“still as good as it ever was” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jackson's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canaan
Jackson's Lodge
You added Jackson's Lodge to your Saves list
213 Jackson's Lodge Road, P.O. Box 384, Canaan, VT   |
connecticut
“still as good as it ever was”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had not been to Jacksons in about 40 years. I went with my family when I was a teenager and it was a wonderful place for a family vacation. I wanted to bring my wife up there because she likes the outdoors and all the mountain hikes that are available. She was not disappointed. I on the other hand struggled mightily with with some of the steep climbs. Gloria and Mark were tremendous hosts and were willing to look after anything we needed. They now have free kyacks and that lake is a great place to do it. It is good that it is so far away because too many people there would ruin it. If you want a restful quiet vacation devoid of phones, TV and the computer then Jacksons is the place. Even though it is a pet friendly place everything was extremely clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Danville, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

There were four of us biking the Mostly Moose Loop, Jackson's Lodge was at a great spot for an overnight on the 70 mile round trip. It turned out not to be just a place to stay en route, but a fun, warm and welcome time with the very generous, Gloria and Mark. If you haven't read the other reviews, go ahead, they are great descriptions of a place to "be" for a night, a weekend or a week. Have you ever seen a 5 star, no exceptions, review before? It is for real. The peaceful and beautiful setting are highlighted by the warmth of the workers and the friendliness of the folks staying there. There is plenty to do if you haven't just biked there - kayak, fish, swim, volley ball, ping pong, etc

The breakfast food is amazing.

When I fell in the lake (O.K. I didn't really want to mention that but it does add to the story) Mark was there before I could stand up and realize what had happened - guests had called and there he was, the assist included a set of clothes and drier for this biker who didn't really pack for falling in lakes.

Bikers, the loop is great. Yes, it does have those Vermont hills. It also has farms, a small town, more than one woman owned business (including Jackson's Lodge), the CT river, a restaurant or two and ice cream, as well as the beautiful Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge.

Room Tip: Let them know what is important to you. I know they will do their best to make it happen.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had a simply wonderful time in this very special place!!! The staff treat everyone like family in the best possible way and the accomodations and setting are lovely. Highest possible recommendation from me and my wife and our two Shelties-:)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I were on a two-day bike trip and stayed overnight at Jackson's Lodge. Gloria and Mark as wonderful hosts. They make you feel so welcome.

We stayed in one of the wayfarer rooms. It was bright, clean and nicely decorated. The room had a refrigerator, microwave and a coffee-maker. There is no TV in the room, but with a deck to sit on, it wasn't missed. There is a cast iron gas stove in the room which took the chill off.

Mark showed us the cabins. They were very nice also, especially when traveling with a group. There are kayaks available to use on the lake which is on the property.

The lodge has a cafe which serves breakfast on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. There are three large rooms in the lodge where you can sit and relax. One has a fireplace, puzzles, books and wifi. The wood floors, moose heads and views of the lake out the windows make it a cozy place to hang out.

Their generosity and hospitality go above and beyond regular accommodations. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have made numerous trips to Jackson's Lodge, and never a disappointing time. Gloria Jackson is right there for any needs that might occur, and Mark is the best fix-it fellow around (and also has the patience of a saint--every child that wants their "own" tree planted on the lodge grounds assisted by Mark can do so). At night, on cooperative weather nights, a fire by the lake and s'mores for all the kids (and big kids!) is fun for all the guests. If it is exciting night life you are hunting, this is not the place to go. If you want the best and most relaxing family vacation possible, with lots of outdoor activity for both kids and adults--as well as scenery to rival anywhere in the US--make a reservation at Jackson's before all the time is gone! Now, an added attraction with April's Maple just a couple of miles down the road--excellent maple products and some of the tastiest ice cream ever. And, weekends, breakfasts are served at the lodge--one can sit on porch, eat a great breakfast, and enjoy watching the hummingbirds zip around (better than tv!) And even more: available for purchase, one of my favorite deserts -- home-made raspberry pie--and the highest of compliments--as good as my wife's. It is one of our grandkids favorite places, too, in spite of the dearth of electronics so prevalent in the world of today. Wonderful to see the kids out playing—from the small ones to the teens, “Olympic games” to “Capture the Flag.” Of course, the lake is a big draw—nice clean and crispy cool water, refreshing in the heat of summer. As always, our cabin was spotless when we arrived. One of the nicest features—the welcome from the staff makes Jackson’s more like returning “home” than going on vacation. Can’t wait for next summer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Montpelier, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We found the hosts at Jackson’s Lodge friendly, helpful and willing to go the extra mile in setting up for our Board of Directors meeting in Canaan. The food was delicious, the setting quiet and very pleasant. There was plenty of parking for staff and community members who attended the meeting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Before we went, I wanted to go somewhere more rugged, like camping in a tent, but my Mother over-ruled me and my Dad and we had to find a cabin place instead. I was upset at first, because i thought it would be like a hotel, but when we got there, it was great for all of us. My little brother and my Mom enjoyed how we slept in cabins, and I enjoyed how i was still able to go fishing and boating, and even make a campfire. The cafe, had amazing food, and the lodge was good for when it was too rainy to go on a hike or on a boat. There are games and ping pong in the lodge. It's a very peaceful and calm place. The staff there are nice and will take time to tell you about places to go or good fishing spots on the lake. The lake and the views are beautiful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jackson's Lodge? Share your experiences!