“Pleasant Enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Florida
“Pleasant Enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The first impression is quite nice and the front desk staff was friendly and informative. I'm not sure about 3.5 stars, but it definitely merits three.

We usually reserve a king room but got a deal on a hotel website and ended up with a double queen, which actually worked out well. The extra bed became ideal space for easy access to all our luggage.

Everything seemed new and well maintained. The furnishings were early American and provided for cozy ambiance.

The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were half-size and far too soft.
The room darkening curtains facilitate sleeping in.

The hotel provides Aveda shampoo, conditioner, and bar soap, but there was no body lotion. I don't think I've ever stayed at a 3-star hotel that didn't provide skin lotion.

The bathroom is small - not much room for personal care items - and the tub is too narrow.
One of our key cards didn't work, and the other worked sometimes.

Another missing feature was a full length mirror - always noticeable when it's not there.
There was a mini-refridge, but no microwave.

We loved the Keurig coffee maker, but there was no Half & Half, so you either drink your coffee black, use fake powdered creamer, or make a trip to the lobby to find the real stuff.

I got up and closed the bathroom door at 6:00 a.m. when the shower in the adjacent room came on with a roar.
I could also hear hall noise as people were leaving in the morning. The rooms don't have good soundproofing.

At check-in, the front desk gave us two $25 coupons for the spa up the hill. A couple's massage is normally priced $250 so, had we used the coupons, it would have been $200.

We were also given a $25 coupon for the restaurant on the hill. Neither of us are enough of a "foodie" to spend a hundred fifty bucks eating a meal, minus discount.
We did check out the restaurant though, for grins. It seemed stuffy, pretentious. I wouldn't have enjoyed it at half price.

For what we paid, the room was a good value. I would have been dissatisfied had we paid full price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
hartford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am out 100 nights a year. I got this for $65 plus on priceline. its close to 3.5 stars. The property is quiet and rooms are good sized. I asked for an upgrade and was put in a king with bunks even though alone. I ordered "carry out" from the restaurant up the hill and it was excellent though limited menu. There is also room service. There were negative reviews of the restaurant up the hill but if I did not have a major project to work on i would have eaten there. The ambiance is incredible. I would stay on this property again. Ludlow is 2 miles down the road and the restaurants were packed. Many good options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I got a Groupon for this hotel, so we took a girls' trip up to the area. The hotel was easy to find and right off of the main road. The building struck us as more motelish than resorty. The lobby was big and had a sort of mountainy feel to it. The girls at the front desk were nice & friendly, but seemed a little disorganized at check in and check out. We had a suite and were told to park around back and use the side door, which was closer. Very confusing, as there were no outside signs directing and many doors. A property map would be very helpful, also because the restaurant, outdoor, pool, & spa were located up the hill at the Castle. The whole setup of this place was a little odd and didn't feel like a resort, but the suites were awesome and the amenities were nice...indoor & outdoor pool, spa, there's a little arcade/game room for the kids, etc.

The suite was really nice and plenty of room for 4 adults...full sized kitchen, stocked with supplies, fireplace, large bathroom including washer/dryer, Aveda products, jacuzzi tub, and luxurious Turkish Towel Co towels. We were an end unit, so very quiet. The bed was comfy and not only a queen size pullout sofa in the living room, but a twin pullout chair also! Plenty of storage between closets and drawers, although some kind of storage shelf in the bathroom would've been nice.

Amenities were great! The indoor pool was nice to have and enjoyed the jacuzzi. Everything was kept very clean and nice pool towels were provided at the front desk. We absolutely loved the outdoor pool! Such a tranquil, garden atmosphere. Definitely more of an adult vibe, which we loved! Can't say enough wonderful things about the spa. The girl I talked to at the desk was so nice, accommodating, and informative. Smaller spa, but had a nice changing room, sauna, and little relaxation/waiting area. Bottled water, robes, and slippers were provided. We all had great facials and massages. They also have a pretty nice looking workout room and carry the full Aveda line.

The hotel was convenient to Okemo Mountain and Ludlow. Definitely would be a great base camp for a ski trip, as there were nice amenities for après ski! They're also pet friendly!

Room Tip: Suites are great for 4 people or a family! Regular rooms are in the front wing and suites are in th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
East Greenbush, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel on Groupon price ($193 for two nights, plus the $25 dollar credit towards the spa and another for the restaurant). The bed, (they didn't have any King size beds, so my husband and I ended up getting the double queen room), were comfortable, however we could hear the exit doors closing, the kids next door rough housing. So like other reviews before us, I do have to admit the walls were a bit thin. The shower had inconsistent pressure, and you had to get the dial just right so the water didn't fluctuate between hot and cold.

The "deluxe continental complimentary" breakfast..the only deluxe was.."yeah scrambled egg". No this isn't a plural typo, the egg was at best- one and half egg, a random cut strawberry, and pastries to your eye candy picking. For $9.95 per person, we were hoping that at least a waffle iron would be present. The ambiance at the Castle (more like stone mansion) was very lovely.
The actual dinner menu was well over-priced, (nothing really under $50 per plate) and being foodies, I could make the selections at home and for less. So we opted to go eat in town for some local flavor; Sam's steakhouse, (they are open till 9/10pm which is great for late night eaters), The Downtown Grocery, (which you will need reservations), and the Hatchery (breakfast and lunch)..were all reasonable and incredible, (which reviews will soon follow)

NOW the coup de gras--was the Aveda product endorsed spa. We got the couple massage package, this was actually the first time we had a professional massage. Kris and Deena were amazing, personable, friendly, and overall experience=FANTASTIC! The entire staff as well were genuinely customer service friendly. Which another bonus was the complimentary Aveda products at the hotel.

The hot tub at both the hotel and stone mansion were great.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Convenient location on route 103, about 20 min off exit 6 on I-91. Rooms are clean but pretty small. 2 pools - one heated outdoor which is nice but had a strangely geriatric vibe - our kids were the only ones in the pool. Indoor pool was nice. Staff was very professional. k-cup in room. Everything was ok but not sure the 249$ room rate was justified for a nice clean motel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Providence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I would stay here again in a heartbeat! The staff at the front desk was informative and polite. I knew nothing of the area upon arrival and was pleased with how much the front desk woman knew. I wanted to golf, she pulled out a map and highlighted the nearest courses. I wanted dinner, she pulled out another map and highlighted different cuisine choices.

I was extremely impressed with how clean this place is! For the price, you can't beat the location and atmosphere. Highly, highly recommend.

So close to Okemo and right in the heart of the beautiful village of Ludlow, The Pointe is a great place for serenity or a plethora of activities...whatever you choose!

If this weren't enough, you can bring your furry friends! With pet-friendly rates at $99.00/night, you can't go wrong.

Bedford, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort while visiting family in Ludlow. The ONLY reason I stayed here was the dog-friendly...otherwise, the room rates were really high. I did purchase the Vermont "Pet-Friendly" package, which meant that my pet could stay in my room. That's it. AND the only room that was applicable was a queen room.

When I pulled up to The Pointe and went into the lobby, I had an "uh oh" moment. The lobby looked more like a nursing home corridor than a "resort." The gal who checked me in didn't tell me anything about the 'resort'. She just handed me a couple of coupons and then pushed a pet agreement in front of me. The pet agreement stated that I agreed to pay an extra $40 a night! Um, no...I had a package. She looked at it and said, "Oh, well...I guess that doesn't apply here." Had I not mentioned it...well, I would be agreeing to pay another $40 a night!

So, we get in the room, and it's pure Holiday Inn. Stains on the carpet. Standard furnishings. Not bad, per se...but at the price I paid, a pure disappointment.

We really weren't there for the 'amenities' of the property. We were there to visit family and sleep. Unfortunately, the THIN WALLS prevented the sleep part. A loud family was next door.

When I checked out, there was one person at the front desk. Two people were in the office behind the desk. There were six parties in line, and the front desk person was handling in-bound phone calls. She finally finished the calls and got to the people in line. The people in the back...they were chatting. When four of the parties had be served, someone finally decided to come out from the back and help customers. When it was my turn, I told the desk clerk that I was disappointed in my stay, that the walls were way too thin, and I was dismayed that all they had was a Continental breakfast. "Oh no, we cook to order." Okay, so why was there NO information about the restaurant in the room? I told the clerk that I thought the hotel was too pricey for the mediocre rooms. He started arguing with me, telling me that they had the BEST amenities, a great pool, a great restaurant, etc.

I suppose that would have been good information when I checked IN..not when I checked OUT.

All in all, I'm sure that this place does have nice amenities. However, the rooms are less than 'luxurious' and the Pointe feels and looks like a mid-budget motel. For over $200 for a night...it's really not worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort? Share your experiences!