“Great resort.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Queens, New York, United States
“Great resort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I will break this review down by hotel, spa, and restaurants.

Hotel: This was my second time staying at the Essex. It was my boyfriend's birthday and they upgraded us to a 1 bedroom suite which was very kind of them. It was large and had a full eat-in kitchen with dining table. The suite is rustic and had a warm stove that kept the whole room quite warm. We also left the bedroom door open at night so it would continue to stay warm. Also, room service was super quick every time we ordered! That's huge plus. We would enjoy a light breakfast in the kitchen each morning. It was nice.

Spa: We got a couple's massage and it was exceptional! The massage therapists are very professional and although they are 1st paradigm, they are still thorough with their intake and ask good questions. They also gave us suggestions for posture improvement. Something as simple as my boyfriend having his wallet in his back pocket throws his posture out of whack. Their facilities are pristine. This locker room has it all: showers, sauna, and steam room! You could spend an hour or 2 just in the locker room. A+ spa! I have been to spas in San Francisco and NYC. It is definitely comparable.

Restaurants: I have only eaten at the Tavern. It was what you would expect: decent bar food with a great beer and wine selection. The only downside of the restaurants are their weekend hours. On a Sunday, we couldn't eat at Amuse or Tavern until dinner time (5 PM) and we were starving! We ended up ordering a pizza instead of waiting around. That was a little disappointing. I would think if you have guests staying 24/7, you would have more accommodating food choices on Sunday during the day.

Conclusion: Overall, it was a very relaxing experience! That is the main goal, right? It was a getaway weekend for us and we really enjoyed the service. As I pointed out, the biggest complaint I had was the weekend hours of the restaurants. The grounds are beautiful, even in the snow-covered winter! Overall, Essex is definitely worth it for a well-needed escape and we will be back!

Room Tip: They have a bonfire on certain nights when we stayed in the Winter complete with s'mores! Ask t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Elizabeth L.

Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent review. I am pleased that you celebrated your boyfriend’s birthday with us. It sounds as if you both took full advantage of our many amenities such as a relaxing spa day, convenient in room dining, and a complimentary upgrade.

I apologize for the restaurant hours not coinciding with your schedule. Monday through Saturday we are open from 6:30am to 10 or 11pm in either Amuse or the Tavern. We offer an exceptional brunch menu on Sundays from 7am until 3 pm. In order to get the kitchen ready for Sunday dinner service we do close from 3pm to 5pm. This is the only time during the week that we close in between meal periods.

Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Mary Ingrisano
Restaurant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
surfinginflorida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I saw an offer on Travel Zoo for a discount at the Essex and a special on a cooking class. We signed up for the German cooking class, and we had a wonderful time. Chef Lawrence was very knowledgeable, and our classroom assistant Rachel was beyond awesome. We cooked amazing food and we didn’t have to wash a single dish! The wine they served while we cooked was yummy and it was so much fun cooking with ten other people we just met! Of course our group of four created the best food of the group.  Everyone at the Resort was friendly, they were super dog friendly, and the grounds and golf course were beautiful. I hope we can go back for a day of golf and an evening of cooking. We are so proud to be sporting our new Essex aprons, and we are taking the recipes to a family reunion to impress our entire family!

Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We booked our room ahead of time and decided to upgrade to a mini suite. The room was fabulous and very private. The bedding was awesome which made for a great night's sleep. The two restaurants were well worth it. A little pricey at the Amuse, but professional chef's in the kitchen. The spa was definitely worth every minute. Overall, very, very nice, clean, pleasant staff. There are no mini refrigerators in the room, which was a surprise considering all the amenities. Very surprised, too, since we had a mini-suite.

Room Tip: We were in room #229 which is a corner room. Perfect for privacy and very quiet. If this is what yo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family and I (including 2 small children) just returned from a fantastic five night stay at the Essex Resort and Spa. Our fireplace room was charming, light, spacious and modern - and they were kind enough to give us a pack n play and cot for our kiddos which worked great. The pool was beautiful and just the right temperature. Jumbo outdoor hot tub was great too. The staff were friendly and helpful. We all loved the afternoon cookies and lemonade. We ate in the restaurant most mornings - not too many kids around which sometimes made me feel bad about our loud, active little ones - but everyone was nice about the little bit of chaos we brought. We ate at Amuse one night (with no kids) - it was delicious but I would say a little over priced. We liked the Tavern a lot. There was also a playground right at the entrance that our girls loved. All in all the Essex exceeded our expectations for sure.

Room Tip: We were in the 3rd floor of the main building - don't have much to compare it it but highly reco...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ringoes, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had such a wonderful time at the Essex.

Facility was lovely and grounds were well-kept. The food at both restaurants is exceptional, very fresh and unique. We took advantage of the tennis 1/2 day camps (July) throughout the week an indulged in spa services - very very nice!!! Pool was small but surprisingly not packed every day, even though it was the height of the summer. The culinary school is great! My 7 yr old and I took a baking lesson together, which was great fun! My husband and I participated in a group cooking lesson and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of a delicious dinner prepared under the guidance of a top chef. The hotel provided us with a babysitting services company and we were very pleased with the babysitter. As a family we had a blast at Northern Lights Rock and Ice where we had a day of adventure scaling a telephone pole and navigating a challenging obstacle course of wobbly, rickety bridges and ending with an exhilarating zip line.

The Essex is close to Burlington and Lake Champlain, The Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, Shelburne Farms, all of which were fun to visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Robbinsville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We made a quick trip to Vermont for our anniversary. We took advantage of a special offer for The Essex. The front desk staff associate was very nice and we were greeted warmly. Our room was in the main building and was quite nice. Two Queen beds, plenty of space, bathroom was a bit small but very clean. We did not use the indoor spa or indoor pool but the Fitness room was very nicely equipped.
Dinner in both The Tavern and Amuse was very good. Nicely located to downtown Burlington, approx 10 miles and shopping outlets across the road.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for a couple of days and it was a perfect relaxing vacation. The room is very cozy and the decoration made you feel like you're at home. I liked the intimate atmosphere of the place. The bed was huge and comfortable and the AC didn't make too much sound, which is very good!! The staff was very friendly and polite.

I didn't use the spa, but if it is the same quality as the fitness center, pool and hot tub, I expect it to be amazing.

The food was very very good and at a reasonable price for a hotel. The make sure to stay a reference in the culinary industry for the region.

I don't recommend going there between season (that was my case) because most of the attractions of the cities nearby are closed.

The only downfalls for me were the bathroom, especially the shower that did not work properly, and the overpriced cooking classes. They should have special prices of guests and couples. For me, paying 2 full prices for the classes was impossible!! But, even though these little things, I sure recommend the place for a peaceful vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!