front Desk for providing directions and helping you navigate to the Resort. Your frustrations with our signage are understood. Unfortunately, the signs we have are in keeping with local ordinances and restrictions. We are not permitted to have larger or additional signs.

Director of Resort Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I recently stayed at the Essex and had a wonderful time. I used a Groupon and was well worth the value. The deal included a two night stay with a buy 1 get one free for the on site cooking classes and 25 dollar credit to the spa. We checked in and the room was great, very clean and comfortable. One thing that did bother me slightly was that one of the two onsite restuarants (Amuse) was closed for renovations. I understand places do renovations but I feel like I should have been told about that when I booked my stay.

The first night we had dinner in Tavern and it was delicious. The food and service we excellent. The second day we took advantage of the on site cooking class. We attended a Brunch course where we cooked a variety of delicious brunch items. (eggs benedict, crem brule battered fronch toast, ect. ) The class was a lot of fun and really delicious. The instructor was great and I would definately do another class in the future.

The main problem with my stay which is why I gave 3 stars apposed to 4 was the spa. The pool and Spa itself were beautiful but my girlfriend was scammed when she booked and paid for the pedicure she recieved. When we booked the appointment I informed them that I had the groupon with the 25 dollar credit and they told me "great" and they would apply it to her total. They had me put my name on the reservation so that they would rememeber to include it and that she wouldnt have to to worry. After the pedicure was over they told her that the credit does not apply to that type of treatment and charged her the full prices of 65 bucks. they were rude about it and told me i should have read the fine print on the groupon. I would not have a problem if they would have told me this in the first place and not led me on. We left a spa more stressed then we entered.

Enough with my complaining, overall I had a great weekend. The rest of the service was great and the area was really fun. Went to a sugarhouse, winery, chocolate factory, Magic Hat brewery and some pretty good resturants. So I do recommend booking a stay at The Essex, but just get a price quote in writing before book anything at the spa.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear James R,

I am pleased to hear you had a great stay overall. Our signature restaurant is under construction and should be ready for it's grand re-opening and concept reveal in early June. So much does come into play when planning a large project such as this and when you booked your reservation we had not put the project into action. Once the design, permits, contractors and materials were set, we decided to get to work. At that point we did call every guest that had booked a reservation during the construction time and made other arrangements with them.
Please accept my apologies for the confusion you experienced with the use of your coupon. The Spa associates are seasoned professionals all with high integrity. Additionally, the Resort as a whole could not remain in business long if we decided to scam our guests. Our Spa Director, Karen Smegal will certainly review with them the sequence of events that led to this unfortunate conclusion on your part in an effort to best position the Receptionists to fully prepare our guests for what to expect from the coupons they are redeeming.
Hopefully you may consider a return visit with us sometime in the future as I am certain we can restore your confidence in our associates, ethics, service and attention to detail.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed here one night for work. Reception was warm and accommodating, though elevator was scuffed and looked a tad tired. My room door had a large scuff on it too, and the hallways seemed tired as well. The room however was clean and very nice, and very quiet. Free Wifi was a major plus (a pet peeve of mine). The breakfast was surprisingly good (the eggs were outstanding, and the chickens out back are why). Charging for the airport shuttle was a bit annoying, as without a car you're trapped. There's a shopping center/outlet center a short walk/drive away, but a car is an absolute necessity. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Michel93,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. Your comments regarding the scuffs you noticed have been shared with our Facilities Director, Matt Whitman, he has a team member dedicated solely to this issue. Mr. Wilson attends to various parts of the property touching up the daily wear and tear the property receives. We do charge a fee for our shuttle. However, it has been priced in parity and or below the cost of a taxi....and ours is a Mercedes!
Thank you again for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa and especially for enjoying all it has to offer.

Hope to see you again soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed for three nights. The staff were friendly and could not do enough for us. The three dinners in the Tavern were superb. The presentation and plating were creative and the taste was wonderful. The wait staff were informative, professional and "foodies" themselves. They explained the dishes and the nuances of each dish. On Sunday brunch, we casually asked our server for a danish and he brought out gratis a plate of danish! Wow! The wine list was creative and yet priced nicely. Our room was nicely appointed, clean and fully equipped. When we asked for water and ice it appeared in 5 minutes. People there appeared to be enjoying their work. I highly recommend The Essex.

Dear Richard F,

Thank you so very much for recognizing the efforts of our associates. They are true hospitality professionals who do enjoy what they do and your praise will mean quite a lot to them. Thank you for your support.

Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

A perfect vacation. Room was clean and well appointed. Bed was super comfortable. Loved the in-room jacuzzi. Fantastic cooking class. Hotel was beautiful in the snow. The food was fantastic- we had brunch at Amuse and dinner at the Tavern. Stayed for two nights with a Groupon. Too cold for the outdoor hot tub but maybe next time!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear PVDtraveler,

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I agree, the property is beautiful when covered in snow. It has been a long winter and spring is upon us. The grounds will come alive again and our green spaces will once again invite a casual stroll, hike or nap in one of our hammocks. The outdoor hot is available year round but soon our heated out door pool will open.

Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

A close friend and I recently completed a two day getaway to the Essex.The front desk staff was gracious, welcoming, and well informed. Our room was pleasant and clean. We spent one day at the Spa, which was well appointed with a calm and restorative atmosphere. We had dinner at their premier restaurant the first night and had the place to ourselves. We had the chefs menu and found one course to be excellent, the others were good, but not outstanding.We took a class from the Culinary Institute the next evening and really enjoyed it. I learned nothing new in terms of technique, but the recipes were delicious and the evening was enjoyable. We spent an afternoon in lovely downtown Burlington- just a short ten minute drive away. I would recommend this facility.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear anitabee,

Thank you for visiting and having a great time with us!

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We took a short vacation in Vermont and staid at The Essex. Very nice room and very nice and attentive personnel.

We also enjoyed breakfast and dinner at both of their restaurant and the food was good to very good.

This place must be very interesting in the summer with all the amenities available. (Indoor and outdoor Pool, Jacuzzi, tennis court...)

Room Tip: People need to know that some of the room does not offer windows that open, we did have a Mini Suite...