“Great beer and fun food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Café
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
New York
“Great beer and fun food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The pub is quite small and as there were no open tables so we decided to eat at the bar. This turned out to be an excellent choice as we ended up next to a bunch of locals who welcomed us warmly and gave detailed dining recommendations. Alan provided advice on beer, cider and whiskey.
I ended up with the haggis, something I had never tried before. I really enjoyed it but then I like liver and sweat breads - my wife likes neither and was not crazy about the taste I offered her. She had the fish pie which she enjoyed. We started with the potato skies with extra cheese, extra bacon (the locals insisted) - pure bliss!
All in all we had great time in a very cozy and fun atmosphere. We will definitely be back next time we are in town.

Visited September 2013

Ny
“Cozy pub in Chester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

After it gets a bit cool, but before the leaves turn, there's not much happening in VT. We were referred to this pub by an innkeeper in Grafton. They had a rather large menu with typical American lunch fare and lots of Scottish pub fare mixed in. I had a steak pie but haggis and bangers and mash were available. The selection of beers was great.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut, United States
“The Haggis was a good experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The haggis was tasty. My son enjoyed his Work of Art burger with fried egg, bacon, caramelized onion, provolone cheese, lettuce and tomato. My husband did not like his turkey sandwich with "special" sauce at all. He didn't even finish it. I tried a bite of his sandwich and I did not like it either. The sauce tasted like some kind of mustard. To be fair, I am very picky about my mustard.
The service was below standard. The waitress forgot my husband's soda. We had to ask for the check.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Guilford, Vermont, United States
“proper Scottish pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been to Scotland and this place is the real deal. Form the haggis and Belhaven (a proper Scottish ale – don’t ask for Guinness) on the menu to the proper football and rugby on the tv. Alan is a great host. Fine food and drink along with a great authentic atmosphere. I dare you to do better.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Florida
“This is the real deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

On Main Street in Chester, Vermont, here is a Scottish pub that really is one. In an area where lots of establishments claim to be a "pub," what a pleasure is is to find a place that really is one. There is a great selection of beers, combining Scottish ales and beers, with local favorites on draft. Of course, all the usual suspects are there in bottles. It's the same thing with the menu. Traditional pub grub, combined with U.S. comfort food makes up a terrific menu. Of course, a pub isn't a pub without the atmosphere, and it abounds here with a super friendly Landlord and staff providing first rate service. This was out first visit, and it certainly won't be our last

• Visited June 2013