“Beautiful castle, cozy condos and undescriptive pointe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Hill Resort And Spa

You added Castle Hill Resort And Spa to your Saves list
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2910 State Route 103, Junction Routes 103 & 131, Cavendish, VT 05142   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Beautiful castle, cozy condos and undescriptive pointe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

This place is a strange mixture of historic (The Castle), Modern and Cozy (Condominum Suites) and Average (The Pointe). I booked this through a deal online as well and enjoyed my stay. We stayed at a Condominum suite and it was great. The place was clean, modern with a country flaire. The water was a bit tricky but soon figured out how to get hot water. For some reason, the hot water was in the cold direction and vice versa. ALso you have to let it run for awhile to warm it up. Soon we had clean warm water for showering. The condo unit also have a complete Condo with kitchen, living room, and rooms for a family. I can see how it would be great during skiing season (too bad I dont ski).

We enjoyed both the jacuzzi and pools (indoor and outdoor). The outdoor pool was warm and clean. There are lounging chairs, a jacuzzi and a glass room for yoga/pilates. Next to it is the Aveda spa which we did not use so no comment. The indoor pool/jacuzzi was nice but not as impressive as the outdoor one. It was however open later.

The castle itself was magnificent and victorian. Very romantic. We missed the dinner- it ends at around 8pm. So we had to drive into town for food. Only thing open was the bar, so we were stuck eating hamburgers. Everything in town closes at 9pm, at least when we went in October. No night life to speak of, so not good for singles. We did have a change to eat breakfast in the castle the next morning. It was however a continental all you can eat breakfast. It was delicious with homemade granola and yummy pastries. Recommended.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing, peaceful, beautfiul place to stay at in the scenic green mountains of vermont. Pictures to be posted later.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Wilmington, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Castle in June, 2008 and again in October, 2009 on the $99.00/night specials. On our second visit, we brought another couple along to introduce them to this charming place. I've read many negative reviews for The Castle on Trip Advisor and we really can't agree with most of them. We do understand being dissatisfied with cleanliness issues, we would be too, but we did not encounter that on either occasion, nor did our friends. If you are looking for a modern, sterile feeling, run-of-the-mill hotel/motel with a restaurant to match, this is not a place you would appreciate. On both stays, we had the outdoor pool and jacuzzi to ourselves at dusk and enjoyed the warm water in both against the cool, crisp Vermont air. Our dinner experience at the restaurant on both occasions was relaxing and the food was great and priced comparably to any fine dining experience. Everyone appreciates and values different things, but we do recommend The Castle for those that appreciate the charm of a historic place. We have also stayed at the historic Belhurst Castle in Geneva, NY, which has the same feel as The Castle in Ludlow, VT... the plumbing fixtures may be old and the lighting less than modern, but that's the charm of the place and not everyone will appreciate the experience. Although there are legitimate and understandable issues that travelers bring up on Trip Advisor for their accommodation experiences, we also believe, based on negative reviews we've read for numerous places we have stayed all over the world and been more than pleased with, that there are some travelers that must always look for the negative and are never happy no matter where they stay or dine.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I wanted accommodations between Manchester and Quechee for a 2 night get-away and this was a perfect location. We chose a condo unit rather than the mansion based upon reviews of the noise levels in the older home and I am a very light sleeper. A 2 bedroom condo suited us very nicely. The condos are extremely well maintained and beautifully decorated and very quiet--not the typical ski condo. If you want to be near the mansion, spa and pool ask for the "M" building, otherwise ask for one further up on the hill for more privacy. We were in "D" building facing the woods--so serene! Also be rather specific on your bedding requirements upon reserving as there are a number of combinations that they can do by locking off various rooms. Only complaints were lack of internet service in the condos (have to go down to The Point lobby for wifi), which we knew beforehand, and a water maintenance issue by the town while we were there that resulted in brown water. Perhaps a phone call or note on our door for when we arrived back from the days activities would have been nice to advise us to run the water to clear out the brown would have been nice, rather than discovering it on our own before bed after we had ingested some of it from the kitchen sink, not noticing the color. We used our bottled water after that. We would certainly go back. Our favorite dining spot, Simon Pierce, in Quechee, never disappoints!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Torrington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I used travelzoo for a last minute deal...we slept in the castle last night and had a wonderful time . We were able to stay in an elegant resort, which normally would cost more than we could afford, at a fraction of the cost. The staff were friendly and helpful.

We used a $25 off $100 coupon we received, for dinner. I had the Beef Wellington and my husband had the fillet mignon. The three course meal, cost us $93 after the coupon and was worth every penny. My husband said it was the best fillet he ever had and that it was to die for. I've never had Beef Wellington before and it was scrumptious. They had a man play piano beautifully.

The grounds were well maintained and my husband took some nice pictures. We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean. We also didn't use the $25 off coupon for a massage, because it was still too expensive for us.

I recommend it, if you appreciate antiques and older buildings.

Tonight we are staying at The Pointe and I will review that after I go home.

• Stayed August 2010
Central Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I whisked my husband away for a few mid-week days to the Castle Hill Resort and Spa My idea was to romance the stress out of him...and to relax us before what was to be a very busy Memorial Day Weekend.

I let the staff of the hotel and spa know my intentions ahead of time, and they were AMAZING! My wishes were fulfilled, my husband was thrilled with our stay, and I couldn't be happier. I received one of the best massages of my life to boot!

We stayed in the Castle, and our room was perfect, clean, spacious, comfortable, and beautifully appointed. The dinner we enjoyed in the dining room extraordinary.

We both relaxed in a way that we seldom get too. Everything was attended too. There was no pretense.

The spa was wonderful...as was the outdoor pool. The weather was extraordinary for the end of May in VT. We were SO blessed!

We dream of the day that we can go back! Thank you for a wonderful experience!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a weeknight in July and had a wonderful time. This is an historic property, a stone manor house that once belonged to a former Vermont governor. It is not modern and if that's what you prefer, this isn't your best choice. But if you like one-of-a-kind properties, rooms that were originally splendid bedrooms in a mansion that are fitted out with antique and period furnitures, then this is a great place to stay. It features an elegant restaurant on the ground floor and we had an exceptionally good dinner the night we stayed. This hotel is booked solid during ski season - it's in the Okemo/Killington area -- but is available at bargain rates during the summer and especially on week nights. Service could not have been more attentive and individualized. The staff is exceptional.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We went to the resort last weekend & I was nervous about what to expect from the rooms based on some bad reviews. The rooms in the castle couldn't be nicer! Very clean & well appointed - with all the old-world charm one would expect of a historical landmark. The only downside to the room was that the very large, jetted bath was difficult to 'shower' in - not a problem once you figure out how to prevent the whole bathroom from gettin sprayed.

We booked the package through LuxuryLink.com & it was a very good deal - included 2 nights, breakfast, 4 course dinner (divine) & bottle of wine, champagne & chocolates & 2 25 min. massages at the spa....this was all for the price of about $650.

The spa is not worth the high prices - but I find this with most spas in secluded spots - guess you pay a premium for the convenience. The massage therapists were very good, but the girl at the front desk was not very nice. If you do get a massage beware of very hot days - the treatment room was ridiculously warm & uncomfortable.

The pool was loveley but very crowded - a bit too small for so many guests. Also, we were there for a romantic, quiet get-away & there were families with very young kids - used the iPod to kill the noise. Not a dexperience, but not as relazing as I had hoped.

We took our kayak with us & found a wonderful spot on Amherst lake to paddle - was amazing. We also took a great hike at the top of Okemo mountain - you can drive your car very close to the top & then take a nice hike & see the summit.

Our dinner at Cappuccino was amazing - highly reccommend this restaurant for a good meal & service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!