“Beautiful Vermont spot” 4 of 5 stars

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary room on us!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Ringoes, New Jersey
“Beautiful Vermont spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had such a wonderful time at the Essex.

Facility was lovely and grounds were well-kept. The food at both restaurants is exceptional, very fresh and unique. We took advantage of the tennis 1/2 day camps (July) throughout the week an indulged in spa services - very very nice!!! Pool was small but surprisingly not packed every day, even though it was the height of the summer. The culinary school is great! My 7 yr old and I took a baking lesson together, which was great fun! My husband and I participated in a group cooking lesson and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of a delicious dinner prepared under the guidance of a top chef. The hotel provided us with a babysitting services company and we were very pleased with the babysitter. As a family we had a blast at Northern Lights Rock and Ice where we had a day of adventure scaling a telephone pole and navigating a challenging obstacle course of wobbly, rickety bridges and ending with an exhilarating zip line.

The Essex is close to Burlington and Lake Champlain, The Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, Shelburne Farms, all of which were fun to visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Robbinsville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We made a quick trip to Vermont for our anniversary. We took advantage of a special offer for The Essex. The front desk staff associate was very nice and we were greeted warmly. Our room was in the main building and was quite nice. Two Queen beds, plenty of space, bathroom was a bit small but very clean. We did not use the indoor spa or indoor pool but the Fitness room was very nicely equipped.
Dinner in both The Tavern and Amuse was very good. Nicely located to downtown Burlington, approx 10 miles and shopping outlets across the road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for a couple of days and it was a perfect relaxing vacation. The room is very cozy and the decoration made you feel like you're at home. I liked the intimate atmosphere of the place. The bed was huge and comfortable and the AC didn't make too much sound, which is very good!! The staff was very friendly and polite.

I didn't use the spa, but if it is the same quality as the fitness center, pool and hot tub, I expect it to be amazing.

The food was very very good and at a reasonable price for a hotel. The make sure to stay a reference in the culinary industry for the region.

I don't recommend going there between season (that was my case) because most of the attractions of the cities nearby are closed.

The only downfalls for me were the bathroom, especially the shower that did not work properly, and the overpriced cooking classes. They should have special prices of guests and couples. For me, paying 2 full prices for the classes was impossible!! But, even though these little things, I sure recommend the place for a peaceful vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
North of Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Essex Inn this past weekend to visit our daughter at UVM. We had a great time. The Inn was beautiful, the staff was articulate and accommodating, the service levels high and amenities outstanding. The Inn was so great that our daughter probably spent more time with us than she might have had we been staying in one of the chain hotels in Burlington.

Friday night we dined in the fine dining restaurant. My wife and I ordered the tasting menu and shared everything. The bone marrow Caesar salad was out of this world, as was the oyster surf & turf. The server realized my daughter doesn't care for meat and graciously steered her away from the gnocchi, made with bone marrow.

Saturday we had a glass of wine in the tavern while watching the college basketball tournament with people from the neighborhood, which was fun.

Sunday my wife and daughter enjoyed the spa while the hotel gave me a late checkout, which was much appreciated.

We REALLY enjoyed it and will be back!

Room Tip: Room was great, but the pillows too small and too soft. While checking out, I found the larger, fir...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
East Berne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I went to the Essex for 3 nights with a Travelzoo voucher. I'm not sure what I expected, but I know it was more than what we found.

The room was standard -- perhaps a step up from a chain -- until you got to the bathroom. The wallpaper was either stained or scrubbed so hard the pattern was disappearing. The woodwork was scratched and almost without paint. I appreciated the drawers and medicine cabinet since they provided places to stow my cosmetics, etc., but there was no space whatsoever on the sink top.

The bed was quite comfortable but the only way we could get the room cool enough was to shut off the heat completely and open a window. We asked (in a note) if there were down or feather pillows available but got no response. I should have called to verify that request because the pillows (foam) were very hard and uncomfortable.

We had a studio which included a full-size refrigerator that was incredibly noisy. The maid left extra regular coffee for the Keurig, as requested, which was very nice.

Travelzoo and the Essex also provided $25 vouchers for Amuse restaurant, a cooking class and the spa. We could not use the cooking class voucher, because it would have meant that either both of us take a class or one of us eat dinner solo. The dinner and classes for two of us would have been in excess of $300 -- not on a senior citizen's budget.

We also decided not to use the Amuse vouchers for similar reasons.

My husband used the pool and the workout area, and we both used the hot tub. I was surprised that the women's locker room had only one shower and provided no amenities (Q-tips, feminine products, etc.) outside of a single hair dryer. Neither of us used the spa vouchers.

The Essex offers cookies and hot cider in the afternoon. The first day they had two types of cookies; the second and third days there were only chocolate chip, and I am forced to avoid chocolate so that was rather annoying.

I can't say anything about the grounds since we were visiting between seasons (or what is locally known as mud season). Apparently there is some sort of climbing/obstacle course in one area, but at this time of the year, it just looked like a couple of abandoned buildings that were in great disrepair.

The hotel is a good distance from the city of Burlington but relatively close to the outlets. And from all the 'excellent' reviews, I assume it's terrific if you don't have a budget.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello grammymem,
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We apologize that the bathroom did not meet your standards; please know that we are actually in the process of repairing & renovating them as we speak. As for the rest of your stay, I'm sorry that you chose not to experience Cook Academy, the Spa, or our restaurants (especially as the vouchers were all included in your package), as they really are the cornerstones of our resort. Hopefully when you return you will be able to take advantage of them and experience all that The Essex Resort & Spa has to offer.
Thank you again for your review.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The combination of laid-back country atmosphere, good overall service and terrific food options (both restaurant and cooking class) make this place a wonderful escape. It is hard not to feel rejuvenated even if you simply stroll the resort grounds. Although you may feel it is far from the Burlington city center, you will lack for none of the amenities of civilization. Quite the contrary! The staff is attentive, friendly and (my favorite) solution-oriented. This resort is a gem. These guys do a great job.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a newer hotel, but has the feel of a by-gone era. I liked everything about it except the bed which I found uncomfortable - too much motion transfer, but then we're used to sleeping on foam.
The pool was lovely - I attended a water aerobics class that was a lot of fun, and enjoyed the outdoor hot tub, particularly when it started to snow.
I wasn't able to attend a cooking class, but they looked really good. There was also a full menu of spa services available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!