“The most wonderful birthday vacation ever!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Essex
Montreal, Canada
“The most wonderful birthday vacation ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We love The Essex Resort more than any hotel we have ever been too! I mentioned that I wanted to spend the night for my Birthday and from that moment on Janette proceeded to make it the most magical birthday I have ever had ( I am 52, and have had many wonderful birthdays!) She included early birthday wishes ( colorful balloon bouquet. Image) on my confirmation email, then we arrived to find that she had not only matched the absolute lowest Priceline deal, but for my birthday they upgraded my room to King size, whirlpool bath and fireplace room , invited us to choose a complementary gourmet dessert ( I chose creme brûlée which was as good as the one I ate in Paris 5 yrs ago) and finally I was almost in tears to see a chilled bottle of sparkling wine with a card wishing me a Happy Birthday from the staff at The Essex!!!!
I have been here 4 times since August ( both with and without my children) it is a short drive to heaven! Swimming,shopping, biking,nature walks, tennis, campfires,Spa, gourmet yet reasonablely priced meals.... I could go on and on! It is always clean, friendly,relaxing, comfortable while feeling pampered! We love The Essex!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny and the heat can be adjusted in the room so you are guaranteed to b...

849 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I were staying the weekend at Stowe Mountain Lounge and needed a hotel near the airport for one night. We've seen The Essex Culinary Resort on Jetsetter.com a few times and found a great rate for $88. We arrived around midnight and were put in 'The Mansion' part of the resort. The Resort is very cozy and doesn't seem to be as expansive as the pictures. It was however snowing, so most of the outdoor areas were blocked off due to ice. The cooking area was in one big kitchen area, amongst guest rooms. When booking, request not to stay near the classroom as the close proximity could be noisy. The pool is massive and is located in its own building.. We didn't have time to visit the spa but the setting seemed tranquil and smelled amazing. The breakfast buffet tasted fresh and was well priced. $17 for a buffet, coffee, and juice. Overall, this hotel was great for one night but there isn't enough to do to spend an entire weekend.

Note-the pillow top mattress was like sleeping on a cloud. Heavenly.

Room Tip: The 'Mansion' building was just lovely. We didn't hear a peep in the hallway. Refuse to...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Four of us visited (2 couples) for a Fri-Sun visit in January for skiing. I don't ski, so this place was perfect for me. It turned out my friend and I stayed on Saturday while the guys went skiing, so we could take full advantage of not just the spa, but the outlets, which were about a 10 minute walk away. And boy did we take advantage of everything! After our morning of wonderful shopping, we went back, signed in at spa reception, and took advantage of the fitness center, pool and hot tub before actually having our massages. It was perfect! When the guys got back, we went back into the hot tub (kids went in for about 2 minutes before they remembered they were kids and don't like scalding hot water). That hot tub was just perfect! Big enough for about 8 people comfortably. The indoor pool was impressive, quite large, totally swimmable if you want to get your lap swim on. The fitness center was tiny, but the view was lovely. The treadmills were a bit out of date, but I can imagine that's not the most important selling point for a place like this. It worked, but wasn't the best. Then it was off to dinner at Amuse. The dinner was wonderful, though definitely expensive. The cheese plate... ugh! So good. Really, the whole day was a delight for all the senses! We had the brunch buffet, which was yummy, with a great variety, too. Anything from smoked salmon to french toast. I was a happy camper.

The rooms were even better than I thought that they would be. Everything was modern and super clean. The beds were a bit softer than I would have liked, but I'm sure others would love them. Really nice soaps, which I appreciate. And reception could not have been friendlier or more helpful.

Really all in all, the whole experience was delightful. I would totally go back, any time of year!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My huband and I were fortunate enough to be part of the "Downton Abbey Experience" last weekend for the Vermont Public Television Fundraiser. It was the ultimate experience in gastronomical pleasure and the Essex was the perfect backdrop. We drove in late Friday afternoon and the Essex was lit up like a snowy beacon, dressed in all her holiday finery. They really know how to make a weary traveller welcome with their polite staff, well appointed rooms and warm hospitality. Saturday night's arcade replete with the most delicious of meats, cheeses, breads, cookies and desserts was FANTATIC and the crowd rose to the opportunity with their level of enthusiasm, costumes and participation. The guests outfits were beautiful and everyone was caught up in the moment. The Sunday Brunch was out of this world and I am sure that no one who attended will forget this experience soon... Mrs. Pattimore eat your heart out...we have Chef's Arnd, Shawn and Christine.

Room Tip: The rooms on the end of the hotel facing East were very spacious.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed a night at this lovely resort. We took advantage of side by side massages which were beyond excellent and ate at Amuse for dinner and breakfast. We also consider ourselves "foodies" and were very pleased with both the taste and presentation of our food (rib-eye steak and lamb shanks) and an excellent arugula salad with pumpkin and pepitas. We didn't get dessert but when we left Amuse, the staff had put out chocolate/cherry cookies which we grabbed and thoroughly enjoyed. The only negatives: a rather soft bed and a somewhat noisy heating system you cannot regulate. However, the location, ambiance, and amenities outweigh the negatives and we would stay here again in a minute.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, around the corner from the elevator (room 205) and it was quiet and eas...
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

A great Downton Abbey themed weekend. The food prepared by the Essex was fantastic. The rooms were cute and clean. The beds comfy. Did not explore the health club and pool. Maybe next time. The staff were very friendly and nice. Only waited a few minutes to have the room ready and the staff called me to let me know it was all set. The restaurants are very nice with a clean decor.

Room Tip: It was just one night so no great advice. A little hallway noise but that is typical. 219 no view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at the Essex for 2 nights with my family but I wouldn't recommend it. Here's why:

1) The heater was broken BOTH nights. The heat was out of control! We had both windows open and it still felt like being in a sauna. The staff didn't exert much effort to fix it and did not follow-up with us about it. I had to keep calling throughout the night. They didn't even bother to make us happy by offering perks or discounts. Unacceptable!

2) Way too far from Stowe. Lets face it, if you're travelling hundreds of miles to Vermont and staying at the Essex to go skiing, then you want to be at Stowe Mountain but its too far. Its a 45 min drive (with good weather).

3) The staff was not very welcoming. They were nice, but didn't go out of their way to make us feel at home. For example, we were struggling with a bellhop/wagon full of luggage, but they didn't even open the front door to the lobby for us.

The good part:
- Its clean, has good restaurants and is dog-friendly

Suggestion: stay at Stowe Mountain Lodge. Yes, its pricey but worth it, and its dog friendly too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear James,

We sincerely apologize that we did not meet your standards during your recent stay.

There is frankly no excuse for your issues for the heater. I immediately made our facilities staff aware of the issue to ensure it is properly addressed.

Regarding our distance from Stowe, you are certainly correct. While we pride ourselves on being centrally located between downtown Burlington and the ski areas, we understand that people certainly like to be closer to the mountains. It’s for that reason that we partner (and offer discounted lift tickets) with Bolton Valley Resort and Smuggler’s Notch-- both of which are less than a half-hour from our Resort and offer world-class skiing.

Finally, I must apologize for our bellman’'s absence. I will certainly address that issue with our staff. It is not reflective of our level of customer service, and I appreciate the feedback.

Again, thank you for your candid review.

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!