We stayed here as a reult of a Groupon deal that we purchased & I'm glad that we did not pay the traditional room rates... The rooms were cute - felt like a B&B rather than a hotel, but the colors of the rooms were outrageous. Ours was red/orange & some of the others that we saw were aqua, purple, etc... It looked like some could be migraine inducing...
As a 'resort' overall I expected more on-site amenities & activities. Due to timing we did not take any of the cooking classes, but aside from this there was really nothing much to offer the guests. I also expected the property to be a bit more secluded & away from the highway. I would not call this a resort.
The spa was amazing. This was the best part of the trip. The facilities are top notch & the staff were phenominal. They were able to provide a very satisfying pre-natal massage for myself & a deep tissue one for my husband. I was surprised actually at how they were able to accomodate me for the prenatal massage with special tables/contraptions that made it a very enjoyable experience. The spa also has sauna/steam room etc.so I would recommend taking advantage of the facilities & making a day out of the experience. We also went to the indoor pool, which was a bit colder than I would have expected.
The food situation was horrendous. Apparantly it is completely normal for the wait for dinner to be at least 2 hours long. They did not take reservations for dinner & the hotel lobby area was full of guests/diners moping around, waiting hours for their table. When staying at a resort, I like the convenience of not having to leave the property, especially when the only decent food is 25 mins away in Burlington, but the hotel made this nearly impossible. There were sooo many tired, hungry people waiting around that it really yielded an air of negativity. It seems that they ecan not adequately manage the number of diners. The hostesses were happy to give us restaurant recommendtaions and watch people turn away from the 2 hour wait. It seems that the resort is losing out big time on this & I have to say really annoyed us that we had to leave to go find someplace else to eat dinner. On the 2nd night we waitied until about 9:00 & ate dinner at Tavern. The food was better than I expected & the service was very good.
We had breakfast at Amuse on Sunday morning which was not excellent. I am reading reviews now that there is a buffet at Tavern for brunch? This we had no idea about & we were not informed that there were any choices. We were immediately taken to a table at Amuse, but would have appreciated being given the option of an alternative & were actually anticipating a buffet type brunch in the first place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 18 acres between the vistas of the Green Mountains and the splendor of Lake Champlain, The Essex is Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa. As the Burlington area’s only AAA Four Diamond hotel, The Essex is a true destination, offering a full-service Spa and Fitness Center, cooking classes in the J.K. Adams and Chef's Kitchens of Cook Academy, and our two award-winning restaurants-- all of which perfectly complement our classic accommodations.The Essex is the premier choice for your next group event and is the perfect Vermont wedding destination for dozens of happy couples tying the knot each year. From our own Vermont Tennis Vacations to our wine list, ranked among the best in the world, The Essex offers you an experience unlike any other resort in New England. ...a true Recipe for Relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Resort And Spa
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Hotel Essex
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Junction
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Hotel
- Inn Essex
- The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa