“Fine Dining in the Ludlow Area” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New B&B,old mansion,only pub menu at this time.Chef is amazing. Local sources for food. Local Micro Brews. The outdoor seating is unbelievable.
Ludlow, Vermont
“Fine Dining in the Ludlow Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Glimmerstone has a fine tradition of serving first class dinners in a wonderful atmosphere. The food is prepared with great care - and to your desired level of doneness (or undoneness). The service is first class and the wine list extraordinary. A great place for that "special" dinner.

• Visited December 2013

East Meadow, New York
“Glimmering on a snowy night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Magnificent Inn. Wait until you see the beautiful antique furniture . Such a beautiful setting inside and out. My fiancé and I have eaten here several times and enjoyed it. You can have fun at the bar with friends, drinks and great food, or dine in the beautiful dining rooms. It is a very romantic setting. The owner MaryJane cooks everything to order with ingredients from the local area. Always delicious and the presentation is outstanding. The burgers in the bar are one of the best I have had.
The mansion is decorated for Christmas, you should go see it. Looks like it is out of a magazine. It should be in one.
We live in Long Island and have a house near the mansion and always love to bring family and friends there.

• Visited December 2013
Westwood, New Jersey
“Unfortunate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The mussels, which we were told had been purchased that very day (but how long were they in the seller's possession? --that we do not know) made my husband quite sick for days. The location and the atmosphere are wonderful, but itls a shame that more care isntl taken to ascertain that the food is truly fresh.

Visited August 2013
VTInn_Girl, Owner at Glimmerstone Mansion, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
All of my mussels are purchased each Friday from Earth & Sea of Manchester, VT. They travel to Boston to pick up fresh fish multiple times per week and have a fantastic reputation for fresh seafood. I keep all of the tags from the mussels I purchase as evidence of the harvest date and I keep my receipts from purchase. My mussels are cleaned and debearded each Friday afternoon and then are kept under refrigeration and put under ice and ice water to maintain freshness. I am only open on Friday and Saturday evenings and what is not eaten is tossed away due to the public's health safety and most of all to stand behind my statement that my mussels are purchased each Friday. This is the first poor review I have received and never saw it coming as we didn't receive any communication from you while you were here or after you got sick. I am very upset by the post, first and foremost, because my mussels ARE fresh and I don't see anything in your comments that shows that it was due to my mussels. Should the mussels have been bad, the odor would have been so bad you would have recognized it immediately when they arrived at the table and I would have recognized it first and never have sent them to the table. Mussels are very easy to identify if they are not alive when being placed into the pan in which they were cooked. I am terribly sorry that you were ill but I am certain that it was not from the mussels you ordered and ate at my establishment. Should you wish to provide me with the exact date in which you dined with us I will gladly forward a copy of my purchase receipt and the tag that were on the mussels when they arrived. Mary Jane Abbate, Chef Owner
Providence, Rhode Island
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Words fail!! Tremendous food and first class accommodations. The renovations are extraordinarily done. Five star to the chef as well as the owner!!

• Visited June 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Unique and truly lovely inn and restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Late one afternoon this past October, my husband and I and our two friends were heading back to our hotel when we passed this charming stone house, brightly-lit and as welcoming as you could ask of a Vermont inn. "Stop the car!" I said to my husband. "Seriously, turn around - what IS that?" So we turned around, parked, and traipsed into the Glimmerstone Mansion.
As we entered the house, the beautiful ceiling caught my eye. To our right, a fired burned in the dining room. It was magical - and as we had been anticipating dinner at the usual apres-ski style restaurants up the road, we talked to the hostess, looked over the menu and decided to give it a try even though we weren't that hungry. We figured by the time we ordered and got our meals, we would be (and of course, we were :^) ).
In a nutshell - the proprietress and her staff at Glimmerstone are trying very hard, and succeeding very well - at creating a beautiful place to stay and a great restaurant to enjoy a meal at. The food was really great, though I suspect some of the area residents will find it a bit pricey (though they did have a $9 sandwich option, which is really a great option). But what really made our visit special was that owner has obviously poured her heart and soul (and probably some significant capital) into turning this historic and beautiful stone home into a place worthy of its name. They had just started offering dinner the night we were there and it was very quiet, so we got plenty of time to look around at the inn's rooms and speak with the staff.
My first reaction when we drove by - that the Glimmerstone Mansion looked like a special place - turned out to be completely accurate. I've been meaning to write this review for months and finally got to it - we are talking with our friends about returning this fall of 2013 to stay at the inn. I hope if you are in the central VT area that you'll take the opportunity to check out this unique and truly lovely inn and restaurant.

• Visited October 2012