“Nice hotel, lacking on the amenities” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Essex
Merrick, New York
“Nice hotel, lacking on the amenities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here as a reult of a Groupon deal that we purchased & I'm glad that we did not pay the traditional room rates... The rooms were cute - felt like a B&B rather than a hotel, but the colors of the rooms were outrageous. Ours was red/orange & some of the others that we saw were aqua, purple, etc... It looked like some could be migraine inducing...

As a 'resort' overall I expected more on-site amenities & activities. Due to timing we did not take any of the cooking classes, but aside from this there was really nothing much to offer the guests. I also expected the property to be a bit more secluded & away from the highway. I would not call this a resort.

The spa was amazing. This was the best part of the trip. The facilities are top notch & the staff were phenominal. They were able to provide a very satisfying pre-natal massage for myself & a deep tissue one for my husband. I was surprised actually at how they were able to accomodate me for the prenatal massage with special tables/contraptions that made it a very enjoyable experience. The spa also has sauna/steam room etc.so I would recommend taking advantage of the facilities & making a day out of the experience. We also went to the indoor pool, which was a bit colder than I would have expected.

The food situation was horrendous. Apparantly it is completely normal for the wait for dinner to be at least 2 hours long. They did not take reservations for dinner & the hotel lobby area was full of guests/diners moping around, waiting hours for their table. When staying at a resort, I like the convenience of not having to leave the property, especially when the only decent food is 25 mins away in Burlington, but the hotel made this nearly impossible. There were sooo many tired, hungry people waiting around that it really yielded an air of negativity. It seems that they ecan not adequately manage the number of diners. The hostesses were happy to give us restaurant recommendtaions and watch people turn away from the 2 hour wait. It seems that the resort is losing out big time on this & I have to say really annoyed us that we had to leave to go find someplace else to eat dinner. On the 2nd night we waitied until about 9:00 & ate dinner at Tavern. The food was better than I expected & the service was very good.
We had breakfast at Amuse on Sunday morning which was not excellent. I am reading reviews now that there is a buffet at Tavern for brunch? This we had no idea about & we were not informed that there were any choices. We were immediately taken to a table at Amuse, but would have appreciated being given the option of an alternative & were actually anticipating a buffet type brunch in the first place.

874 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at the resort this past weekend with my boyfriend after I bought a Travelzoo voucher. I had never been to Burlington so I thought why not take a road trip! And one of my boyfriend's friends lives up that way so we met for a drink while there. I booked a soak and couples massage for us at the spa and it was really wonderful. Great service, except a slight mixup where they mixed up my boyfriend and another guy, it was a little awkward but funny so no big deal! The spa was very relaxing and cozy, you could sip some tea or juice and sit by the fire, read a magazine or book. We used the pool and outdoor hottub which was also nice. Everyone was very friendly everywhere we went. The heat was on in the room we stayed in, looked like it was at 70, way too hot, I turned it off. Also, it was a bit noisy as the walls seemed thin, but did not really bother us, just thought I would mention if you are a light sleeper :) We did not eat at Amuse even though we had a dining credit, but did have a cocktail and appetizer at the Tavern which was really good. I would go back, definitely go to the spa again and try one of the culinary classes!

West Bridgewater, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family booked five rooms for a fiftieth birthday celebration. We ate in Amuse the first night, very good, small portions. The waiter was great, he explained the menus to us better. You can also order things with sauces on the side or not at all. But the next night, (3 couples), We went to The Tavern, we arrived at 6pm and were never seated until almost 9pm. By then, nobody was hungry anymore!!!! We should have made reservations. I will say that the couples massages were outstanding!!!!! The spa facilities and the spa therapists were out of this world. I would definately drive four and a half hours again to have a massage here again. But then I would turn around and drive four hours back towards home. That was the highlight of the trip.

Room Tip: Other Family had rooms with fireplaces, some with double beds, some with larger rooms. Not us. Small...
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Best bed I've ever slept in. Resort was nice and clean. Colors are a but dated 80ish with the blues and pinks, but nevertheless it was nice. I was expecting "wow" food being a culinary resort, but it was just good food ...nothing to brag about. I only ate at the Tavern there an did not eat at he Amuse. Needs music in the bars and restaurants. Was quiet. Music needs to be played everywhere....just makes things better. Was too far from Burlington

Auburn, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We held our wedding at the Essex, and it was fantastic. The wedding coordinators were incredibly helpful and attentive, and it all went off without a hitch. They not only helped us achieve what we wanted for our wedding, but they also had great suggestions. The food was delicious, both at the wedding and at Amuse for dinner the next night. We also had massages at the spa there and they were great. Highly recommend.

York County, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a comfortable and lovely stay at The Essex. We ate dinner and breakfast at Amuse during our stay. The food lives up to they hype! Our room was a "traditional room". It was small but clean and adequate. The bed was divinely comfortable. Unfortunately, their heating system relies on individual room units that sound like a diesel tractor when they start up. We were awakened by the racket repeatedly throughout the night. We won't stay in the winter again but when we are in the area will certainly plan to dine there.

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I (along with our dogs) stayed the weekend at the Essex. We took advantage of the Groupon offered a few months back.

Check-in was very easy and our room was ready for us (though we did check-in around 230). We had a room on the 3rd floor facing the pool. It had a gas fireplace which I didn't mind much (I find regular fireplaces to be smelly). However, like others complained, the heater was very noisy and the room didn't have a good consistent temperature. It was disappointing that we were placed far away from the elevator, but we had a back exit/entrance that we used for the dogs. However, the only trashcan around the resort was in the front of the building. It would have been nice to have trashcans in other places.

We ate at Amuse the 1st night and it was really great, but I was disappointed in the lobster risotto. I wish the waiter told me more about it (or the menu gave me more info), because it has a weird BBQ sauce that almost ruined the flavors. The 2nd night it was so bust everywhere that we had to order take-out from the Tavern. I actually preferred the their food than the "snooty" Amuse dishes. I am not a huge fan of breakfast, but the breakfast there was great (albiet a little expensive). Had the buffet the 1st morning and an tasty egg,potato,spinach,cheese sandwich the next morning.

My only real negative would be the extra charges the resort tacks on. $15 for a resort fee is a little ridiculous for every night you are there (and yes I am well aware that the Groupon mentioned this). However, many resorts have pools and saunas and do not over charge. Plus, since this is winter and there aren't other amenities available (outdoor pool, tennis courts, etc), how about cutting back the fee for your winter guests?

All-in-all, great experience, but we won't come back unless we get a really great deal again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!