“Amazing food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Arlington, Virginia
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

They sure live up to their name, the food is absolutely amazing. Rooms are spacious and cozy. Staff is very pleasant. Neat to walk around and see the locally grown produce and chickens. They have a free bus going to the train station. However it is not very close to downtown Burlington, so plan to spend most of your time on location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Antigua, Guatemala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

From a broken sink (we had to change rooms when we turned it on because water was all over the bathroom floor) to light bulbs that needed to be replaced (this was the room we moved to), and a shower with minimal water there was already a lot not to like. I must say that through the ordeal the staff were patient and well mannered. It gave me pause to consider that this was a regular occurence since no one made too much of a fuss about any of it. However, what really makes this resort awful is their lack of heating control. Our room went from 64 degrees Farenheit to 85 degrees and the hotel in the middle of the night said they could not find someone to fix it. This was simply unacceptable. When the room became so hot that we couldn't sleep we told them to turn it off which was the better of several terrrible options they offered. However, when we woke up the room was freezing. So we got into some proper clothing, took our bags, got into our car and started driving never to look back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JGVT, General Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear ltMatter85,
Thank you so much for providing this feedback and let me please express my sincere apologies with regard to the various mishaps you’ve outlined. No doubt…this was an unacceptable stay and I am frankly embarrassed. When systems fail and the hotel is full, it certainly can present a challenge, however it appears that we missed the mark on all counts.
I would very much like to have you back for a more appropriate stay in the future. To that end, please contact me at your convenience and it would be my pleasure to provide you with a stay that is more in keeping with the exceptional experiences that the vast majority of our guests enjoy.
Warm regards,
Jim Glanville
jimg@vtculinaryresort.com
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had a good, but average stay at the Essex in the Fall. Decent rooms with good amenities, but a little worn and in need of some repair. The price for the room was a little high compared to the state of the room and that is why I rate it as average (it is after all what this review is in reference to). The location is a bit out of the way and find it hard to justify it as a destination hotel. Their restaurants are fabulous and would definitely go back to any of them. A quick tip is they have a bakery/coffee shop across the street in the shopping plaza run by the Essex. A good option if you don't feel like having a big breakfast in the morning or going directly into Portsmouth for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in January, and it was fantastic. We brought our dog with us, and they were very accomodating to him as well. Upon arrival, we were brought doggie bags and treats for our little guy. There are a ton of things to do locally, so we couldn't complain about being bored. The food at the Tavern and Amuse were absolutely fantastic. Our dinner at Amuse was one of the best I have had in a long time. We loved everything. Our room had a fireplace in it, and you could adjust the heat, so that was ideal because it was -1 degree outside. It was charming and cozy, but could use a few things to spruce it up. We weren't bothered by it.
The location is about 15-20 min away from downtown Burlington, which is convenient for some walking/shopping/eating, etc. We booked the room via Sniqeaway, so the value was great for us. We paid about a hundred dollars less than we would have otherwise. Overall, we would come back here.

Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went there for with my girlfriend for memorial day weekend 2012. Let me start of by saying that our room got upgraded for free because a lot of the rooms were booked for a wedding.This place is great. Great scenery, great food and friendly people. Dining at The Tavern is truly an awesome culinary experience. Burlington is very close, I highly recommend visiting the town and tasting the a lot of micro brews. Also, if it's warm enough, rent a bike and go for a ride around the lake.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The first thing I want to say is their customer service is outstanding! Everyone was so friendly and helpful!

I had mentioned on when I made my reservation that it was my anniversary. When we arrived, there was a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us in our room! What a wonderful surprise! We then went to The Tavern for dinner. I had the Free Run Veal Meatloaf with perfectly mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts.. Meatloaf is not something I usually order in restaurants, but the idea of having Veal meatloaf intrigued me. It was so delicious. Probably the best meatloaf I have ever had! . A meal of this caliber is certainly not something you would find in a tavern. The next morning I went to the spa and had a facial and body scrub. It was heavenly and was so sad when it had to end!

The room was nice, but the bed was too soft. Some people really like soft mattresses not my husband and I. I also wish that there was more lighting and outlets in the room. I understand the the hotel isn't a new hotel and wasn't designed to cater to people with lap tops and cell phones that needed charging, but my recommendation would be the next time the rooms are renovated to take that into consideration. Other than that, the room reminded me of a cozy bedroom that you would have at home.

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visit the Inn a few times per year and always have a good time. We have noticed that the bathrooms are in need of some 'freshening up'. The room decor has not changed in a very long time and could use a bit of change i.e. new wallpaper, new pictures, maybe new carpetting. However, not too much change because it is such a charming place. We really don't like the renovations in the lobby - they took out the library and opened the lobby up more. The library was a great place to play a game or find some quiet.
We are somewhat disappointed by the food too. Twice we have bought pasteries in the lobby where they have a display case and they were not fresh!!! The Tavern needs to bring back the caesar salad and put some fresh ideas on the menu! Amuse could also add some 'normal' food to their menu. I know the chef is wonderful but some items are a bit 'out there'. We usually eat in the Tavern because the Amuse menu is quite expensive and most items do not interest us. I have heard that comment from others at the Inn too. I am sorry I am pointing out negatives.
The Inn is a wonderful place to stay; the breakfast buffet is delicious. The staff is wonderful, the spa is beautiful, clean and inviting. I have had a number of treatments at the Spa and loved it! They spoil you!
They have upgraded the T.V.'s in the rooms, they have clock radio's with iPod chargers which is helpful. WiFi in your room.
The studio rooms with a kitchenette are perfect and well supplied with everything you may need!
When calling for a reservation they are so helpful and friendly.
The Inn has been offering many specials and it is worth a visit without a doubt!!

Room Tip: We love the manoir building; if you are staying for a few days it is worth getting a studio room wit...