“Wonderful experience! Maybe they fixed everything?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Hill Resort And Spa

and 1 more site!
You added Castle Hill Resort And Spa to your Saves list
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2910 State Route 103, Junction Routes 103 & 131, Cavendish, VT 05142   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
New Jersey
“Wonderful experience! Maybe they fixed everything?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

Hubby and I did a weekend getaway with no prior planning~we just decided to stay wherever we were, and the Castle looked interesting enough to stop. We doubted it would be in our price range, but wanted to take a peek and were so glad we did! We were offered a great, one-night rate and ended up in a terrific room with a two-person whirlpool. The dinner was superb, service was excellent, and the pool/spa outstanding. As a former Vermonter, I know all too well the bad water situation--I'm so glad we missed it! Perhaps they took the other poster's advice and installed a water filtration system. Our room did have bottled water, and a wonderful working air conditioner as well.

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
fairfield,ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

We had a special deal at The Castle for 2 nights. It was fantastic. Because the hotel wasn't full, we were able to stay in the biggest room. It was beautiful. We also saw some of the other rooms and they were all lovely, including room 15 which someone had complained about. The staff was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to be accommodating. The pool and spa facilities were great. The exercise room had every piece of equipment imaginable. The weather was rather cool and rainy so it was fun to sit outside in the whirlpool. Ludlow is a good location for traveling to mid Vermont towns (Manchester, Woodstock) We will definitely return.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — almost nothirg
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

I travel quite a bit through Europe and India working for a technology consulting company.

I would drink tap water in India before drinking the tap water in this place.

My family stayed in the condos at Castle Hill which is next to the spa. The condos are privately owned homes managed by a Homeowners Association that maintains the condo units separately from the Hotel.

My party consisted of my two families with children ages 15 months, 6 and 8 years old

There is an issue with the water in the town of Cavendish that impacts every home and establishment. The water is Blood Orange red. One would expect a high end hospitality establishment to install a water filtration system to eliminate this condition. It is simply a cost of doing business. The management of the hotel took the position that there was nothing they could do. I feel that they should be required to disclose this to allow potential guests to decide if they want to book this establishment based upon this condition.

The high end restaurant in the hotel cooks with bottled water. The patrons of the restaurant are spared from dirty water but not the guests of the hotel. They don’t provide bottled water to the rooms. You are not informed of this condition but find out quickly when you settle down into the room.

We had to sponge bathe our infant with bottled water. My family showered at the Okemo Nordic center lodge.

This establishment should install a water filtration system. How can they portray themselves as a luxury resort with third world water conditions?

The staff leaves much to be desired. We wanted information on some local activities. We received no help from the concierge. We were told go to the Tourist Information Center for brochures.

If you expect to cook, bring all of your utensils, pots and pans. The kitchen is severely under stocked. We couldn’t even make pancakes for the kids on our first morning and the coffeemaker was missing parts.

In our condo unit there were many maintenance issues. The doors wouldn’t stay locked. We found our doors wide opened when returning from our activities. Two of the three toilets didn’t work; towel racks and toilet paper holders fell off the wall.

I don’t go on vacation to create a punch list for the maintenance staff.

I do not recommend this Hotel. This establishment tries to portray an upscale image with the gourmet restaurant and spa. They should definitely install a water filtration system.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — The dirty water
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Castle and had a decent time. We have stayed in all types of establishments...some were better and a lot more were worse. The building is beautiful and nicely decorated. We had a large room with stately furniture and a bathroom just as large with a jacuzzi tub. My husband will stay about anywhere but I always want warm water in the form of a HEATED pool, hot tub and a bathtub in the room(Jacuzzi even better). Even though I use my hot tub at home to death I still have to have that when we travel. We took advantage of the on site spa, using the outside hot tub each night and I got a massage. The first night at the spa after signing in no one bothered to take 10 seconds to explain procedure or offer us robes or slippers. I had to ask for robes and then go back out to get slippers.The desk was not busy when we walked in and I know they knew we newbies and not familiar with procedure. This was very tacky since you walk from the changing area to the outside pool deck and need a covering and footwear. The staff was very nice this night though and I got a wonderful 1 hour massage. The second night I felt the woman at the desk was rude. We went in an following procedure from the night before got our towels,(different ones for inn guest! ) that was ok by her but when I went to get robes from the same spot as the night before I was told those were for CLIENTS and there were some around the corner for us. This was not in a friendly manner,it was if we were free loaders. I get the proper robe and there are no slippers in the pocket. I go back out and ask and am told "what ever's over here"(by the forbiden client robes). There were none. When I ask again I am told "we don't have any." No explanation, no sorry ,nothing. Since I got the impression we were not important because we were not getting any services I was so happy I wasn't able to book a masssge for the second night of our stay as I intended. The facility I attend when home is a a true spa that offers many more services and pampers you from the minute you walk in the door until you leave. This did not feel like a spa to me. But on a positive note the lodging area staff were wonderful, very friendly and right on point. We arrived very early due to the weather and did not expect to be able to check in but received a phone call on our cell about 1 hour later letting us know our room was ready. We were taken to our room upon arrival and all mechanisms were explained....extra heating etc... The water while it looked normal coming out of the faucets, it was yellowish in the tub and sink. When the jets were put on brown foam formed on top which I scooped up in a plastic cup(which became stained brown). This bothered my husband a little but not me. I was just surprised the inn does not warn you considering how many people act like it's going to kill them. I understood it was minerals in the water but I also understand some people might be very upset by it. All in all we had a very good time during our stay

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

Booked a two night deal for what I thought would be a quaint romantic
weekend in a castle. Not the case at all! First of all it is not a castle so get that out of your head. It is a very small stone building surrounded by housing units. The first room they put us in had a view of a large dumpster and an electrical unit out the other window. The windows were completely covered in dust. After driving four hours to get here this was a disapointment. We asked to change rooms and they said we could move to another room for twice the price. Finally when I went in person to the desk (which is akwardly located in center of the dining area), they agreed to move us to what
was supposed to be our original room. Although the view improved, the
room itself was a downgrade. The toilet had a rim of filth in it. The
shower curtain had about two inches of mildow on it and when we were watching tv on the couch in the sitting room a bug crawled out right in front of us. Vermont itself is beautiful and the locals couldn't have been nicer, but this place is misleading. It seemed like the more expensive rooms would have been nicer, but definately dont get fooled like I did into thinking that I was getting a better price for
a luxurious room because it was off-season.

• Liked — where it is located
  • Disliked — the rooms were very dirty
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

I booked a romantic package at Castle Hill for our honeymoon. Given what CH represents itself to be - a quiet, small, old-fashioned, luxury hotel - Mrs. msambors and I enjoyed our stay greatly.

We opened the door to our spacious second floor room to find a bottle of champagne chilling, accompanied by a small box of truffles. The room charmed us with its period fixtures and tea lights in the fireplace. We had a nice view of the hills and the sunset from the big windows. A modern, but tastefully incorporated, amenity was the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Unfortunately, the tap water in the hotel was still yellow.

Mrs. msambors especially enjoyed the Aveda toiletries in the room and Aveda products in the spa. She thought that her half-hour spa treatment wasn't long enough to receive sufficient benefits. She'd recommend the one-hour treatments. Our one-hour massages were enjoyable and the masseuse was quite experienced.

I thought that the fitness facility was excellent; top notch. Their gym contained new Life Fitness machines for all muscle groups, including a Smith machine with plates and a big cable motion machine. It also contained high-quality treadmills and stationary bikes and a good assortment of dumbbells. Better stuff than the gym I belong to! The outdoor pool was too small for swimming laps but the outdoor hot tub was nice to relax in. The solarium would probably be nice in the wintertime.

We ate breakfast in the stately dining room each morning. The typical, but quality, morning buffet fare was available plus waffles and quiche on demand. The breakfast menu didn't change while we were there, which caused the meal to become somewhat tedious.

We supped in the dining room on one evening. It was the best meal we ate over our honeymoon (which continued at another property). We thought that the chef was creative with his presentation and ingredients. All of the entreé options were tempting, as were the desserts.

The grounds of the property were well-maintained. Mrs. msambors admired the flower beds. I appreciated how the owner endeavored to maintain the building in its original early-20th century state as much as possible. The ambiance was consistently elegant and old-fashioned. Bravo!

• Liked — Old-fashioned ambiance
  • Disliked — Yellow tap water
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for a few days in late June as part of a big trip we took from Atlanta to New England. We had some real highs and lows.

First, the highs: it is a beautiful property in a wonderful rural setting. The house is very historic and regally furnished. The pool and spa were fantastic. The landscaping was out of this world and really great. The food and dining experiences were superb, and the included breakfast was a real treat.

So, what was the problem? Our only negative was that our room was pitiful. We had a small room on the 3rd floor, basically in the attic. It had one small window about the size of a chess board. The in-room air conditioner was in the wall and interfered with the post on the bed, so they bent the bed post around the air conditioner. The bath room was old and had brown water. Worst of all, the electricity on one side of the room did not work, so we could not watch TV or turn the lamps on that side, which made the room darker. They called an electrician, who was unable to fix the problem. They said they would move us to another room but none were available. Of course, we got no discount or refund either. Whatever you do, avoid Room 15! The rooms on the second floor looked large, well-decorated, and had a whole wall of windows. If we had been in one of those rooms, we would have rated the overall experience a 5. As it is, we give the room a 1 and the rest of the experience a 5, which averages out to a 3.

Bottom line: if you get a decent room, it is a great property!

• Liked — Historic
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!