“Treated like a Countess” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Essex
Boston
“Treated like a Countess”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

A great Downton Abbey themed weekend. The food prepared by the Essex was fantastic. The rooms were cute and clean. The beds comfy. Did not explore the health club and pool. Maybe next time. The staff were very friendly and nice. Only waited a few minutes to have the room ready and the staff called me to let me know it was all set. The restaurants are very nice with a clean decor.

Room Tip: It was just one night so no great advice. A little hallway noise but that is typical. 219 no view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

845 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at the Essex for 2 nights with my family but I wouldn't recommend it. Here's why:

1) The heater was broken BOTH nights. The heat was out of control! We had both windows open and it still felt like being in a sauna. The staff didn't exert much effort to fix it and did not follow-up with us about it. I had to keep calling throughout the night. They didn't even bother to make us happy by offering perks or discounts. Unacceptable!

2) Way too far from Stowe. Lets face it, if you're travelling hundreds of miles to Vermont and staying at the Essex to go skiing, then you want to be at Stowe Mountain but its too far. Its a 45 min drive (with good weather).

3) The staff was not very welcoming. They were nice, but didn't go out of their way to make us feel at home. For example, we were struggling with a bellhop/wagon full of luggage, but they didn't even open the front door to the lobby for us.

The good part:
- Its clean, has good restaurants and is dog-friendly

Suggestion: stay at Stowe Mountain Lodge. Yes, its pricey but worth it, and its dog friendly too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear James,

We sincerely apologize that we did not meet your standards during your recent stay.

There is frankly no excuse for your issues for the heater. I immediately made our facilities staff aware of the issue to ensure it is properly addressed.

Regarding our distance from Stowe, you are certainly correct. While we pride ourselves on being centrally located between downtown Burlington and the ski areas, we understand that people certainly like to be closer to the mountains. It’s for that reason that we partner (and offer discounted lift tickets) with Bolton Valley Resort and Smuggler’s Notch-- both of which are less than a half-hour from our Resort and offer world-class skiing.

Finally, I must apologize for our bellman’'s absence. I will certainly address that issue with our staff. It is not reflective of our level of customer service, and I appreciate the feedback.

Again, thank you for your candid review.
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We are locals who haven't been to The Essex in years. We were very impressed and definitely plan to return. The food was amazing and the service impeccable. Our room, in the third story of the main building, was well appointed and comfortable- although a couple of things were a little shabby.

• Stayed January 2013
South Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here recently for a quick business trip. Got in a little before dinner and it was already getting dark out so couldn't really talk about any drive-up impression. The check in was fast and very, very courteous.
My room was a corner king on the third floor. My impression when I opened the door was "wow, that's a really red room". After the shock wore off, I was happy with my accomodations, as the bright colors on the wall were definitely not something you'd see at a chain hotel, which in the end, was refreshing. Everything about the room was completely adequate.
I ate dinner in the tavern, which was so crowded I couldn't get a seat at the very large bar. Nonetheless, service was very good. I had filet medallions and lobster mashed potatoes with a Switchback (local beer). All were excellent.
If you can get this hotel at a decent price point, it's a slam dunk of a deal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hull, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently celebrated our anniversary and I found a advertisement on GroupOn for the Essex and decided to surprise him with it. It was more beautiful and elegant than the pictures made it appear. As soon as we arrived, the staff warmly greeted us, the white lights illuminated the whole resort nicely in the freshly fallen snow. The room was very nice and the pool/fitness room was great. The only thing I wish is that they provided a fridge in the room for left overs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Essex for 2 nights the weekend before Christmas on a Groupon deal. I was very impressed with the grounds upon arriving and throughout our stay, very beautiful. The front desk was pleasant and we checked in with no issues. We had our dog with us so we were placed on the third floor of the main building, furthest away from the elevator. This was kind of annoying. I would think we'd have easy private access on the first floor near a door. We did have a back stairwell right by our room, so we'd walk down the three flights to go out, but you could not get back in. We'd have to walk all the way around back to the main entrance to the elevator. Not a huge deal, just a little inconvenient.

The room itself was decent. Clean, bright, roomy. We had a fireplace, but it really gave off no heat, more for ambiance. The worst part was the AC/Heat unit. It sounded like a jet engine! They need to seriously update those units. And, as everyone else complained about, it was hard to get a comfortable temperature since you cannot adjust the thermostat under 68.

We ate at the Tavern for lunch, and I had the best turkey sandwich of my LIFE! Amazing. Then we had dinner at Amuse. I have to be honest...not great for a "culinary resort." I am somewhat of a foodie, so I get the concepts, but the chicken I had was very salty and not impressive. My husband's meal was also lacking. I would not eat there again...the Tavern was so much better!

We did not take a cooking class, but did indulge in the spa. I would highly recommend the spa! Beautiful facilities, the outdoor hot tub in the snow was so relaxing, and I had one of the best facials ever. My husband had a scalp massage after skiing and was in heaven.

Overall, this place is ok, but not 4-5 stars. It needs a few updates here and there. The restaurant should be sooo much better than it is. It has promise, but it's not as awesome as they advertise it to be.

Room Tip: If you have a dog, try to be closer to elevator/entrance on main level.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I checked into the resort for 2 nights to celebrate our Anniversary. Check in was pleasant and the front desk folks were wonderful. Our room was upgraded from a Qu. to a King. When we walked in, there was a chilled bottle of Champagne with two glasses and an Anniv. card from the resort ! I guess I mentioned it on the phone and relaxing with the champagne was a fabulous start to the two days. Very comfortable bed and great shower. The only problem with the room was that you cannot turn the heat down below 65, and we were pretty hot. Other than that, great room. Both nights we opted for dinner in the Tavern after busy days out and about. Food is wonderful, service...so-so.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!