My husband and I (along with our dogs) stayed the weekend at the Essex. We took advantage of the Groupon offered a few months back.
Check-in was very easy and our room was ready for us (though we did check-in around 230). We had a room on the 3rd floor facing the pool. It had a gas fireplace which I didn't mind much (I find regular fireplaces to be smelly). However, like others complained, the heater was very noisy and the room didn't have a good consistent temperature. It was disappointing that we were placed far away from the elevator, but we had a back exit/entrance that we used for the dogs. However, the only trashcan around the resort was in the front of the building. It would have been nice to have trashcans in other places.
We ate at Amuse the 1st night and it was really great, but I was disappointed in the lobster risotto. I wish the waiter told me more about it (or the menu gave me more info), because it has a weird BBQ sauce that almost ruined the flavors. The 2nd night it was so bust everywhere that we had to order take-out from the Tavern. I actually preferred the their food than the "snooty" Amuse dishes. I am not a huge fan of breakfast, but the breakfast there was great (albiet a little expensive). Had the buffet the 1st morning and an tasty egg,potato,spinach,cheese sandwich the next morning.
My only real negative would be the extra charges the resort tacks on. $15 for a resort fee is a little ridiculous for every night you are there (and yes I am well aware that the Groupon mentioned this). However, many resorts have pools and saunas and do not over charge. Plus, since this is winter and there aren't other amenities available (outdoor pool, tennis courts, etc), how about cutting back the fee for your winter guests?
All-in-all, great experience, but we won't come back unless we get a really great deal again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 18 acres between the vistas of the Green Mountains and the splendor of Lake Champlain, The Essex is Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa. As the Burlington area’s only AAA Four Diamond hotel, The Essex is a true destination, offering a full-service Spa and Fitness Center, cooking classes in the J.K. Adams and Chef's Kitchens of Cook Academy, and our two award-winning restaurants-- all of which perfectly complement our classic accommodations.The Essex is the premier choice for your next group event and is the perfect Vermont wedding destination for dozens of happy couples tying the knot each year. From our own Vermont Tennis Vacations to our wine list, ranked among the best in the world, The Essex offers you an experience unlike any other resort in New England. ...a true Recipe for Relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Resort And Spa
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Hotel Essex
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Junction
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Hotel
- Inn Essex
- The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa