“Decent, but could've been better.” 3 of 5 stars

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Essex
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Decent, but could've been better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Essex for 2 nights the weekend before Christmas on a Groupon deal. I was very impressed with the grounds upon arriving and throughout our stay, very beautiful. The front desk was pleasant and we checked in with no issues. We had our dog with us so we were placed on the third floor of the main building, furthest away from the elevator. This was kind of annoying. I would think we'd have easy private access on the first floor near a door. We did have a back stairwell right by our room, so we'd walk down the three flights to go out, but you could not get back in. We'd have to walk all the way around back to the main entrance to the elevator. Not a huge deal, just a little inconvenient.

The room itself was decent. Clean, bright, roomy. We had a fireplace, but it really gave off no heat, more for ambiance. The worst part was the AC/Heat unit. It sounded like a jet engine! They need to seriously update those units. And, as everyone else complained about, it was hard to get a comfortable temperature since you cannot adjust the thermostat under 68.

We ate at the Tavern for lunch, and I had the best turkey sandwich of my LIFE! Amazing. Then we had dinner at Amuse. I have to be honest...not great for a "culinary resort." I am somewhat of a foodie, so I get the concepts, but the chicken I had was very salty and not impressive. My husband's meal was also lacking. I would not eat there again...the Tavern was so much better!

We did not take a cooking class, but did indulge in the spa. I would highly recommend the spa! Beautiful facilities, the outdoor hot tub in the snow was so relaxing, and I had one of the best facials ever. My husband had a scalp massage after skiing and was in heaven.

Overall, this place is ok, but not 4-5 stars. It needs a few updates here and there. The restaurant should be sooo much better than it is. It has promise, but it's not as awesome as they advertise it to be.

Room Tip: If you have a dog, try to be closer to elevator/entrance on main level.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

786 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I checked into the resort for 2 nights to celebrate our Anniversary. Check in was pleasant and the front desk folks were wonderful. Our room was upgraded from a Qu. to a King. When we walked in, there was a chilled bottle of Champagne with two glasses and an Anniv. card from the resort ! I guess I mentioned it on the phone and relaxing with the champagne was a fabulous start to the two days. Very comfortable bed and great shower. The only problem with the room was that you cannot turn the heat down below 65, and we were pretty hot. Other than that, great room. Both nights we opted for dinner in the Tavern after busy days out and about. Food is wonderful, service...so-so.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cos Cob, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Far from impressed with the food at this "culinary resort.". Just paid $100 for room service for wings, 2 salads, a dessert and a few beers. The food was pretty awful - nothing spectactular or innovative about the cuisine and wasnt even moderately good. The rooms are very dated and show lots of wear. They are large and convenient fot traveling with a young child but the carpet is gross and the rooms in general are in need of a facelift. The spa was the best part and what I would recommend. My husband and I both got massages and enjoyed the facility.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This was my wife and I's second visit to the Essex, and a memorable stay it was. The service was top notch and attentive. We had a small issue in the bathroom, which was rectified within 15 minutes by the hotels maintenance staff. There is plenty to do within walking distance, but everything that you need is at the the hotel, especially the restaurants. There are tow on the premises, The Amuse and the Tavern. No matter what you choose - you will not be disappointed.

My only real complaint was that we could have used another relaxing day! We will certainly be back again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cicero, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our first time at the essex resort. The kids took a cooking class which they enjoyed and the huge indoor pool and outdoor hot tub were a big hit. Good times!! The inn is beautiful and the food is amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This resort was beautiful. The room we stayed in had two queen beds and lots of room to move. There was not much (drawer/closet) space for clothing but we didn't stay for too long so this wasn't a problem. The bathroom was a nice size and the shower was great! Two bathrobes were supplied for our use during our stay!!! The room was very comfortable - one of the nicest we have stayed in, in a long time. The property, in general, was stunning. The decor of the buildings was really nice ... everything was decorated for the holidays since we went in December, right after Christmas. There were Christmas trees, lit fireplaces and lots of ambiance. There was hot apple cider, coffee, tea, hot cocoa and homemade cookies throughout the day in the lobby. There was pastries and homemade bread for purchase in the lobby, as well, for a very nominal price. One day, there were chefs cooking in the lobby and food was provided to sample. We did not partonize the restaurants, culinary classes or spa but they all looked very nice. We actually were able to watch one of the culinary classes taking place and it was a two on one session and looked fantastic. The indoor pool was great. There were VERY large swimming lanes, plus enough room for kids to play. The outdoor hot tub was not functioning but we enjoyed it anyway. With snow on the ground, it was quite exhilirating to be in the hot water in our bathsuits outdoors. There was so much more to this property to enjoy but we had come during a major snow storm, we're not skiers and one of our children had the flu. We made the best of the trip and we LOVED it! We would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Huntington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We recently spent two nights at The Essex for a friend's wedding. We were in the red suite which was a nice size although the bathroom was small and made getting ready a little difficult. The room was clean, and although billed as a fireplace room, it had a small gas stove which was nice but not very charming.

While there we ate at the bar the first night and had two breakfasts at Amuse. The food at the hotel was pretty good, but I was slightly disappointed as we had such high hopes for a "culinary resort". The Bloody Mary was tomato juice and a lemon; I was expecting something a little more artisanal. I would however recommend the duck omelet which was delicious.

My wife got her wedding hair done at the resorts spa and it did come out very nice, they did get behind schedule but in their defense they were doing hair and makeup for quite a few ladies.

As far as value, I think the price was fair. We were charged a resort fee, which seemed a little odd being as everything was an additional charge and the pool was closed. I'm not sure what that fee gave us access to.

One final concern is that on the day we were checking out, housekeeping left the master key on a cabinet right outside our door. Anyone could have grabbed it and walked right into any of the guest rooms. I returned it to the front desk, but it didn't seem to be a big deal to the gentleman working. Who knows perhaps he was just putting on a poker face.

Room Tip: Fireplace rooms have small sealed gas fireplaces, dont expect a nice crackling Vermont fire.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!