“Always a favorite” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 188 Restaurants in Burlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Conveniently located in the heart of downtown, Magnolia Bistro is Burlington’s best kept secret. We are the first certified-green restaurant in Vermont, with a menu of breakfast and lunch favorites made with the highest quality ingredients available. We feature a great selection of local, organic, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and meat-loving items to suit any palate.
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Always a favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We always look forward to breakfast at the Magnolia when we're lucky enough to be in Burlington! Everything is delicious, well prepared and beautifully presented. The restaurant is tucked away in a little side street near the Church Street area and is in a cozy downstairs spot. Try the warm banana bread, the oatmeal pancakes or the cinnamon raisin french toast. On the savory side, the breakfast burrito and veggie hash are outstanding! They bring a big carafe of real maple syrup to the table as well as jars of delicious homemade strawberry rhubarb jam and homemade catsup. The service is always excellent and it's a very friendly place. If you don't get there by 8:30 or so, you'll probably have a wait on the weekend - but it's worth it!

Visited February 2013

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Awesome place for breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The menu is fun and interesting. The homemade bread is amazing and you can buy a loaf to take home. We had the carrot cake bread. The ketchup and strawberry jelly are homemade also. We can't wait to return. The service was wonderful and the atmosphere inviting.

Visited February 2013
South Burlington
“Breakfast @ Magnolia in Burlington,VT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were looking for a new place to have breakfast or brunch to celebrate my wife's birthday. She had mentioned Magnolia's in downtown Burlington so we decided to try it today. This restaurant is actually not new, they opened in 2007 but we had not experienced it. It is hidden a little bit, just walk to the building behind American Flatbread Pizza located across from Burlington City Hall. There is plenty of metered parking on the street within 150 ft of the building entrance. Do not park in the small lot in the corner of St. Paul & College St, it is only for permit holders. Your car has a great chance of being towed.

Once you enter the building you will see a large double white door with the Magnolia sign above it. Then walk to downstairs to the sitting area. The sitting area is quite large, cozy with a rustic/artsy decor. There are many paintings on the walls from a local artist. I presume that the artwork changes routinely. There are open tables and booths against the perimeter walls.

My wife told me that the woman's bathroom was very cool, it has many quotes and quirky sayings painted on the walls. I checked the mens bathroom but there were no words painted on the wall, there was a painted tree and colored spots in different areas. Both bathrooms are spotless and well appointed.

We were warmly greeted upon arrival and seated promptly. We were told about the specials and the waitress pointed out items that were popular. I ordered the Localvore omelet special called "Texas-rubbed BBQ Brisket & Cheddar" and my wife ordered the Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes and bacon. I also ordered fresh squeezed orange juice. The orange juice was so tasty and sweet!

My wife told me that the pancakes easily ranked as the best she has ever had. That is high praise as she is a pancake and french toast aficionado. I did take a bite and I concurred that they were excellent. Thick with a mildy spongy texture, oatmeal flavor was right on and with the blueberries the taste was supremely delicious.

My omelet was very good, the BBQ beef had a complex sweet and tangy flavor that was a great complement to the Vermont Cheddar cheese. The omelet was quite thick and it was folded like a burrito. The omelet included homefries and buttered whole wheat toast. The homefries were good but they were not warm. They have a good selection condiments and sauces. I tried the homemade ketchup and liked it. It has a much thicker and granular texture with a great mustardy flavor. They also have a good selection of pepper sauces that are locally made by the Vermont Pepper Works. I really liked their hot sauces Chocolate Chipotle and Hempin Jalapeño.

The service was very fast and friendly. Our meal was in the table within 12 minutes of being ordered. The prices are very reasonable, our breakfast was around $28. That was money well spent! We will be back with our kids and try their french toast, waffles and other omelets. I can imagine that their lunch offerings are excellent too. Looking forward to a great lunch!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wadsworth, Ohio
“Nice breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The food was very good. It is a little pricey for breakfast. Nice lighting for being in the basement of the building. It was busy on Sunday morning but the option of sitting at the bar made it nice.

Visited January 2013
“Delicious breakfast! Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate here last weekend during our trip to Burlington. A friend recommended this place and he was right. Breakfast was delicious. Prices were reasonable. $7 for classic breakfast (2 eggs, bacon, home fries, toast). Orange juice was fresh squeezed, coffee was good, fruit was fresh. Homemade jam and ketchup on the table. Staff was courteous and food was served promptly. Great atmosphere. Would definitely eat here again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere