“Relaxed, had a pedicure, swam and soaked and steamed and saunaed” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Essex Way, Essex, VT 05452   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
South Burlington, Vermont
“Relaxed, had a pedicure, swam and soaked and steamed and saunaed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Come early and spend the whole day in the spa and salon; eat lunch by the fire in your bathrobe. The women are friendly and skilled at what they do and the atmosphere is exceptionally clean and very beautiful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Marlborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at this resort for a weekend in February. We took the cooking class and booked a day at the spa. We both had a great time! The food was fantastic and the cooking class was SO much fun! The spa was amazing, so calm and relaxing. I had the best facial I have EVER had and so did my fiance! We upgraded to a room with a 2 person jacuzzi and it was so nice! The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. The spa is a bit pricey, but I felt was worth every penny! We spent all day there enjoying the amenities. We will definately be going back again! We will try the summer this time. Oh, and the staff are GREAT! Jason Butkus was fantastic and so was our chef Kerry :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dracut, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Had a great weekend. The spa and pool area were top notch. The room was very roomy and comfortable. Enjoyed the bon fire and found the staff extremely helpful

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

This is a lovely hotel with some unique features - a cooking school and spa on the premises, as well as an exercise and rock-climbing area that I didn't see. My husband enjoyed his cooking class, and I loved my massage. I felt totally pampered. There are two restaurants - an informal tavern, and a formal one. We ate several meals in the tavern and it was excellent. The desk staff were very helpful. There are cider and cookies in the lobby in the afternoon, and a cozy library with a table for games. The room was charming and well-lit. However, considering the prices for the room, the class, and the massage, it was puzzling that there was a bottle of water with a $3 price tag in the room. Surely that should have been complimentary. The tuition for the cooking class also had a beverage fee added on (they had some wine during class) and a gratuity for the teacher - which all came an additional 50% of the tuition. I have taken many adult ed classes, and never had to "tip" the teacher. My main disappointment was that one morning, we ordered room service breakfast (it was excellent), spent a quiet morning, and then left around noon to go sightseeing. We made sure to remove the "Do not disturb" sign. When we returned that evening, the room had not been made up. We were told that housekeeping leaves around mid-day, so we missed our chance. We were stuck with dirty breakfast dishes, coffee mugs, towels, etc. until the next day (the desk did say they could bring us new towels if we wanted). There was no information about this policy, and I was shocked that a hotel of this caliber would allow this to happen. It ruined an otherwise delightful getaway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

I'd never written any e-review, good or bad, but my stay at the Essex demands a statement from me on TripAdvisor. I can't speak to the hotel's culinary end; so I won't. I was there with some family for a 3-day ski trip to different VT ski resorts. For $380 a night for a deluxe one-bedroom, the place is highway robbery. First and foremost, their outdoor hot tub is not hot, maybe 93 F degrees. Hot tubs have to be 102-105 F. After two complaints, nothing was done to remedy the issue (and the pool? chilly -- shrinkage for sure), and in fact, the last night we were there the tub was closed doe to "frost-bite concerns." Think about that one for awhile, 'cause I'm still scratching my head. (We went in anyway for something to do.) The room's pullout sofa's mattress was right out of a 1950's prison exhibit -- totally concave, coils pressing up, beyond comprehension at $380 a night, let alone $89. And if bathrooms don't have vent fans, don't put smoke detectors right by the bathroom door so the detector's don't go off at 6:30 am, waking the whole floor, as ours did. (We forcibly disconnected it.) And a kitchenette with a dishwaher, a microwave, two-burner stovetop ... and no oven? Talk about a culinary challenge at $380 a night, with limited posts, pans, or accessories to boot. Carla and Kristy at the front desk were very nice and understanding. It ain't there fault. Kristy comped us a night and a decent cot without me having to ask. It's a shame that good employees such as them are left playing for losing management and ownership. the Essex is a joke at the rates they're charging. Heck, the Chateau Frontenac in Ville du Quebec is under $300 a night, if anyone wants a price comparison.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Syracuse, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Excellent service helped save a getaway to the Essex resort.
My wife and I spent two nights at the resort. We stayed in the main Inn and our general impression of the resort was that it was nice, but not luxurious. The rooms were spacious and the bed comfortable. Unfortunately, we had a couple temperature issues throughout our stay: the outdoor hot tub was well below a comfortable temp for the first day (the spa staff informed us that maintenance would be addressing the issue and it was fixed by the next day) and we lost heat in our room the 2nd night. The hotel staff was quick to address our concerns with the heat and offered to move us to a seperate room, or provide blankets etc. for our comfort if we preferred to stay. The front desk staff also helped us with reservations and a few other requests; in general the service they provided helped to make up for any of the issues we had with the actual facility.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Was really looking to a getaway weekend here but it ended up being a rather bland experience sadly. The restaurants are great though. My main problem was with the very dated looking rooms--they appear not to have been updated since the early 90's. They just don't go with the rates they charge for the rooms which are not cheap at all. Nice big tub but with horrible bright flourescent lights in the bath I don't know who would want to take a bath in there. Not a very good bed either. I'm also not sure if it was the hot tub and/or the pool, but one was so over-chlorinated that even after showering, my skin burned by the time I got back to my room. Overall not a horrible experience, just bland.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!