“Beware of the extra charges...” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beware of the extra charges...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

As if the resort is not expensive enough as it is, they charge an extra $20-$25 per day for a rooms and meals tax, plus an additional $15 per day resort fee. To add insult to injury, the website states the spa offers a lap pool, whirlpool, steam room, and sauna, but what they don't tell you is even if you are a hotel guest, you need to pay an extra $20 per person, per day, for use of the sauna and steam room. The only reason I gave the Essex two stars and not one is because I actually enjoyed the cooking class. Other than that, this resort WAS NOT WORTH IT. If I were to do it again I would stay somewhere else in the area and just sign up for the cooking class.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the confusion regarding the taxes and fees. While we thought we made it clear in the Groupon deal description that tax and our $15/night Resort Fee were not included, it looks as though we might need to be a little more clear. As to the taxes, they are unfortunately, quite simply, out of our control. They are levied in accordance with Vermont State law and are done so equally at every other hotel/resort in the state.

Hopefully this clarifies the issue somewhat, and I apologize again for the confusion.

Collin Parker, Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

They sure live up to their name, the food is absolutely amazing. Rooms are spacious and cozy. Staff is very pleasant. Neat to walk around and see the locally grown produce and chickens. They have a free bus going to the train station. However it is not very close to downtown Burlington, so plan to spend most of your time on location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Antigua, Guatemala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

From a broken sink (we had to change rooms when we turned it on because water was all over the bathroom floor) to light bulbs that needed to be replaced (this was the room we moved to), and a shower with minimal water there was already a lot not to like. I must say that through the ordeal the staff were patient and well mannered. It gave me pause to consider that this was a regular occurence since no one made too much of a fuss about any of it. However, what really makes this resort awful is their lack of heating control. Our room went from 64 degrees Farenheit to 85 degrees and the hotel in the middle of the night said they could not find someone to fix it. This was simply unacceptable. When the room became so hot that we couldn't sleep we told them to turn it off which was the better of several terrrible options they offered. However, when we woke up the room was freezing. So we got into some proper clothing, took our bags, got into our car and started driving never to look back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JGVT, General Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear ltMatter85,
Thank you so much for providing this feedback and let me please express my sincere apologies with regard to the various mishaps you’ve outlined. No doubt…this was an unacceptable stay and I am frankly embarrassed. When systems fail and the hotel is full, it certainly can present a challenge, however it appears that we missed the mark on all counts.
I would very much like to have you back for a more appropriate stay in the future. To that end, please contact me at your convenience and it would be my pleasure to provide you with a stay that is more in keeping with the exceptional experiences that the vast majority of our guests enjoy.
Warm regards,
Jim Glanville
jimg@vtculinaryresort.com
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had a good, but average stay at the Essex in the Fall. Decent rooms with good amenities, but a little worn and in need of some repair. The price for the room was a little high compared to the state of the room and that is why I rate it as average (it is after all what this review is in reference to). The location is a bit out of the way and find it hard to justify it as a destination hotel. Their restaurants are fabulous and would definitely go back to any of them. A quick tip is they have a bakery/coffee shop across the street in the shopping plaza run by the Essex. A good option if you don't feel like having a big breakfast in the morning or going directly into Portsmouth for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in January, and it was fantastic. We brought our dog with us, and they were very accomodating to him as well. Upon arrival, we were brought doggie bags and treats for our little guy. There are a ton of things to do locally, so we couldn't complain about being bored. The food at the Tavern and Amuse were absolutely fantastic. Our dinner at Amuse was one of the best I have had in a long time. We loved everything. Our room had a fireplace in it, and you could adjust the heat, so that was ideal because it was -1 degree outside. It was charming and cozy, but could use a few things to spruce it up. We weren't bothered by it.
The location is about 15-20 min away from downtown Burlington, which is convenient for some walking/shopping/eating, etc. We booked the room via Sniqeaway, so the value was great for us. We paid about a hundred dollars less than we would have otherwise. Overall, we would come back here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went there for with my girlfriend for memorial day weekend 2012. Let me start of by saying that our room got upgraded for free because a lot of the rooms were booked for a wedding.This place is great. Great scenery, great food and friendly people. Dining at The Tavern is truly an awesome culinary experience. Burlington is very close, I highly recommend visiting the town and tasting the a lot of micro brews. Also, if it's warm enough, rent a bike and go for a ride around the lake.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The first thing I want to say is their customer service is outstanding! Everyone was so friendly and helpful!

I had mentioned on when I made my reservation that it was my anniversary. When we arrived, there was a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us in our room! What a wonderful surprise! We then went to The Tavern for dinner. I had the Free Run Veal Meatloaf with perfectly mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts.. Meatloaf is not something I usually order in restaurants, but the idea of having Veal meatloaf intrigued me. It was so delicious. Probably the best meatloaf I have ever had! . A meal of this caliber is certainly not something you would find in a tavern. The next morning I went to the spa and had a facial and body scrub. It was heavenly and was so sad when it had to end!

The room was nice, but the bed was too soft. Some people really like soft mattresses not my husband and I. I also wish that there was more lighting and outlets in the room. I understand the the hotel isn't a new hotel and wasn't designed to cater to people with lap tops and cell phones that needed charging, but my recommendation would be the next time the rooms are renovated to take that into consideration. Other than that, the room reminded me of a cozy bedroom that you would have at home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!