“Dinner @ Amuse was good, but the wait @ the Tavern was ridiculous!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Essex
West Bridgewater, Massachusetts
“Dinner @ Amuse was good, but the wait @ the Tavern was ridiculous!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family booked five rooms for a fiftieth birthday celebration. We ate in Amuse the first night, very good, small portions. The waiter was great, he explained the menus to us better. You can also order things with sauces on the side or not at all. But the next night, (3 couples), We went to The Tavern, we arrived at 6pm and were never seated until almost 9pm. By then, nobody was hungry anymore!!!! We should have made reservations. I will say that the couples massages were outstanding!!!!! The spa facilities and the spa therapists were out of this world. I would definately drive four and a half hours again to have a massage here again. But then I would turn around and drive four hours back towards home. That was the highlight of the trip.

Room Tip: Other Family had rooms with fireplaces, some with double beds, some with larger rooms. Not us. Small...

786 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Best bed I've ever slept in. Resort was nice and clean. Colors are a but dated 80ish with the blues and pinks, but nevertheless it was nice. I was expecting "wow" food being a culinary resort, but it was just good food ...nothing to brag about. I only ate at the Tavern there an did not eat at he Amuse. Needs music in the bars and restaurants. Was quiet. Music needs to be played everywhere....just makes things better. Was too far from Burlington

Auburn, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We held our wedding at the Essex, and it was fantastic. The wedding coordinators were incredibly helpful and attentive, and it all went off without a hitch. They not only helped us achieve what we wanted for our wedding, but they also had great suggestions. The food was delicious, both at the wedding and at Amuse for dinner the next night. We also had massages at the spa there and they were great. Highly recommend.

York County, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a comfortable and lovely stay at The Essex. We ate dinner and breakfast at Amuse during our stay. The food lives up to they hype! Our room was a "traditional room". It was small but clean and adequate. The bed was divinely comfortable. Unfortunately, their heating system relies on individual room units that sound like a diesel tractor when they start up. We were awakened by the racket repeatedly throughout the night. We won't stay in the winter again but when we are in the area will certainly plan to dine there.

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I (along with our dogs) stayed the weekend at the Essex. We took advantage of the Groupon offered a few months back.

Check-in was very easy and our room was ready for us (though we did check-in around 230). We had a room on the 3rd floor facing the pool. It had a gas fireplace which I didn't mind much (I find regular fireplaces to be smelly). However, like others complained, the heater was very noisy and the room didn't have a good consistent temperature. It was disappointing that we were placed far away from the elevator, but we had a back exit/entrance that we used for the dogs. However, the only trashcan around the resort was in the front of the building. It would have been nice to have trashcans in other places.

We ate at Amuse the 1st night and it was really great, but I was disappointed in the lobster risotto. I wish the waiter told me more about it (or the menu gave me more info), because it has a weird BBQ sauce that almost ruined the flavors. The 2nd night it was so bust everywhere that we had to order take-out from the Tavern. I actually preferred the their food than the "snooty" Amuse dishes. I am not a huge fan of breakfast, but the breakfast there was great (albiet a little expensive). Had the buffet the 1st morning and an tasty egg,potato,spinach,cheese sandwich the next morning.

My only real negative would be the extra charges the resort tacks on. $15 for a resort fee is a little ridiculous for every night you are there (and yes I am well aware that the Groupon mentioned this). However, many resorts have pools and saunas and do not over charge. Plus, since this is winter and there aren't other amenities available (outdoor pool, tennis courts, etc), how about cutting back the fee for your winter guests?

All-in-all, great experience, but we won't come back unless we get a really great deal again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Absolutely one of the best and most relaxing vacations I've experienced. The staff was extremely nice, the room was extra large and had everything one could need. I have no complaints about anything. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

As if the resort is not expensive enough as it is, they charge an extra $20-$25 per day for a rooms and meals tax, plus an additional $15 per day resort fee. To add insult to injury, the website states the spa offers a lap pool, whirlpool, steam room, and sauna, but what they don't tell you is even if you are a hotel guest, you need to pay an extra $20 per person, per day, for use of the sauna and steam room. The only reason I gave the Essex two stars and not one is because I actually enjoyed the cooking class. Other than that, this resort WAS NOT WORTH IT. If I were to do it again I would stay somewhere else in the area and just sign up for the cooking class.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the confusion regarding the taxes and fees. While we thought we made it clear in the Groupon deal description that tax and our $15/night Resort Fee were not included, it looks as though we might need to be a little more clear. As to the taxes, they are unfortunately, quite simply, out of our control. They are levied in accordance with Vermont State law and are done so equally at every other hotel/resort in the state.

Hopefully this clarifies the issue somewhat, and I apologize again for the confusion.

Collin Parker, Marketing Director

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!