“An excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Essex
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“An excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went there for with my girlfriend for memorial day weekend 2012. Let me start of by saying that our room got upgraded for free because a lot of the rooms were booked for a wedding.This place is great. Great scenery, great food and friendly people. Dining at The Tavern is truly an awesome culinary experience. Burlington is very close, I highly recommend visiting the town and tasting the a lot of micro brews. Also, if it's warm enough, rent a bike and go for a ride around the lake.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

833 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The first thing I want to say is their customer service is outstanding! Everyone was so friendly and helpful!

I had mentioned on when I made my reservation that it was my anniversary. When we arrived, there was a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us in our room! What a wonderful surprise! We then went to The Tavern for dinner. I had the Free Run Veal Meatloaf with perfectly mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts.. Meatloaf is not something I usually order in restaurants, but the idea of having Veal meatloaf intrigued me. It was so delicious. Probably the best meatloaf I have ever had! . A meal of this caliber is certainly not something you would find in a tavern. The next morning I went to the spa and had a facial and body scrub. It was heavenly and was so sad when it had to end!

The room was nice, but the bed was too soft. Some people really like soft mattresses not my husband and I. I also wish that there was more lighting and outlets in the room. I understand the the hotel isn't a new hotel and wasn't designed to cater to people with lap tops and cell phones that needed charging, but my recommendation would be the next time the rooms are renovated to take that into consideration. Other than that, the room reminded me of a cozy bedroom that you would have at home.

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visit the Inn a few times per year and always have a good time. We have noticed that the bathrooms are in need of some 'freshening up'. The room decor has not changed in a very long time and could use a bit of change i.e. new wallpaper, new pictures, maybe new carpetting. However, not too much change because it is such a charming place. We really don't like the renovations in the lobby - they took out the library and opened the lobby up more. The library was a great place to play a game or find some quiet.
We are somewhat disappointed by the food too. Twice we have bought pasteries in the lobby where they have a display case and they were not fresh!!! The Tavern needs to bring back the caesar salad and put some fresh ideas on the menu! Amuse could also add some 'normal' food to their menu. I know the chef is wonderful but some items are a bit 'out there'. We usually eat in the Tavern because the Amuse menu is quite expensive and most items do not interest us. I have heard that comment from others at the Inn too. I am sorry I am pointing out negatives.
The Inn is a wonderful place to stay; the breakfast buffet is delicious. The staff is wonderful, the spa is beautiful, clean and inviting. I have had a number of treatments at the Spa and loved it! They spoil you!
They have upgraded the T.V.'s in the rooms, they have clock radio's with iPod chargers which is helpful. WiFi in your room.
The studio rooms with a kitchenette are perfect and well supplied with everything you may need!
When calling for a reservation they are so helpful and friendly.
The Inn has been offering many specials and it is worth a visit without a doubt!!

Room Tip: We love the manoir building; if you are staying for a few days it is worth getting a studio room wit...
Norwalk, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was my 3rd stay at the Essex. Check-in and check out was a breeze. We stayed again in the Manor building (room 157) with a fireplace and kitchenette. room was very clean as expected. The mattress could use replacing, felt like we slept in a bit of a ditch, it was super worn in. I thought I had seen signs last year that they were working on replacing the mattresses so maybe they haven't gotten to that one yet. The first night we dined at Amuse. We thought the food was very delicious. Only thing holding us back from dining there more are the prices of the food. very expensive, but still very delicious. The food was a little slow to come out, it turned into a 2 hour dinner, so just be aware.
Saturday we decided to eat at the Tavern for dinner since we've done it before and liked the food. I called earlier in the day to make a dinner reservation, they told me 8:45 no problem. we were out all day and rushed back to the hotel to make our reservation only to find that the tavern doesn't take reservations only Amuse so the person who answered the phone got mixed up. we were just a little annoyed because we didn't need to rush, but oh well. The tavern menu has changed a lot over the last couple years, there wasn't even a chicken entree option which i was surprised about. i asked the waitress about it and she said embarrassingly that there was a grilled chicken option on the kids menu if i wanted it. Or that some of the salads have a grilled chicken add-on option if i want. Strange. Quality of the food at Tavern went down a little. i ordered a grilled caesar salad with shrimp, the shrimp seemed a little undercooked which caught me by surprise, but i was hungry and didn't want to send the food back so i just put the shrimp to the side. My husband liked his club sandwich.
We visited the spa again, the facilities are immaculate, and calming. We did a side by side couples massage. My husband's therapist (Ashely) was great (from his words), I had Rod (or Ron?) and he was very nice but i had to tell him 3 separate times to lighten the pressure, which wasn't super relaxing but overall i still had a decent massage.

I would still recommend this place to come and stay, enjoy the food/spa/hot tub. but at this point not sure if i can recommend the Tavern, it was a little disappointing this time around. Amuse was very delicious.

Room Tip: We always prefer the Manor building w/fireplace and kitchenette. nice to have when you bring your o...
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We love The Essex Resort more than any hotel we have ever been too! I mentioned that I wanted to spend the night for my Birthday and from that moment on Janette proceeded to make it the most magical birthday I have ever had ( I am 52, and have had many wonderful birthdays!) She included early birthday wishes ( colorful balloon bouquet. Image) on my confirmation email, then we arrived to find that she had not only matched the absolute lowest Priceline deal, but for my birthday they upgraded my room to King size, whirlpool bath and fireplace room , invited us to choose a complementary gourmet dessert ( I chose creme brûlée which was as good as the one I ate in Paris 5 yrs ago) and finally I was almost in tears to see a chilled bottle of sparkling wine with a card wishing me a Happy Birthday from the staff at The Essex!!!!
I have been here 4 times since August ( both with and without my children) it is a short drive to heaven! Swimming,shopping, biking,nature walks, tennis, campfires,Spa, gourmet yet reasonablely priced meals.... I could go on and on! It is always clean, friendly,relaxing, comfortable while feeling pampered! We love The Essex!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny and the heat can be adjusted in the room so you are guaranteed to b...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I were staying the weekend at Stowe Mountain Lounge and needed a hotel near the airport for one night. We've seen The Essex Culinary Resort on Jetsetter.com a few times and found a great rate for $88. We arrived around midnight and were put in 'The Mansion' part of the resort. The Resort is very cozy and doesn't seem to be as expansive as the pictures. It was however snowing, so most of the outdoor areas were blocked off due to ice. The cooking area was in one big kitchen area, amongst guest rooms. When booking, request not to stay near the classroom as the close proximity could be noisy. The pool is massive and is located in its own building.. We didn't have time to visit the spa but the setting seemed tranquil and smelled amazing. The breakfast buffet tasted fresh and was well priced. $17 for a buffet, coffee, and juice. Overall, this hotel was great for one night but there isn't enough to do to spend an entire weekend.

Note-the pillow top mattress was like sleeping on a cloud. Heavenly.

Room Tip: The 'Mansion' building was just lovely. We didn't hear a peep in the hallway. Refuse to...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Four of us visited (2 couples) for a Fri-Sun visit in January for skiing. I don't ski, so this place was perfect for me. It turned out my friend and I stayed on Saturday while the guys went skiing, so we could take full advantage of not just the spa, but the outlets, which were about a 10 minute walk away. And boy did we take advantage of everything! After our morning of wonderful shopping, we went back, signed in at spa reception, and took advantage of the fitness center, pool and hot tub before actually having our massages. It was perfect! When the guys got back, we went back into the hot tub (kids went in for about 2 minutes before they remembered they were kids and don't like scalding hot water). That hot tub was just perfect! Big enough for about 8 people comfortably. The indoor pool was impressive, quite large, totally swimmable if you want to get your lap swim on. The fitness center was tiny, but the view was lovely. The treadmills were a bit out of date, but I can imagine that's not the most important selling point for a place like this. It worked, but wasn't the best. Then it was off to dinner at Amuse. The dinner was wonderful, though definitely expensive. The cheese plate... ugh! So good. Really, the whole day was a delight for all the senses! We had the brunch buffet, which was yummy, with a great variety, too. Anything from smoked salmon to french toast. I was a happy camper.

The rooms were even better than I thought that they would be. Everything was modern and super clean. The beds were a bit softer than I would have liked, but I'm sure others would love them. Really nice soaps, which I appreciate. And reception could not have been friendlier or more helpful.

Really all in all, the whole experience was delightful. I would totally go back, any time of year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!