“Nice stay...nothing over the top” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Hill Resort And Spa

You added Castle Hill Resort And Spa to your Saves list
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2910 State Route 103, Junction Routes 103 & 131, Cavendish, VT 05142   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Nice stay...nothing over the top”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Castle and had a decent time. We have stayed in all types of establishments...some were better and a lot more were worse. The building is beautiful and nicely decorated. We had a large room with stately furniture and a bathroom just as large with a jacuzzi tub. My husband will stay about anywhere but I always want warm water in the form of a HEATED pool, hot tub and a bathtub in the room(Jacuzzi even better). Even though I use my hot tub at home to death I still have to have that when we travel. We took advantage of the on site spa, using the outside hot tub each night and I got a massage. The first night at the spa after signing in no one bothered to take 10 seconds to explain procedure or offer us robes or slippers. I had to ask for robes and then go back out to get slippers.The desk was not busy when we walked in and I know they knew we newbies and not familiar with procedure. This was very tacky since you walk from the changing area to the outside pool deck and need a covering and footwear. The staff was very nice this night though and I got a wonderful 1 hour massage. The second night I felt the woman at the desk was rude. We went in an following procedure from the night before got our towels,(different ones for inn guest! ) that was ok by her but when I went to get robes from the same spot as the night before I was told those were for CLIENTS and there were some around the corner for us. This was not in a friendly manner,it was if we were free loaders. I get the proper robe and there are no slippers in the pocket. I go back out and ask and am told "what ever's over here"(by the forbiden client robes). There were none. When I ask again I am told "we don't have any." No explanation, no sorry ,nothing. Since I got the impression we were not important because we were not getting any services I was so happy I wasn't able to book a masssge for the second night of our stay as I intended. The facility I attend when home is a a true spa that offers many more services and pampers you from the minute you walk in the door until you leave. This did not feel like a spa to me. But on a positive note the lodging area staff were wonderful, very friendly and right on point. We arrived very early due to the weather and did not expect to be able to check in but received a phone call on our cell about 1 hour later letting us know our room was ready. We were taken to our room upon arrival and all mechanisms were explained....extra heating etc... The water while it looked normal coming out of the faucets, it was yellowish in the tub and sink. When the jets were put on brown foam formed on top which I scooped up in a plastic cup(which became stained brown). This bothered my husband a little but not me. I was just surprised the inn does not warn you considering how many people act like it's going to kill them. I understood it was minerals in the water but I also understand some people might be very upset by it. All in all we had a very good time during our stay

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

Booked a two night deal for what I thought would be a quaint romantic
weekend in a castle. Not the case at all! First of all it is not a castle so get that out of your head. It is a very small stone building surrounded by housing units. The first room they put us in had a view of a large dumpster and an electrical unit out the other window. The windows were completely covered in dust. After driving four hours to get here this was a disapointment. We asked to change rooms and they said we could move to another room for twice the price. Finally when I went in person to the desk (which is akwardly located in center of the dining area), they agreed to move us to what
was supposed to be our original room. Although the view improved, the
room itself was a downgrade. The toilet had a rim of filth in it. The
shower curtain had about two inches of mildow on it and when we were watching tv on the couch in the sitting room a bug crawled out right in front of us. Vermont itself is beautiful and the locals couldn't have been nicer, but this place is misleading. It seemed like the more expensive rooms would have been nicer, but definately dont get fooled like I did into thinking that I was getting a better price for
a luxurious room because it was off-season.

• Liked — where it is located
  • Disliked — the rooms were very dirty
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

I booked a romantic package at Castle Hill for our honeymoon. Given what CH represents itself to be - a quiet, small, old-fashioned, luxury hotel - Mrs. msambors and I enjoyed our stay greatly.

We opened the door to our spacious second floor room to find a bottle of champagne chilling, accompanied by a small box of truffles. The room charmed us with its period fixtures and tea lights in the fireplace. We had a nice view of the hills and the sunset from the big windows. A modern, but tastefully incorporated, amenity was the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Unfortunately, the tap water in the hotel was still yellow.

Mrs. msambors especially enjoyed the Aveda toiletries in the room and Aveda products in the spa. She thought that her half-hour spa treatment wasn't long enough to receive sufficient benefits. She'd recommend the one-hour treatments. Our one-hour massages were enjoyable and the masseuse was quite experienced.

I thought that the fitness facility was excellent; top notch. Their gym contained new Life Fitness machines for all muscle groups, including a Smith machine with plates and a big cable motion machine. It also contained high-quality treadmills and stationary bikes and a good assortment of dumbbells. Better stuff than the gym I belong to! The outdoor pool was too small for swimming laps but the outdoor hot tub was nice to relax in. The solarium would probably be nice in the wintertime.

We ate breakfast in the stately dining room each morning. The typical, but quality, morning buffet fare was available plus waffles and quiche on demand. The breakfast menu didn't change while we were there, which caused the meal to become somewhat tedious.

We supped in the dining room on one evening. It was the best meal we ate over our honeymoon (which continued at another property). We thought that the chef was creative with his presentation and ingredients. All of the entreé options were tempting, as were the desserts.

The grounds of the property were well-maintained. Mrs. msambors admired the flower beds. I appreciated how the owner endeavored to maintain the building in its original early-20th century state as much as possible. The ambiance was consistently elegant and old-fashioned. Bravo!

• Liked — Old-fashioned ambiance
  • Disliked — Yellow tap water
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for a few days in late June as part of a big trip we took from Atlanta to New England. We had some real highs and lows.

First, the highs: it is a beautiful property in a wonderful rural setting. The house is very historic and regally furnished. The pool and spa were fantastic. The landscaping was out of this world and really great. The food and dining experiences were superb, and the included breakfast was a real treat.

So, what was the problem? Our only negative was that our room was pitiful. We had a small room on the 3rd floor, basically in the attic. It had one small window about the size of a chess board. The in-room air conditioner was in the wall and interfered with the post on the bed, so they bent the bed post around the air conditioner. The bath room was old and had brown water. Worst of all, the electricity on one side of the room did not work, so we could not watch TV or turn the lamps on that side, which made the room darker. They called an electrician, who was unable to fix the problem. They said they would move us to another room but none were available. Of course, we got no discount or refund either. Whatever you do, avoid Room 15! The rooms on the second floor looked large, well-decorated, and had a whole wall of windows. If we had been in one of those rooms, we would have rated the overall experience a 5. As it is, we give the room a 1 and the rest of the experience a 5, which averages out to a 3.

Bottom line: if you get a decent room, it is a great property!

• Liked — Historic
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

This is a really nice Inn, but it's location is a little too remote for our liking.

Check in was quick and easy, and our room was ready early. Since we had luggage, the girl at the desk told us to take the elevator, which
was a totally scary experience.I think she said it was the 1st working elevator in NH, and it looked it. My husband and I and our bags squeezed into a space about 3 X 3 ft. We literaly could not move, and luckily it did not break down on it's slow, creaky journey up. I would never take it again!

The room was really nice and roomy. The 4 post bed was comfortable and had nice bed linens. My only complaint was the pillows, which were flat-luckily there were 3 extras in the closet, and I had to use them all. There were wood floors and a nice fireplace, which does not work, but is supplied with lots of candles. At 1st I couldn't find the TV, but after pushing a remote it came up out of a piece of furniture.The bathroom had a claw foot tub/shower combo, and
was supplied with Aveda products.The whole building is wireless, and it is supplied free of charge.

Breakfast was served between 8-10, and there was a choice of waffles or cheese omelet. There was also granola, bagels, scones, hard boiled
eggs, yogurt, juices and coffee. It was really good. The pool is nice
and there is a hot tub as well. We did not use the spa, but it looked
good.

If you want peace and quiet, or if you are in the area to ski, this would be a great choice. We had to drive to Woodstock and Quechee to find good dining options and something to do.

Stayed June 2007
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

My husband and I just stayed at The Castle for a three day break from NYC where we live. We are very discerning travelers and contrary to some of the reviews below, we found it to be very lovely. It is set off the main road in Ludlow, which is a typical ski town with not a lot of charm, but there are many small villages close by that are wonderful and well worth visiting. The Castle is the former home of the governor of Vermont at the turn of the century with about 14 rooms. It does not have large grounds as a condo community was built close by, but it is private enough. The house is meticulously maintained and has beautiful plaster ceilings, chandeliers, as well as copious amounts of woodwork moldings, pocket doors, etc.. It is not at all stuffy and we checked in at the front desk of the house where the staff was always helpful. We stayed in room #11, which was one of nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. It was the size of half of our apartment in NYC- had antique or reproduction furniture, two wing chairs, a small sofa, etc. The king size bed had an incredible headboard and the bedding was very comfortable. The bathroom was also large with a footed tub with a shower. Granted it was not a separate shower stall but perfectly adequate. Everything was very clean. It has no passenger elevator, but the building is only three stories- come on, people can be very lazy. They do have a quaint dumbwaiter type elevator for luggage. We booked a package to stay here which they run very frequently in the off season and it was very reasonable. We received free breakfast every morning served in one of their beautiful dining rooms and it was fine. They had homemade granola that was fantastic. We also ate dinner there and the food was good. The dining atmosphere, including piano playing, and service more than made up for small dislikes in certain dishes. The spa is a small separate facility set back from the house, and is nice. I had a massage and facial and both were quite good. There are two heated pools, which were clean. There is also a small gym in the spa that has weight equipment as well as a small cardio room. If you are expecting a pricey spa atmosphere, go somewhere else but you will pay a ton of money for it. I would recommend the Castle to anyone. If you go, make sure to have a meal at the Inn at Weathersfield which is a fifteen minute drive away in Perkinsville.

• Liked — beautiful rooms and furnishings
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

This was a retreat for me and i had a BLAST!!!!. The service was 3stars all round. From the reservation to the checkout, we were taken care of by the staff. Despite the brown water from the pipes in the room, my overall stay was GREAT

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!