“What a mistake.......” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
London,England
“What a mistake.......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

Firstly they couldn't find our reservation at the Castle Hill itself and told us they were fully booked - on pressing we were offered a condo at the Castle or a suite or studio at the Pointe - but there was no dinner available and no breakfast! Sadly it was a busy time of year and all other hotels in the neighbourhood were fully booked plus it was already mid-evening. The rooms we were shown smelled awful so we took the least bad - bed had only one bedside table, walk to it long and smelly. No milk or creamer available, when we asked were told they had run out! And no breakfast! This is a cheap hotel charging expensive prices and why it got the ratings it has I do not know. We hoped for a romantic night spot on our once in a lifetime Vermont trip and this was not it. If you want a motel at ridiculous prices come here, if you want a decent hotel go somewhere else with character and breakfast. And maybe dinner so you don't have to dine out with one unable to drink. Apparently they had a wedding, that was the reason, how were we supposed to know that? What a dump. Unattractive buildings, inconvenient check in system, a let down.

• Liked — nothing.
  • Disliked — overpriced. Smelled funny (?damp), unattractive access.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Ellicott City, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stayed at the Pointe at Castle Hill in February of 2008 for 5 days and had mixed feelings about my stay. After reading some of the reviews I was a little wearing about making a reservation, so I called and spoke to someone at the hotel. She informed me that all of the rooms had been recently renovated, but when I arrived at the hotel it looked as though they were still in the process of finishing some things up. Some of the baseboards were missing, some of the walls had been half painted and the carpets in the hallways looked very dingy. I didn’t really think anything of it at first, but throughout our stay I started to notice that there wasn’t anyone there finishing the renovations that were left. I would hope they have finished the renovations since our stay.
All of the rooms were supposed to be non-smoking, but our room reeked of cigarette smoke. We had booked a room with a king bed and when we wanted to switch to another room, with the same size bed, was told that the only available was a room with two queens. The room did look pretty nice, but the work done to it seemed shoddy. I liked the flat screen tv and the leather chair and the bed linens looked nice. I also liked the fireplace, game room, and tea available in the main area, but the continental breakfast was just average. The restaurant was only open in the evening on the weekends, so we had to leave the hotel to eat.
We booked the ski and stay package, but had some really bad weather. We didn’t end up going to the mountain some days, because of rain/ice, so we tried to get some of our money back for not using the lift tickets. We were told that we could get a discount, but the person that told us that was not there when we checked out and they wouldn’t honor it. We were also initially quoted one price and after check out was charged more. I called to dispute the charge, but the management never did anything.
At first glance I thought the property was great, but I left with a weary feeling about our vacation. I don’t know that I would stay here next time I come to Okemo.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

We booked a room for our family of 5, and I was pleasantly surprised to get exactly what was promised. The lobby is warm and homey with a fireplace and couches, a table with hot coffee and tea 24 hours a day, and a table with all the literature you'd need to find anything anywhere in Vermont. The front desk personnel were friendly and accommodating. I started to worry a little when we walked down the hallway which had an extremely worn carpet, missing moldings etc...but I think they are actually in the midst of renovating. My fears were allayed when we got to the room. An extremely spacious clean room with 2 queen beds, a pullout queen sofabed, leather armchair with ottoman, desk, new flat screen tv, huge clean bathroom and warm! And the best part was that the beds were more comfortable than mine at home!

The only thing that is confusing is their website. There is the "Castle at Cavendish Pointe" which is the adjoining property and I think they share services. That is the more upscale of the two hotels.

The hotel also is not cheap. We paid the AAA rate of $188.10 per weekend night. But, considering staying at Okemo was going to be more like $700/night, this seemed like a bargain. And when traveling with 3 kids, we like to be comfortable so it was worth it. However, for that price, I wish there was a better breakfast included. It's not a bad continental breakfast (there was confusion as to whether or not it was included...but we weren't charged at all), there just wasn't enough for all the skiers who were trying to get out at the same time. You could also pay a lot (I think like $12.95 or something like that) for a hot buffet, but it isn't worth it. The other alternative is to pay $2.99 at a local place called "The Hatchery" for a breakfast to go. Or just eat there if you are a non-skier like me.

• Liked — The size of the room
  • Disliked — No hotel restaurant for dinner
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Birmingham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

We stayed in the Clarion just one night and were pleasantly surprised. The room rates when we stayed were very reasonable and we were upgraded to one of the 1-bed suites in the new wing, and I have got to say that it was a really fantastic suite considering the price (about $160) - The furniture and fittings were brand new, we had a full kitchen, lounge area with fireplace, separate bedroom with kingbed and a large bathroom. We stayed here as a stopover while traveling through Vermont and I guess the hotel is really just a nice motel - the nearest town is about 5-10 mins drive away and the ski area which this hotel caters for is about 10-15 mins away, there isn't really much within walking distance. The hotel has some amenities such as a small pool and fitness room, and a small arcade room for kids.

We ate at the restaurant at the Castle Hill Hotel, its posh sister hotel literally two mins walk and we had a very nice romantic dinner.

All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Not much to do or see within walking distance
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

The water turned yellow brown, we could brush our teeth wash or do anything this was in the afternoon. The hotel said everything was fine. The hotel advertised alot and gave almost nothing. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

When we arrived, we noticed a change in the hotel. A whole new section of rooms have been added, which are studios and 1 bedroom suites. They are all new and decorated beautifully. We had a king studio with a kitchenette, dining table, and a fireplace. It was very roomy and comfortable. They only thing I would like to see changed is to have a pillowtop mattress on the bed, because the bed was hard. Other than that, the room was great. Lots of hot water for showers. We were also told that all the rooms in the original hotel have been redecorated. Would definitely stay again.

• Liked — new rooms
  • Disliked — hard bed
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

We have been skiing at Okemo for over 10 years and stay here every time we're in town. This is a reliable, neatly kept property only 3 miles outside the village, great for ski bums who like their hotels a notch above average; The fireplace in the lobby/lounge usually has a crackling fire to enjoy, there's a gameroom, large indoor pool and hot tub too; Already spacious, well appointed rooms were renovated in Aug 2007 giving them a classy new look with deep rich colors and flat screen TVs; If you can get away Sun-Thurs, sign up for their 2 night ski and stay package: $79pp/pd, including Okemo lift ticket and continental breakfast. When a lift ticket alone costs $69 per day, this deal just can't be beat!!

The hotel lacks a fitness room, and I recall it being overrun with tour bus groups on the weekends in some past years (maybe that's changed?), but for the price/value I still stay here every time. Generally its very quiet, especially midweek when I prefer to ski anyway.

Some restaurant tips: Sam's Steakhouse less than a mile up the road has a wide menu, great service and good food. Avoid the "fine Italian Dining" next door at Panarello's unless you don't mind paying $15 for tasteless spagetti and meatballs; Pot Belly Pub and Restaurant down on Main Street in the village always surprises me with their range of offerings - from burgers to pasta and seafood - all delicious and served with a friendly smile. A couple doors down, don't miss "The Hatchery" for breakfast - a Ludlow institution frequented by locals and tourists alike. Excellent food, fast service. Even though breakfast is free with ski and stay, I can't miss the Hatchery's blueberry pancakes!

• Liked — Clean, spacious, comfortable, convenient
  • Disliked — No fitness room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort? Share your experiences!