“Immaculate, comfortable, and friendly” 5 of 5 stars

319 North Road, Castleton, VT 05735   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Castleton B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Immaculate, comfortable, and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Boyfriend and I very much enjoyed our stay at Applewood. Our room ("Delia") was immaculately clean-- not huge, but plenty of space. Nancy was very welcoming in her introduction to the home and the local town. The home sits on a quiet street, and we enjoyed a short walk around the yard and garden. Breakfast was very tasty, in a casual setting. Have stayed at many inns/b&bs, and we highly recommend this one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Lake Hortonia, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We've stayed at Applewood Manor several times and have always enjoyed the beautiful atmosphere, the lovely grounds, wonderful breakfasts and lively conversations with Nancy. We definately would recommend Applewood Manor to our friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ballston Spa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My sisters and I stayed at the Applewood Manor B&B on July 18th and we couldn't have been more pleased. The grounds were immaculate with loads of flowers. The Manor itself was beautiful with a lot of attention to detail. I stayed in Sarah's room and felt like I was transported back into time with the period wallpaper and elegant decor.Our hostess, Nancy, greeted us upon arrival with a pitcher of lemonade which was ideal since we had just spent the day hiking. We took full advantage of the pool, being hot and tired after our hike. Breakfast the next morning was delicious. I loved this place and would like to go back again someday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bloomfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Applewood Manor B&B in Castleton, VT on July 7-8. Once I saw the place, I was immediately sorry that we were only staying for one night. The place is beautifully kept, both inside and out - meticulously clean and very attractive. There were a number of places one could settle outside of their bedroom, including a large deck area and a great pool which, alas, we didn't get to use.

Breakfast was very good and beautifully served. Nancy, our hostess, was most gracious, and sat with us after breakfast when we engaged in a lengthy conversation. To complete the package, there is the proverbial house dog, and the unusual, and beautiful, house macaw named Mya. Altogether, a delightful, albeit too short, stay. If I find myself in that area again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there, and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Hannah's room was a large, comfortable room with a canopy king-size bed, and a bathroom the size...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Nancy is sane, welcoming, gracious. (Didn't see Ralph much.) The inn is so charming and mindfully kept - without being at all pretentious or grandiose - it's so pleasant, clean, inviting..... the site is so beautiful, quiet, with rustling winds and birds and small but rolly hills and fields... Everything about this inn was a delight. Wish I could return multiple times.

Room Tip: They are all beautiful and homey.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I came to Castleton for a week to write, and stayed at the Applewood Manor B&B the entire time. I was able to relax completely here and focus on my work, and produce double the amount of pages that I had set as my goal.

Each morning I would get a wonderfully custom-made breakfast of blueberry pancakes, french toast, omelet or eggs Benedict, lots of deliciously strong coffee, and enjoy the sights and sounds of the countryside like an occasional hummingbird that would drop by the feeder next to the table.

Mostly during the day I would walk around Castleton, and the B&B is only about a block off the main street. It's a pity there's no sidewalks, but that's not the B&B's fault. It's also right next to the famous Castleton River, which you can walk over every time you walk into town, and they also have a little path that runs alongside it with a picnic table near the end. Bring bug spray though, the horse flies can get nasty!

I would also frequently go out driving to the nearby cities like Rutland for restaurants, or down to Poultney for more historical buildings, but Castleton seemed really central to everything I was interested in seeing.

As someone who loves historical architecture, I was pleased to find their house was a 200 year old federal style built by one of Castleton's first sons, Noah Hoyt, and they had a lot of historical pictures and descriptions of the house and family in the main rooms. I had stayed in Noah's room, and it was very comfortable, though the floors were a bit creaky.

I had stayed during a particularly bad heat wave, and because the house was built so long ago there's no proper HVAC/AC system set up for the house. However there was an AC unit in each room, so as long as I stayed in my room writing for these particularly hot days, I was able to keep cool and comfortable. They also had a swimming pool, but alas, I had forgotten my swimsuit. One evening though, I did stick my feet in the pool while reading, and it was a very nice spot to sit and relax.

Room Tip: I was in Noah's room and loved it, though I think any would be fine.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We are an Australian couple that spent eight weeks travelling through the North East of USA and Canada and Applewood Manor was one of the high lights of our trip. Made the mistake of only staying one night but a return trip is on our bucket list. Hopefully one day(maybe a week) and a special Thank you to Nancy and Ralph our perfect host.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Applewood Manor Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!