“Horrible!” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   66 College Pkwy, Colchester, VT 05446   |
Colchester, Vermont
“Horrible!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

This hotel is mostly AWFUL. There is no type of guest transportation service whatsoever. Getting a taxi is expensive because there is almost nothing in this area in terms of close by places. The hotel offers no coupons for its guests for transportation or anything. There are almost no tv channels on the television. If you want to have a special channel, this is not the hotel to go to. This hotel has no gym whatsoever so if you need to use a treadmill this is not the place to do it. This hotel offers no real breakfast for its guests. The most they have is small tiny muffins in the morning on the first floor. The hotel also has no pool and you can do your laundry but its going to cost you at least four dollars. The front desk staff is very pleasant though and very kind and if you need things they can get them for you at least some of them. The stoves are very good though! So is the fridge! The rooms are very big and the beds are nice. I believe that the hotel did have a bug problem a month ago and the guests rooms all had to be checked for these odd bugs that were coming into the hotel. The air conditioners in some of the rooms do not work but they will replace it very quickly if you need it done. I do not believe that the beds get made daily here. Its like only three times a week. I actually love staying here but sometimes i wish that they would offer more for there guests for transportation! A shuttle would be nice!!!! So would a tredmill! Also, a snack machine would be pleasant as well. I give it a two.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
handysextendedstay, Manager at Handys Extended Stay Suites, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to write a review on Handy’s Extended Stay Suites and we are very grateful that you actually “love” staying with us. At Handy’s Extended Stay Suites all of our one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites are equipped with full kitchens (four burner stove with an oven, full size fridge with a freezer, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, dishwasher). Efficiencies on the other hand are equipped with kitchenettes (two burner stove, fridge, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker), that is all for your convenience to prepare meals, including breakfast. The mini muffins and coffee are served in addition to what you can prepare in your kitchen. Guests who reserve our rooms online can benefit from the breakfast at our Days Inn next door. All our guests can use the gym and pool at Days Inn as well.
We take pride in maintaining our hotel for our guests. Housekeeping cleans rooms daily, unless you have the Do Not Disturb sign on your door. Checking for a “bug problem” is a routine precautionary measure; we apologize if that was of any inconvenience to you. As part of our efforts to maintain very competitive rates for our guests, we realized we could not justify a shuttle service since most of our guests arrive with their own vehicle. Thank you again for your thoughtful review and we sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

There are a few good things about Handys Extended Stay - the suites are spacious, it's a short drive to the center of town and the maid in our room worked hard to keep everything clean. However, the whole place is shabby and the management has a questionable attitude to safety. The fire alarm in our bedroom had been removed and the door to the stairway at the end of the third floor corridor was left open during our entire stay - photos attached.

The carpets in our suite were stained, the refrigerator was very noisy, the furniture was dilapidated and there were no stoppers for the sinks in either the bathroom or kitchenette.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with functioning equipment
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked through Hotwire. Arrived and she said "Do you really need two bedrooms?". My husband said he wasn't aware he had booked two but no we didn't. She said good, printed off some paperwork and handed it to him to sign. Um - that wasn't us. Maybe she should have asked for our names?
She went back, found our booking, and printed it out, asking for a card to pay the remaining amount. We pointed out we'd paid in full already. Oh, yes. She printed it out again and gave us our key. SO what to say about our room? I kept my shoes on at all times as I didn't know what all the stains all over the carpets were. I'm not sure if the cracks all over the plastic doors of the fridge/freezer are legal but they are certainly germ magnets. Not that we used the fridge - we turned it off because it was so loud we couldn't sleep. There was a motley collection of mismatched crockery and glass ware (not stem ware), some of which they had apparently got from the local brewery. The floor in the kitchen area was scuffed and torn - as was the furniture. We went in to the bathroom, scuffed and with some black mould at the foot of the bath - there was no stopper in the basin. Same in the kitchen - they provided you with a tablet for the dishwasher but no way of washing a couple of glasses or a knife - incredibly wasteful. We went downstairs and asked for a stopper. "Oh some of the rooms don't have stoppers, I'll see if we have a spare". She disappeared and came back and said "sorry, there aren't any". We had already paid on hotwire which is non refundable; the only good thing about the place was it was obviously very well cleaned. We decided to stay and spend as much time out of the room as possible in our three days. Free breakfast down the road at Days Inn wasn't worth the walk. On our last morning, I suddenly noticed that the smoke detector in our room had been removed. "Wasn't going to tell you" said husband "but the fire door at the end of the corridor is jammed open".

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Booked through hotwire for a 3 star hotel, got the Sheraton, when I get there, I had booked the wrong dates. Had to call hotwire to fix up problem, spent 1 hour on phone, they cancelled my Sheraton but still needed to stay somewhere 3 nights. They booked me here, at the Handy's extended stay. Was expecting to spend some romantic time with hubby, ended up in a fight! So deceived with the room, nothng to get hot about,compared to what we had supposably booked (Sheraton). Smelly, dirty, rusted, ripped , bent, squicky,old, moldy, small... any negative adjective is common in that room. No more to say than just stay away, unless u are a party animal and already drunk when you booked, that way you don't notice anything.I would never rebook here. Sorry.

Room Tip: pics to come soon, you can deceive then!
Quebec City, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This motel is very well located, it is at 5 minutes from Burlington downtown. All rooms are equip with full kitchenette, very spacieuse. Could be a five stars but......It is very very dirty. The stains on the carpet are all over, the microwave is probably wash once à year, you Will not feed a hogg with the pots and pan. When I asked the attendant about it Sherbrooke said thé owner refuse to buy new one. Thé oven and ventilator have not been clean since long time. There is mildew on thé ventilator.

Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I made several phone calls to the hotel before I arrived because I had questions about the location of the hotel. I had stayed there before but never noticed that the address on the bill was different then the address of the hotel. The staff was very nice to me and gave me directions so I knew I was at the correct hotel. The rooms were clean, they gave me lots of pillows, which is important to me and the staff that checked me in was as nice as the staff that checked me out. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: They are all suites.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was one of the cheaper hotels in the area but would certainly not stay here again.
The kitchen is terribly equipped, refrigerator was not cold, no ice on premises, water was discolored when first turning it on, shower curtain was too long for shower...which meant hanging in the bathtub with some mold given it stays wet, and tv's were mounted in corner of room but were probably 13 inch screens.

Positive - plenty of room with living room and separate bedroom...but that is all I would say.

Pay the extra 25 and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Just don't choose a room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Handys Extended Stay Suites? Share your experiences!