“Always a VT treat” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dorset Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Dorset
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Dinner at The Dorset Inn…always a treat! All of us here love food and enjoy sharing that with you. The warm and welcoming ambiance of the historic red dining room and cozy New England tavern allows guests to relax and enjoy the food, the wine and the friendly hospitality. As a member of Vermont Fresh Network, we support as many local farms and businesses as possible. Our cuisine is an uncomplicated, bistro-style that demonstrates classic culinary techniques and traditions with regional influences and reflects the freshest ingredients available. To showcase Vermont’s four unique seasons, the menu changes frequently.
innfan1796
“Always a VT treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

While staying in Dorset at Barrows House we wandered over to our last visit's favorite, The Dorset Inn. The tavern is just real Vermont with a wood fireplace. Very cozy on a cold winter's night. Patrick, the bartender, and Nuni, our server, have been with the inn for ages. They're knowledgeable and fun. The filet was mouth watering and the mushroom gratin delicious. The salmon was cooked to perfection. Save room for dessert. We had a sampler that was divine. As guests at Barrows House, breakfast is served at The Dorset Inn. Whoever's making the eggs benedict makes an amazing hollandaise!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at Dorset Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your evening at The Dorset Inn. You were lucky enough to meet two of our favorite staff members who always provide a fun evening for our guests. We hope you will be able to visit us again soon!

Yonkers, New York
“Just terrific.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Ate dinner at The Dorset Inn the first of two nights we were staying down the street at Barrows House Inn. Before we were done my wife and I agreed we were canceling our plans to eat in Manchester the next night and were coming back here again. The food, from appetizer through desert, was absolutely delicious. The staff was friendly and professional. One night we ate in the dining room near the large wood burning fireplace. The next in the adjoining tavern. The dining room was quieter but both rooms were warm and comfortable. Great restaurant. We will definitely come back the next time we are in the area.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at Dorset Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write of your dining experiences with us. We do like that we offer the same menu in our dining room and tavern -- each with a very different ambience -- guests love them both for different reasons. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in our area!
Niskayuna, New York
“fine dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Outstanding food, excellent wine selection, reasonable price. Very nice ambiance. Very good dining experience.

Visited January 2014
Princeton, New Jersey
“Waste of a lot of money!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were looking for a quiet dinner with nice atmosphere on Christmas. When we arrived for our reservation, the room had windows on 3 of 4 sides and we had a table near an exit so very drafty since it was about 10 degrees outside. When I asked for them to turn up the heat the woman said "I will ask someone about that" and then never did it because the thermostat was on the wall I faced. It took 20-30 minutes for our wine and kids' drinks to arrive. Bread did not arrive until after our salad. The info they gave me about the kids' menu wasn't exactly correct - yes, the entrees were the same choices but smaller but the adults got 2 courses (appetizer and salad) and the kids had to sit there for over and hour waiting to eat since they weren't offered anything and our bread came so late. The food was good quality, tasty meat and veggies, except lukewarm (although that could be because the room was so cold) but the baked potato was undercooked and hard. I have never gotten such a small serving of meat in my dining travels. All adult portions were unacceptably small; smaller than what a child should be served. The kids' portions were extremely skimpy and they left hungry. My kids don't eat much either. When we ordered two of us asked for meat "medium" and then were told it had to be rare "as that is how ALL the meat was cooked and the grills are off." How odd, are restaurants allowed to do this??? When the meat came it was raw in my opinion but just the way my husband and daughter like it (red). When my plate was set down first I said "I just can't eat meat that red" and the waitress left in a huff and I guess they found a way to serve it medium. Only they didn't ask everyone else so two people at the table were disappointed with their medium cooked meat because they like it rare. That's just unprofessional service. When we finished our drinks we were never offered refills or another bottle of wine which we would have liked. During the first 2 (adult only) courses I asked our waitress if the kids could have some raw carrots or something to munch on in leiu of the side dishes offered with their meals and the waitress got very flustered and then curtly said that "this is a very special night and we don't take any requests." Their were carrots on the salads so i didn't think that a few carrots would be such a big deal. Ice water was replenished often by someone different and much more courteous than our server. Overall it was a tourist rip off! I will say the room was pretty but very very cold and the service overall not even close to being attentive. Perhaps on a regular night there is more professional waitstaff and more value for the money, I don't think I'll be back to find out. The meal was far too expensive for us to leave hungry, cold and disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at Dorset Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your dining experience. Of course, we are dismayed that you were disappointed. We would have loved it if you had found our dining room manager and discussed your frustration with her in real time, so that we could correct the situation on the spot. This is always the best solution when you are not satisfied with the service or the food. We are very proud of our culinary/restaurant team and feel they do a consistently excellent job. We apologize for your disappointing experience and would like to offer you a gift certificate for a future meal with us. Please email us at our website so that we can discuss this with you. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
“Nice lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch and had a nice meal. We were one of two tables in the dining room. Everyone was very nice and friendly. My husband meal was perfect, but my ham and cheese sandwich was served to me very well done (aka burned). With the hard toast it was painful to eat. I did return it and was served a fantastic sandwich on their next attempt. Everything was wonderful, except for my first sandwich. I would still return to this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013