“Region 1 IAIP Conference - Climbing Mountains Reaching New Heights” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

You added The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Bedford, New Hampshire
“Region 1 IAIP Conference - Climbing Mountains Reaching New Heights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We couldn't have found a more perfect facility in Vermont to have our Conference. The rooms were great, I slept better than in my own bed at home in the very comfy bed! Meals were just right and every plate looked fantastic! A swim in the pool to start the day, a trip to the spa the day before the conference began, and even a few minutes in the hot tub before getting ready for our Gala Banquet made my stay so enjoyable and relaxing! Thank you Essex Resort & Spa!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Brenda B,

You are so very welcome....but I must thank you all for giving us the opportunity to host your event. We all had a great time with every attendee. So many of our associates have spoken to me and complimented YOU all.

Thank you again for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa. We hope to see you all again soon,

Director of Resort Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was a nice place to get away for a couple of days. It is located about 25 minutes from Burlington. Like pretty much everyone else here, I had a special deal (Groupon). I would visit again if I had the same Groupon deal. The room and bathroom was spacious. I loved the coffee, tea, and cookies that were offered in the lobby. I wish the lobby at a comfy space in front of the fireplace to read and relax. They also had a bonfire in the evening with smores. Loved that...just would suggest the place clear the path of snow and make it more lit. The menus in the two restaurants seemed similar for breakfast at least. The place was also very accommodating for dogs.

We took a cooking class - it was definitely fun and interactive and something different to do. The class included a sit down meal and a glass of wine. We were scheduled to go 3 hours and it went a little over 2 hours.

The spa facilities were top notch- a nice hot tub, steam room, showers, and sauna. Very relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: rooms are all different paint colors.
Dear bib28,

Thank you for staying with us and for having such a great time!

Wilton, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We found this hotel through Groupon and stayed for two nights. The front desk folks were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, as were the bellmen. My boyfriend was recovering from knee surgery and they were very accomodating and gave us a handicapped room next to the elevator. The room was very quiet even though we were right near the elevator.

We were a little early for check in, so they suggested that we have a late lunch at their restaurant, Amuse. We were there 45 minutes before they closed and when we arrived, there was no one to seat us. We (and another couple) waited and I finally went back to the front desk and they were able to find a server to seat us. Our meals were very good, we just felt rushed and could almost feel the "eye rolls" from the employees because we were there so late for lunch.

The Spa (though we didn't take full advantage) looked great - the pool and outdoor hot tub were very nice.

In retrospect, we should have taken a cooking class since that is what they are known for. Otherwise, (unless you are there to ski) there ain't a whole lot to do. They are next door to an outlet mall, but it is very small (though the Under Armour store was great). There is a movie theater there as well.

The drive to Burlington is quick and easy and there are a ton of restaurants and stores around UVM, so we found things to do there. We also did the requisit trip to Ben&Jerry's which is about a 20 minute drive.

The room itself was very clean with a king sized bed, comfy pillows, a small desk, a couple of chairs and a flat screen tv. It also had a small Kuerig with coffee and tea selections. The bathroom was very large (but I don't know if that's always the case since we had a handicapped room.) Also, I left my lap top charger in the room and when I called they had it and sent it out to me immediately.

Something that bugged me was the "nickle and diming" on our final bill. There was a 92 cent per day charge that was some Vermont hotel tax along with a use of spa charge per day which we didn't use and a couple of others that added up to an extra $50. I don't know why that a lot of that wasn't simply folded into the overall room charge - because that kind of thing really drives me nuts - especially when you think you're getting a deal.

Overall, I don't think that I would return to this hotel. I'm glad we went, but we've stayed at more interesting places in VT, upstate NY and CT.

Dear Julia H,

It is great to hear that our Front Desk Agents and Bellmen were able to provide you with the warm, professional and helpful service we are known for. It is unfortunate that you did not have time to attend one of our Cook Academy classes. These are certainly are most popular activities. However, I want to take a moment to share with you some of the many other exciting offerings for the next time you visit:
Vermont Tennis Vacations
Basketball court
Full service spa & salon
Over-sized Rainbow Direct playground
Hiking trails
Adventure course with zip lines, rock climbing, and more
Hot air ballooning
Bonfire with s’mores
Outdoor pool with waterfall (available in the warmer months)
Double-size outdoor hot tub (year round)

I have also shared your comments regarding the service you received from our Tavern staff with our Director of Culinary Services so she may use this as an opportunity to train the servers on how our actions may be perceived by guests and to ensure we are always putting our best face forward.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Each aspect of this weekend away was great! The King room was lovely and the bed was so comfortable. Service was so friendly, except the staff at the Amuse restaurant...we had dinner at Amuse which was very good, but the chicken was a little overcooked and my husband's sirloin was as well. Breakfast at Amuse was AMAZING and I would strongly encourage everyone to partake in this indulgent meal. The outdoor all-season hot tub was terrific and the pool was heated and hit the spot. I would recommend anyone looking for a quiet and romantic weekend away, to try the Essex!

Room Tip: Ensure that the heating system in the room is not too loud or you'll have a hard time sleeping...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear PrincessLeah74,

I am pleased to hear you had such a positive experience with us. It is wonderful to hear when our guests take advantage of all the many activities and dining options. I have shared your comments regarding dinner with Chef Shawn Calley. He will be sure to use this as a training opportunity with his team. Shawn is committed to ensuring each guest has a great meal and will be sure to use this as a way to improve.

Thank you for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa,

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Like pretty much everyone else here, had a special deal (Travelzoo). I would not recommend this place without a special deal - it's almost like it's priced to be discounted. The room was decent and clean, with a queen sized bed, flat screen tv, some chairs and green walls (all the rooms seem to have different colors - to be honest, I was thankful I got green - I'm not sure I'd like the red walls of my friends' room). We took a cooking class - it was definitely fun and interactive, but honestly not much of a "class" persay (the chef running it honestly did all the hard stuff, even pre-measuring the ingredients etc); I've taken cooking classes before in MA and we had to do everything, nuts to bolts and I learned a ton in the process. This was more like "okay now you sprinkle the salt on the chicken,and you stir this pot etc" - again, it was very fun, and I'm glad I did it, the food was tasty, but probably wouldn't bother again. The shared facilities were top notch- from the workout room (it only has 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, and 2 stairmasters and other equipment, so you have to hit it right, but the equipment it does have is all state of the art), a gorgeous indoor pool, and nice hot tub etc. The staff people here were great with very few exceptions (my waitress at Amuse totally screwed up my order, but other than that, everyone was super nice, attentive and professional). Also, seems to be a great place if you have a dog - (special doggie treats etc) All-in, a good experience, would recommend to do once, but not sure I'd return (hey, it's a big world with a lot to see!)

Room Tip: If you do book with a deal you are at their mercy with room type, however you can pay more to upgrad...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Boots123,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay overall. I will share your observations with the various managers and associates of each area. Housekeeping for your mention of the clean room with upgraded amenities (flat screen TV, Keurig coffee maker, IPod docking station, cordless phone, lavish bed linens and selection of both firm and soft pillows). The Chef Instructors will be pleased to hear you found the class to be fun and interactive as you prepared a meal guided by a talented culinary professional followed by great food, wine and conversation with new friends. The Spa is a world class facility but they still delight in hearing when a guest, such as yourself, found it to be "top notch and gorgeous". The Essex Resort & Spa is pet friendly and each family friend is offered treats and a custom water dish and toy to take with them. Finally, thank you for recognizing the many associates that provided you with "super nice, attentive and professional service."

Claremont, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

bought 2 nights lodging from Living Socials..upgraded from the standard room to a mini spa suite for an extra $60 per night....not worth it...whirlpool tub..no big deal...shower small.....the service people were Awesome and we had the special meal called "Chef's Table"...it was a 6 course meal made around the kitchen with 5 other couples.....excellent food...$80 per person....they offered a special with wine for 4 courses...each of us got about 2 oz. of wine....we were not advised of the cost (should have asked)..got a list of the wines and after getting the bill for the wine..$80......works out to $ 40 for each of us, or $10 per glass per person....I checked the cost of a bottle of each when I got back and the average was about $18 per bottle......the wine option for the "Chef's Table" dinner experience is obviously a BIG RIPOFF!!!
We didn't have an issue paying $80 per person for the meal, but if you do this, DO NOT take the wine option...buy your own...also Pelligrino water was offered with no mention of the $5.50 cost for the bottle.......would not go here again!!!

Dear TRD317,

I am happy to hear you found both the food and service to be great. Chef Shawn Calley, our Director of Culinary Operations and his team have done an amazing job sourcing local, high quality, fresh ingredients. He recently was awarded the Gold Barn Award for his commitment to his network of local farmers and purveyors. Chef Michael is the face and personality of the Chef's Table and loves when guests enjoy not only his food but the experience he provides.

Lining Social and similar on-line sites are an effective way for many businesses to provide a value to guests both during non-peak times and as a way to offer our Resort to travelers that may not otherwise consider staying with us based upon price alone. While I am delighted to hear your dinner at Chef's Table was enjoyable, it is unfortunate that you did not find it to be a good value. The wine offerings vary each week and are based upon the Chef's decision to pair a particular wine with the menu being offered. Each of the four bottles offered that night ranged in price from $18 to $22 dollars for us to purchase. In my experience I have known restaurants to charge diners three to four times the cost of a bottle of wine. Our practice is to charge two and a half times the price we pay for the bottle. At four glasses each bottle this does put the pricing on or below par with restaurants across the country. Therefore, I must disagree with your assertion that the wine offering is a rip off. However, I will use your comment regarding the cost of bottled water as a training opportunity with our servers so they are best prepared to advise our diners that bottled water is charged and tap is not.

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

The first time I stayed at The Essex, I brought my girlfriend there as an anniversary present. We both immediately fell in love with the atmosphere and the beautiful grounds. Our stay was very enjoyable and relaxing as we got a couple's massage at the spa and the dining was extremely delicious. We both agreed that we would go back soon and we did no less than 3 months later.

Our second stay was just as enjoyable as the first one. The second time we stayed there we booked a fireplace room and it was not only romantic, but cozy as well.
We were both impressed by the cleanliness and promptness of the house keeping. One night we ordered room service for dinner and the food was not only delicious, but the staff was very punctual. It also helps when you are staying at a hotel/resort and the staff are not only welcoming, friendly, and accommodating, but also knowledgeable about the property as well as things to do in the surrounding area. Overall, both our experiences at The Essex have been nothing but spectacular and we are both looking forward to going back during the summer time. The Essex has become our perfect getaway destination.

• Stayed February 2014
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear jrincon012491,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review and for sharing your positive experience with other travelers.

Spring is coming and soon the property will be reborn and bursting with energy and life...hopefully we will see you both again soon.

Director of Resort Operations

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!