“Run-down and grubby” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   66 College Pkwy, Colchester, VT 05446   |
Pittsburgh
“Run-down and grubby”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

There are a few good things about Handys Extended Stay - the suites are spacious, it's a short drive to the center of town and the maid in our room worked hard to keep everything clean. However, the whole place is shabby and the management has a questionable attitude to safety. The fire alarm in our bedroom had been removed and the door to the stairway at the end of the third floor corridor was left open during our entire stay - photos attached.

The carpets in our suite were stained, the refrigerator was very noisy, the furniture was dilapidated and there were no stoppers for the sinks in either the bathroom or kitchenette.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with functioning equipment
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked through Hotwire. Arrived and she said "Do you really need two bedrooms?". My husband said he wasn't aware he had booked two but no we didn't. She said good, printed off some paperwork and handed it to him to sign. Um - that wasn't us. Maybe she should have asked for our names?
She went back, found our booking, and printed it out, asking for a card to pay the remaining amount. We pointed out we'd paid in full already. Oh, yes. She printed it out again and gave us our key. SO what to say about our room? I kept my shoes on at all times as I didn't know what all the stains all over the carpets were. I'm not sure if the cracks all over the plastic doors of the fridge/freezer are legal but they are certainly germ magnets. Not that we used the fridge - we turned it off because it was so loud we couldn't sleep. There was a motley collection of mismatched crockery and glass ware (not stem ware), some of which they had apparently got from the local brewery. The floor in the kitchen area was scuffed and torn - as was the furniture. We went in to the bathroom, scuffed and with some black mould at the foot of the bath - there was no stopper in the basin. Same in the kitchen - they provided you with a tablet for the dishwasher but no way of washing a couple of glasses or a knife - incredibly wasteful. We went downstairs and asked for a stopper. "Oh some of the rooms don't have stoppers, I'll see if we have a spare". She disappeared and came back and said "sorry, there aren't any". We had already paid on hotwire which is non refundable; the only good thing about the place was it was obviously very well cleaned. We decided to stay and spend as much time out of the room as possible in our three days. Free breakfast down the road at Days Inn wasn't worth the walk. On our last morning, I suddenly noticed that the smoke detector in our room had been removed. "Wasn't going to tell you" said husband "but the fire door at the end of the corridor is jammed open".

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Booked through hotwire for a 3 star hotel, got the Sheraton, when I get there, I had booked the wrong dates. Had to call hotwire to fix up problem, spent 1 hour on phone, they cancelled my Sheraton but still needed to stay somewhere 3 nights. They booked me here, at the Handy's extended stay. Was expecting to spend some romantic time with hubby, ended up in a fight! So deceived with the room, nothng to get hot about,compared to what we had supposably booked (Sheraton). Smelly, dirty, rusted, ripped , bent, squicky,old, moldy, small... any negative adjective is common in that room. No more to say than just stay away, unless u are a party animal and already drunk when you booked, that way you don't notice anything.I would never rebook here. Sorry.

Room Tip: pics to come soon, you can deceive then!
Quebec City, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This motel is very well located, it is at 5 minutes from Burlington downtown. All rooms are equip with full kitchenette, very spacieuse. Could be a five stars but......It is very very dirty. The stains on the carpet are all over, the microwave is probably wash once à year, you Will not feed a hogg with the pots and pan. When I asked the attendant about it Sherbrooke said thé owner refuse to buy new one. Thé oven and ventilator have not been clean since long time. There is mildew on thé ventilator.

Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I made several phone calls to the hotel before I arrived because I had questions about the location of the hotel. I had stayed there before but never noticed that the address on the bill was different then the address of the hotel. The staff was very nice to me and gave me directions so I knew I was at the correct hotel. The rooms were clean, they gave me lots of pillows, which is important to me and the staff that checked me in was as nice as the staff that checked me out. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: They are all suites.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was one of the cheaper hotels in the area but would certainly not stay here again.
The kitchen is terribly equipped, refrigerator was not cold, no ice on premises, water was discolored when first turning it on, shower curtain was too long for shower...which meant hanging in the bathtub with some mold given it stays wet, and tv's were mounted in corner of room but were probably 13 inch screens.

Positive - plenty of room with living room and separate bedroom...but that is all I would say.

Pay the extra 25 and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Just don't choose a room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 days at Handy's Extended Stay Suites. We had a suite with separate bedroom and kitchen-lounge. On the second floor, we had a tiny balcony, facing the back of the building, which was more pleasant than the front facing the busy road. Everything was in good working condition. The bed was more than adequate; we slept peacefully (until US army planes started taking off at around 10 in the morning from the nearby airport!). The place was clean, smelled nice, and the furniture was in good condition. The kitchen appliances were clean and functional (oven, stove, fridge, dish washer, microwave, toaster). A minimum set of utensils and dishes were available; we managed easily for a few meals. The breakfast included in the price consists of a 2 minutes walk to the nearby Days Inn. It was a very basic "continental" breakfast with no variety for the 3 times we visited. However, kids seemed to be very happy with the choices. A trip to the local market provided us with a much better breakfast in the room. The staff was agreable, courteous, always available, and ready to help. With the i89 nearby, we were always a short distance by car from our activities. It was an excellent value for the price.

Room Tip: Second and third floor rooms at the back have a balcony and are much more quiet than the front of th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Handys Extended Stay Suites? Share your experiences!